ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-26-2009, 08:28 PM   #76
Jman955i
Falls Down A Lot

Oddometer: 1,714
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtDabber
Time to revive this thread and give a couple of updates.

Rabun Bald, the second highest mountain in GA at 4696 feet, is a mere 88 feet lower than Brasstown Bald. However the view from the top is much better in my opinion.

There is a nice logging road that begins where all the cars park at the end of Kelsey Mountain Road that will take you most of the way to the top. Then an easy .7 mile hike will get you to the tower.

This can be incorporated into some nice loops linking up with Warwoman Road via Hale Ridge Road.

Now be honest.... that .7 mile did you REALLY hike it. .
Its been a while since I was there, but if memory serves me right. After you get to the parking area and walk. Isn't the path kinda blocked by a large boulder or something.
Old 10-27-2009, 04:58 AM   #77
DirtDabber OP
cultural illiterate

Oddometer: 7,931
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jman955i
Now be honest.... that .7 mile did you REALLY hike it. .
Its been a while since I was there, but if memory serves me right. After you get to the parking area and walk. Isn't the path kinda blocked by a large boulder or something.

Yep two big boulders. Now if I had the trials bike.

We took Jan's parents up there in my truck. We were getting out of the truck at the end of the logging road right when this lady came up the trail completely out of breath. She was not pleased.

I wonder where that road goes?
DirtDabber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 02:17 PM   #78
Jman955i
Falls Down A Lot

Oddometer: 1,714
Quote:
Yep two big boulders. Now if I had the trials bike.

We took Jan's parents up there in my truck. We were getting out of the truck at the end of the logging road right when this lady came up the trail completely out of breath. She was not pleased.

Thats funny.
Old 11-02-2009, 07:33 PM   #79
DirtDabber OP
cultural illiterate

Venturing a little West of Rabun County there is a huge wilderness area seperating Hwy 197 in Rabun County and Hwy 17 in Towns and White Counties.

Tray Mountain Road and Indian Grave Gap Road are a couple of roads that are in this area.

The Appalacian Trail crosses the top of Tray Mountain.

The roads become very technical in places but large bikes should be OK with a competent rider. Smaller dual sports would be a hoot.

A few water crossings and some nice waterfalls along Tray Mountain Road on the eastern side of the Appalacian Trail

And of course some nice leaf color in the fall.

Old 11-03-2009, 07:19 AM   #80
flux_capacitor
I know a shortcut!

Oddometer: 9,617
Clay this is my favorite thread on all of ADV.

I have never been on FS 32. I need to find it. Doable on the Tiger? We need to ride together again sometime soon anyway. I think the last time I saw you might have been the Greenville Cycle Show (we going again this year?)

Tray Mtn Rd is GREAT on a large dual sport. Line selection is key, though, there are some gnarly rocks that could eff your whole day up if not careful.
flux_capacitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 09:02 AM   #81
DirtDabber OP
cultural illiterate

Quote:
Originally Posted by flux_capacitor
Clay this is my favorite thread on all of ADV.

I have never been on FS 32. I need to find it. Doable on the Tiger? We need to ride together again sometime soon anyway. I think the last time I saw you might have been the Greenville Cycle Show (we going again this year?)

Tray Mtn Rd is GREAT on a large dual sport. Line selection is key, though, there are some gnarly rocks that could eff your whole day up if not careful.

I just looked on the map and it is calling FS32 Patterson Gap Road so this one must be 32A or something like that. And yes you have been through there. When we came off Chestnut Mountain we went through there on the way to Patterson Gap. I think that was the day Crane had to actually take a picture.

And yes you are right, it has been to long since we have ridden.

Old 11-03-2009, 02:14 PM   #82
sdthorpe
Adventurer... yeah right!

Oddometer: 545
I went through FS32 on Friday and at the intersection of 32 and 32A there was a large grader parked there. So I'm guessing they've already started to repair the road...
sdthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 04:24 PM   #83
HiJincs
Wanna' B Hooligan

Oddometer: 625
DD,

A great thread! Since I was just up there for the first time ever nabbing the North GA tag, reading this when I got home was really cool!

I gotta' ask a question though, I'm new to DS riding and hesitate to ride off road alone. Do you, Flux and others ride solo a lot on these trips? It appears so. How do you handle the tougher stuff? Gauge the risk / reward and go for it?
HiJincs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 04:44 PM   #84
DirtDabber OP
cultural illiterate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dos Equis
DD,

A great thread! Since I was just up there for the first time ever nabbing the North GA tag, reading this when I got home was really cool!

I gotta' ask a question though, I'm new to DS riding and hesitate to ride off road alone. Do you, Flux and others ride solo a lot on these trips? It appears so. How do you handle the tougher stuff? Gauge the risk / reward and go for it?

I ride alone most of the time. Mostly because Flux is an ass.

Seriously My schedule is pretty packed and I never know when I will have to meet customers. So when the smoke clears a little I hit the road. I will leave a note where I am going and when I hit cell service on the tops email or call with the new plan. Sometimes I just wing it. I know it is not the best thing to do, but realistically we are not in the safest sport to begin with.

Usually if I am on a scouting run I will take the DRZ rather than the Dakar, just because it is lighter and cheaper to fix if lightness doesn't work out.

Give me a shout sometime and I will try and show you around.

Clay

Old 11-03-2009, 04:49 PM   #85
GA. DUALSPORT WANTAB
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,289
Quote:
I just looked on the map and it is calling FS32 Patterson Gap Road so this one must be 32A or something like that. And yes you have been through there. When we came off Chestnut Mountain we went through there on the way to Patterson Gap. I think that was the day Crane had to actually take a picture.

GA. DUALSPORT WANTAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 05:32 PM   #86
Fireman1000
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,450
As always, great photos, and great info on places to explore. You know us middle GA guys have to use our time wisely when we visit.
Fireman1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 05:36 PM   #87
sdthorpe
Adventurer... yeah right!

Oddometer: 545
Tray Mountain Road and Indian Grave Gap Road

DD, What state hwy do you think is the best way to approach these roads? Does anyone here prefer riding uphill versus down or am I just weird?!? (don't answer that!)
sdthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 05:56 PM   #88
GA. DUALSPORT WANTAB
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,289
75 Headed North out of Helen just past (ALT 75) on your Right. Go uphill until you see a large parking area, then take the road to the right. When it looks like it dead ends take a left then take it till pavement and turn left. 356 will be just over the hill.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdthorpe
DD, What state hwy do you think is the best way to approach these roads? Does anyone here prefer riding uphill versus down or am I just weird?!? (don't answer that!)
GA. DUALSPORT WANTAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 06:05 PM   #89
DirtDabber OP
cultural illiterate

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdthorpe

Uphill is definately easier than down. Part of it is mental and part of it is gravity.

Usually I just look at maps and try and link things together into some sort of a route and sometimes I just try and explore every possible side road in an area. It just depends on the mood of the day. Last Wednesday I did a huge loop from Clayton to Gattlinburg to Deals Gap to Cherohala to Robbinsville to Andrews to Hayesville to Hiawassee to home. Clayton to Gattlinburg was pavement to maximize time and then the rest of the trip I tried to stay on dirt as much as possible. Total miles for the day was over 400.

Get the Chattahoochee Forest Map, study the forest roads, then explore.

I don't like really big group rides but usually they will settle into smaller groups rather quickly. Big thing is ride within your limits.

Old 11-04-2009, 06:01 AM   #90
Fe Man
I am Iron Moran!

Oddometer: 7,999
Quote:

I rode on my Tiger Flux!