ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-27-2009, 05:56 AM   #61
phideaux
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesky1
I pass thru this area fairly often. Just to note, there is a great Chinese restaurant in Tiger called the Fortune House. The food is fantastic, fresh, and plentiful. Neat little restaurant across from the Tiger Elementary School. Owner is Vivienne Ho - the real deal!
She a Ho?

(Sorry, couldn't resist)

Mrs. Phideaux to her octogenarian friend when the granny wants to know if she can sit on one of my bikes:

"It's Okay, they only fall over when HE'S on them."

North GA Tag-O-Rama Map
Georgia Tag-O-Rama Map
phideaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 07:04 AM   #62
Fireman1000
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,278
I stopped at the Stump House Tunnel and the Russell Plantation in 2007 on my way to the Gap. Both very interesting places. If you visit the tunnel, take a flashlight. It's 4,363 feet deep, and very DARK! There is also a water fall near the Stump House Tunnel called Issaqueena Falls. Legend has it that the Indian maiden, Issaqueena, rode to the nearby fort to warn of an Indian attack and then escaped pursuing Indians by pretending to leap over the falls, but actually hiding beneath them. Here are a few pictures I found from the trip.

Fireman1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 10:15 AM   #63
DirtDabber OP
cultural illiterate

Oddometer: 7,655
Hidden Gems

Every once in a while you run across a road that is a "hidden gem". This is one of those roads. If you were not paying attention you would ride right on by and not even give it a second glance.

Maybe you found it on a map, or just wondered "Where does that road go?", and you set out to do a little exploration.

This has been one of my favorite roads for many years. It goes into a Management area so I steer clear during deer season. However there is great riding and camping in here during the rest of the year. It is gated at the ends so it is an "in and out" ride. That means you just get to ride it twice.

Lots of water crossings.

There are more than 10 other smaller crossings, and that is just on the main road. Of course you have some excellent road conditions to deal with as well.

On the way back to the office (yes I was at work ) I took another of my favorite roads and found this.

Luckily some kind soul was thinking of motorcycles.

I wonder where that road goes?
DirtDabber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 10:24 AM   #64
catang5oh
Blithering Idiot

Oddometer: 595
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtDabber
Every once in a while you run across a road that is a "hidden gem". This is one of those roads. If you were not paying attention you would ride right on by and not even give it a second glance.

Maybe you found it on a map, or just wondered "Where does that road go?", and you set out to do a little exploration.

This has been one of my favorite roads for many years. It goes into a Management area so I steer clear during deer season. However there is great riding and camping in here during the rest of the year. It is gated at the ends so it is an "in and out" ride. That means you just get to ride it twice.

Lots of water crossings.

There are more than 10 other smaller crossings, and that is just on the main road. Of course you have some excellent road conditions to deal with as well.

On the way back to the office (yes I was at work ) I took another of my favorite roads and found this.

Luckily some kind soul was thinking of motorcycles.

Cool picture with the cut down tree!
catang5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 10:41 AM   #65
phideaux
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,220
DirtD,

SDVET and I were wondering the other day about if you knew where Funk's Falls was, and if you've been up there lately?

Mrs. Phideaux to her octogenarian friend when the granny wants to know if she can sit on one of my bikes:

"It's Okay, they only fall over when HE'S on them."

North GA Tag-O-Rama Map
Georgia Tag-O-Rama Map
phideaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 10:49 AM   #66
DirtDabber OP
cultural illiterate

Quote:
Originally Posted by phideaux
DirtD,

SDVET and I were wondering the other day about if you knew where Funk's Falls was, and if you've been up there lately?

No, that is one I don't think I know about.

Old 03-03-2009, 05:01 PM   #67
Tripper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 173
Hidden Gem

Nice Pictures. I used to fish up that road back years ago. Thanks for posting those.
Tripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 03:39 PM   #68
DirtDabber OP
cultural illiterate

Earls Ford and the Chattooga River

There are only a handfull of places that you can get to the Chattooga river legally by bike. Four are Bridges, and two are roads that end at the river. Earls Ford is my favorite although Bull Pen Bridge is a close second.

Earls Ford Road is a nice long dirt road that parallels and then crosses Warwoman Creek. The crossing is a sandy bottom that requires an S shaped track to get to the other side. In the spring, and after rains it can be very deep. Right after I got my KLR I did this crossing in February and learned the importance of the T-mod. A u-turn in thigh deep water in February pushing a KLR is a memorable experience.

Anyway here is the crossing at Warwoman Creek from the west side. In the winter during non drought years these rocks may be covered.

And looking back the other way.

Here is the Chattooga River at Earls Ford

Old 03-22-2009, 10:18 AM   #69
DirtDabber OP
cultural illiterate

The back side of Lake Rabun as we call it in the construction business. It used to be dirt all the way through and would beat you, your tools, and your work truck to death going to the jobsite. Now, the the steep part and some of the dirt is have paved, which gives a nice combination when coming in from the Lake Rabun Dam. From this area, via Bear Gap Road and Low Gap Road you can link Rabun County with Habersham County. This give an interesting mix of roads from pavement to dirt to the Burton OHV area.

Glen Ella Resturaunt and Resort.

A new ? old mill off Bear Gap Road

Forest Service 2. I liked the low number. I wonder where FS 1 is? Rumor has it that there are some power lines back in here somewhere.

Old 04-11-2009, 04:16 AM   #70
6gun
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 174
Cool

I really would like to come ride sometime it's amazing that I live around all this stuff and don't get to see it very often. For those of you who mentioned the nuclear plant, there is a science exhibit called the "World of Energy" at the plant that is a must see especially for the younger ones or even the mentally younger like myself I'm 37 have seen it hundreds of times and still want to go back! So who wants to go?
6gun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 01:13 PM   #71
DirtDabber OP
cultural illiterate

Time to revive this thread and give a couple of updates.

Rabun Bald, the second highest mountain in GA at 4696 feet, is a mere 88 feet lower than Brasstown Bald. However the view from the top is much better in my opinion.

There is a nice logging road that begins where all the cars park at the end of Kelsey Mountain Road that will take you most of the way to the top. Then an easy .7 mile hike will get you to the tower.

This can be incorporated into some nice loops linking up with Warwoman Road via Hale Ridge Road.

Old 10-25-2009, 05:51 PM   #72
Willy-B
onebudwiser

Oddometer: 7,804
Just last week I was gonna bump this thread and see what was up because you always seem to amaze me with your N. Ga. knowledge.

Nice update, DirtDabber.

Are you any ken-folk to Flux?

Y'all sure do like water.

My theory, you only get one chance, go full fucking throttle, all the way, all the time.-Trip
Willy-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 05:59 PM   #73
DirtDabber OP
cultural illiterate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy-B
Just last week I was gonna bump this thread and see what was up because you always seem to amaze me with your N. Ga. knowledge.

Nice update, DirtDabber.

Are you any ken-folk to Flux?

Y'all sure do like water.

Hey Willy-B I was thinking about you guys today. Had Chili for lunch and hit 67 miles of local dirt.

I like Flux but we ain"t related.

Old 10-25-2009, 06:19 PM   #74
DirtDabber OP
cultural illiterate

Early in this report Fulx asked for water crossings. Well today I went through the longest water crossing I have ever been through.

Coleman River has taken over the road and the road is now part of the river. This is on FS 32 which runs between Patterson Gap and Coleman River Road

The water was starting to work it's magic on the roadbed and shape it to it's liking. Should be interesting in another month or so if the FS doesn't get a dozer in there first.

Here is another shot of FS 32 closer to the Patterson Gap side.

Old 10-26-2009, 05:28 PM   #75
Fireman1000
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,278
Very nice. I really need to throw my DRZ in the back of the truck, head north, and have you show me around a bit.
Fireman1000 is offline   Reply With Quote