ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-22-2009, 04:30 PM   #46
DirtDabber OP
cultural illiterate
 
DirtDabber's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Way, Way North GA
Oddometer: 7,927
You should have come up 28 with me then. I came 28 to Warwoman and stopped in Clayton to help Jan clean up after her event today. Made it to Clayton at 3 o-clock, right when they were finishing up and starting to clean. Gained some points.

Started to take a detour and see if I could find some motorcycle tracks near a certain tag but decided to boogie on.

Had a great ride today. I need to explore that area in South Carolina more. The area north of Walhalla has a lot of potential. Saw signs for Oconee Station and Stumphouse Tunnel.

The nuclear power plant we passed by is all blurred out on Google maps.
__________________
.

I wonder where that road goes?
DirtDabber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 04:32 PM   #47
Dirtysouth
Stud fee waived for noobs
 
Dirtysouth's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Location: 30120
Oddometer: 4,905
Clay, I figured you would've put that new shield on there by now. That bimmer sure is a looker for sure. I packed those extra discs that I had laying around and put them in the box for you Saturday. You're going to have to show me around your block one of these days.
__________________
"...When your time comes to die, do not be like those whose hearts are filled with fear of death,
So that when their time comes, they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over a different way.
Sing your death song, and die like a hero going home." - Tecumseh
Dirtysouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 04:37 PM   #48
flux_capacitor
I know a shortcut!
 
flux_capacitor's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2004
Location: Cumming GA
Oddometer: 9,617
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtDabber
You should have come up 28 with me then. I came 28 to Warwoman and stopped in Clayton to help Jan clean up after her event today. Made it to Clayton at 3 o-clock, right when they were finishing up and starting to clean. Gained some points.

Started to take a detour and see if I could find some motorcycle tracks near a certain tag but decided to boogie on.

Had a great ride today. I need to explore that area in South Carolina more. The area north of Walhalla has a lot of potential. Saw signs for Oconee Station and Stumphouse Tunnel.

The nuclear power plant we passed by is all blurred out on Google maps.

Well, I had planned on boogie-ing home with Coates but after we stopped for lunch I got my 2nd wind and ditched him.

I did not go get the tag but I will before I head out to the Scrub for sure.

I agree, that part of SC is cool-looking. I want to stop by the nuclear plant there sometime. That stuff fascinates me for some reason.
flux_capacitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 04:45 PM   #49
DirtDabber OP
cultural illiterate
 
DirtDabber's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Way, Way North GA
Oddometer: 7,927
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtysouth
Clay, I figured you would've put that new shield on there by now. That bimmer sure is a looker for sure. I packed those extra discs that I had laying around and put them in the box for you Saturday. You're going to have to show me around your block one of these days.


It would have been nice this morning.


Thanks for getting the discs off. I have to order some more packing. The only thing the local shop had was used.


There is a great road loop to come over to Clayton, Highlands, Wesser, Cheorohala Skyway, Tellico Plains, etc and then back down to Cartersville.
__________________
.

I wonder where that road goes?
DirtDabber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 09:56 PM   #50
DJones
Gnarly Adventurer
 
DJones's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Dalton, GA
Oddometer: 170
[quote=baglien]Now you guys are getting into my turf. There's some good riding between Hiawassii and Clayton - standing indian north of Clayton is some good FS road - cross over 64 and take Rainbow Springs

How are you guys getting across to 64 at Rainbow Springs? Is Standing Indian off 76 or 441 (north of clayton). I ride this area alot also, but have not done this one.
DJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 10:00 PM   #51
DJones
Gnarly Adventurer
 
DJones's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Dalton, GA
Oddometer: 170
Also, how do you put quotes from previous post in those nice little boxes?
DJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 05:33 AM   #52
DirtDabber OP
cultural illiterate
 
DirtDabber's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Way, Way North GA
Oddometer: 7,927
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDVET
How are you guys getting across to 64 at Rainbow Springs? Is Standing Indian off 76 or 441 (north of clayton). I ride this area alot also, but have not done this one.

You can't get from 76 to Rainbow Springs. However there are some good FS roads from 441 in Otto NC toward 64, although I have very limited experience with them.

As far as the pretty little boxes, it looks like you deleted the end quote brackets when you edited the quote.
__________________
.

I wonder where that road goes?
DirtDabber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 06:24 AM   #53
RBrider
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Oddometer: 305
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtDabber
You can't get from 76 to Rainbow Springs. However there are some good FS roads from 441 in Otto NC toward 64, although I have very limited experience with them.

.
Seems like Standing Indian is off 441 around Dillard Ga. I followed NC Hillbilly thru Standing Indian up to 64 & Rainbow Springs, but didn't pay enough attention, or, more likely, my CRS is kicking in. But I don't think we were as far north as Otto NC when we turned onto Standing Indian.

Great thread, thanks for posting!

RB
RBrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 06:57 AM   #54
phideaux
Beastly Adventurer
 
phideaux's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: NW Georgia
Oddometer: 3,300
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDVET
Also, how do you put quotes from previous post in those nice little boxes?
I can't believe a TECHNO-RIDER like SDVET can't put the quote in the "nice little boxes"! But then I guess if he's starting to stray into the 4WD arena we'll have to give him a pass.

Hey, boy....when we going off next?



From what I hear I'm glad we didn't waste a day going over to Greenville.
__________________
Iron Butt Association No. 22913

Mrs. Phideaux to her octogenarian friend when the granny wants to know if she can sit on one of my bikes:

"It's Okay, they only fall over when HE'S on them."


North GA Tag-O-Rama Map
Georgia Tag-O-Rama Map
phideaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 07:08 AM   #55
flux_capacitor
I know a shortcut!
 
flux_capacitor's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2004
Location: Cumming GA
Oddometer: 9,617
Quote:
Originally Posted by phideaux

From what I hear I'm glad we didn't waste a day going over to Greenville.
It was a good show, but not a lot of NEW stuff around. I know that's contradictory but we still had a good time. I MUCH preferred IT over the Atlanta show. It's layout was a lot better as well. Plus, even though we did not take advantage of it, they had demo rides going on. I don't recall the ATL one having that.
flux_capacitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 07:12 AM   #56
foster
Huh?
 
foster's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: Cartoogechaye, NC
Oddometer: 754
To follow the road from 441 to Standing Indian, turn off 441 to the west near Otto and enter Coweeta Hydrologic Laboratory ( big sign - can't miss it). Once you get to the Lab campus, follow the gravel road up and over to Standing Indian Campground and West Old Murphy Road. From there you can go left to US Hwy 64, then left again down to the southern end of Rainbow Springs Road.

While Rainbow Springs Road is open year-round, the road from Coweeta to Standing Indian is not. It will likely reopen in April or May. Potential for a good deal of slow moving traffic on the road to Standing Indian so use caution. Sightseers, hunters, hikers, horses, bicycles......then again, somedays there's nobody out there.

Nice report from Rabun, Clay. Hope you are enjoying that new-to-you Dakar!

foster screwed with this post 02-23-2009 at 07:19 AM
foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 09:20 AM   #57
DJones
Gnarly Adventurer
 
DJones's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Dalton, GA
Oddometer: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by phideaux
I can't believe a TECHNO-RIDER like SDVET can't put the quote in the "nice little boxes"!
I could'nt get the quote in the box there phido, but I did get that new tourance mounted. Right in the floor, the old fashioned way.
DJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 09:53 AM   #58
DirtDabber OP
cultural illiterate
 
DirtDabber's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Way, Way North GA
Oddometer: 7,927
Quote:
Originally Posted by foster
Nice report from Rabun, Clay. Hope you are enjoying that new-to-you Dakar!
Thanks Foster.

So far the Dakar is great. I really looked at the twins (and tripples) but had to go with the thumper again. I have found myself carring to much speed into corners because it is so much smoother than the KLR. Also I never realized how much I was compensating for the suspension (or lack thereof) on the KLR. Even with progressives front and rear I was still dragging the rear brakes a little thru the turns just to settle things down. It was very predictable though and could be pushed much farther than most would realize.

I think moving to a trials bike, the DRZ and the Dakar is going to give me a great range of choices that I can do anything with.
__________________
.

I wonder where that road goes?
DirtDabber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 12:11 PM   #59
phideaux
Beastly Adventurer
 
phideaux's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: NW Georgia
Oddometer: 3,300
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDVET
I could'nt get the quote in the box there phido, but I did get that new tourance mounted. Right in the floor, the old fashioned way.
U da Man, m'man!

I knew you'd use all that knowledge you gained doing all that six day (SD) event stuff for something!
__________________
Iron Butt Association No. 22913

Mrs. Phideaux to her octogenarian friend when the granny wants to know if she can sit on one of my bikes:

"It's Okay, they only fall over when HE'S on them."


North GA Tag-O-Rama Map
Georgia Tag-O-Rama Map
phideaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 06:20 PM   #60
Bluesky1
n00b
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Patton Valley, NC
Oddometer: 1
Beautiful Downtown Tiger

I pass thru this area fairly often. Just to note, there is a great Chinese restaurant in Tiger called the Fortune House. The food is fantastic, fresh, and plentiful. Neat little restaurant across from the Tiger Elementary School. Owner is Vivienne Ho - the real deal!
Bluesky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 08:11 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014