ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Results: Whats your preferred starting setup?
E-start only, I don't mind a hard ride, but I'm not wearing myself out at the start. 15 13.16%
Kick only, Sometimes a knee in the jaw is what it takes to get fired up. 9 7.89%
Both, For those moments I feel perky and the battery does'nt. 87 76.32%
Whats the fuss, the hill method will work as long as gravity does. 3 2.63%
Voters: 114. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-01-2008, 01:09 PM   #1
Onederer OP
Crunch Nugget

Oddometer: 666
Question E-start or Kick or Both

A lot of bikes have lost the manual starting option over the years, and some have gone to great lengths to add it back to theirs, but with the past repeat itself on this one? What would you prefer your bike to have?
Old 12-01-2008, 01:23 PM   #2
schattat
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,408
My favourite would have to be both.

Use the button, until the battery's dead.
Then you can kick.

Yamaha WR450F Rallye Spec
schattat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 01:27 PM   #3
Seikkailu_R
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 821
Both, or only kick start...
Seikkailu_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 01:31 PM   #4
trailhawg
n00b

Oddometer: 0
I say e-start, it's much easier to push a button. I don't have a car that has a kick-start option... If it will not e-start charge the battery or put a new one on. It's not difficult to solve the problem.
trailhawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 01:45 PM   #5
Fleg
Fleg in 2012

Oddometer: 2,127
Quote:
Originally Posted by trailhawg
I say e-start, it's much easier to push a button. I don't have a car that has a kick-start option... If it will not e-start charge the battery or put a new one on. It's not difficult to solve the problem.

I'd love to watch you solve that problem when you're out in the middle of no where. Hope you packed your jumper cables.

My Husky has both, love it. If I were to chose only one then it would be a kick start, just like my XRR has.
Fleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 01:56 PM   #6
BikePilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,099
For a fluffy dual sport I want e-start, I'm lazy and like to use the dual sport to plunk around town and lead rides for noobs. I'm not a fan of both as it seems like totally unnecessary weight, but not a huge deal either as dual sports are pretty porky anyway.

For a serious off road/MX bike I want whatever is lighter - usually kickstart I'd imagine.

Summer 2009 Ride Report http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...1509c&t=507038
Summer 2008 RR. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=367703
BikePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 02:09 PM   #7
trailhawg
n00b

Oddometer: 0
FlegI'd love to watch you solve that problem when you're out in the middle of no where. Hope you packed your jumper cables.

My Husky has both, love it. If I were to chose only one then it would be a kick start, just like my XRR has.

If I were going to ride in the middle of no where I'd make sure I had a fresh battery. If the battery is good and it will not start a kick start will not help! I see your point on a motocross bike (less weight) no lights. Dual sport needs a batttery for lights etc. may as well have electric start!
trailhawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 02:12 PM   #8
Para504
Spam, Spam, bacon & Spam!

Oddometer: 545
I'm a fan of both. If you're "stuck" in a bad spot (bottom of gully, etc) & your battery is on the fritz, a kickstarter is sometimes the only way around walking out of the woods (or at the very least a very painful / tiring extraction)... Of course, riding with buddies, and carrying a MC-sized jumper cable would do wonders too!
Para504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 02:14 PM   #9
Fleg
Fleg in 2012

Oddometer: 2,127
Quote:

If I were going to ride in the middle of no where I'd make sure I had a fresh battery. If the battery is good and it will not start a kick start will not help! I see your point on a motocross bike (less weight) no lights. Dual sport needs a batttery for lights etc. may as well have electric start!

I guess that's the difference then. Almost all my rides are to the middle of no where. That's what I get for living in the southwest. Batteries can and will just fail and I'd hate to be stranded. You can have lights without a battery.
Fleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 02:15 PM   #10
BikePilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,099
Its not all that hard to push start a bike in a bind (I've had to when a friend's kick starter broke off....) and if its a real bind I've even seen folks prop a bike up and use the rear wheel to start a bike (turning it by hand).

Also, its not at all clear that a kick starter is less likely to break down than an e-starter. It could be true, just not obviously so (I've seen plenty of broken kick starters).

Summer 2009 Ride Report http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...1509c&t=507038
Summer 2008 RR. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=367703
BikePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 02:36 PM   #11
dancolin
Weeeehaaa!

Oddometer: 1,004
Had to kick start my LC4 for half the summer before i fixed the button.. it would start on 2nd kick when cold.. first kick when warm.. and it suuuucked Arrssssse! having to kick the bike even once when it was 90+ and humid was hell.. i actually didnt ride on a few occasions because of it..
Also missed the perk of stalling it in the hairy sections and being able to hit the button to have it running again before the bike even comes to a stop..
oh for the record.. i didnt "have" to kick it before i fixed the starter.. but couldnt bear to hear the nasty grinding noise it made when i used the button..

06 KTM 950 Adventure
dancolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 07:38 PM   #12
MasterChief
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,131
both

e start saved me when I stalled in deep water, pulled in the clutch hit the button and was moving before I swamped.

Kick saved me when a short in my wiring knocked out all electrics, raining nasty day and didn't fell like trouble shooting on the trail. Kick and magneto alowed me to finish the ride and get home.
Old 12-01-2008, 08:01 PM   #13
TheDudeAbides
Sarcasm free11/11/10

Oddometer: 7,786
Quote:
FlegI'd love to watch you solve that problem when you're out in the middle of no where. Hope you packed your jumper cables.

You either havent ridden much, or you're just an argumentative ass clown.
I've had rides where I left with a fresh battery, had stator problems, wiring problems (as a result of a fall), starter problems etc, and I was 75 miles from anything. A kicker is a good back-up for adventure riders.

2001 BMW F650 GS Dakar (Stolen!)
2004 DRZE
2004 BMW 1150 GSA
TheDudeAbides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 11:02 PM   #14
cynicwanderer
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 555
e-start for those times when the bike stalls on the way up the hill... kickstart when the battery is tired... bump start down the hill when I'm tired...
cynicwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 11:59 PM   #15
dwayne
Silly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,992
Quote:
Originally Posted by BikePilot
Its not all that hard to push start a bike in a bind (I've had to when a friend's kick starter broke off....) and if its a real bind I've even seen folks prop a bike up and use the rear wheel to start a bike (turning it by hand).

Also, its not at all clear that a kick starter is less likely to break down than an e-starter. It could be true, just not obviously so (I've seen plenty of broken kick starters).
It is pretty hard to ride a bike through sand, gumbo, up steep hills etc forget about pushing it. It's really hard to push my F650GS, even unloaded. I really wish it had a kick start, but I guess the FI would make that a moot point.

Kicks fail (it's happened to me), but much less so when your first choice is the button. Spreading the starting load between two systems should increase the life of both. Even then you still have the option of pushing.

I'll take a kick in most cases. I'm heavy enough, and ride bicycles so I can kick a big engine, I'd rather have the button, but not at the expense of the option of kicking my bike when I forgot to turn the key off when I stopped for lunch. Kicks are simple systems with only a few failure points. Electrics are more complex with both more moving and non moving parts all subject to wear, vibration and damage (just like kicks are). However in most cases the more parts and the more complicated the system the more subject they are to failure. Engineering can mitigate many of these issues, but it can for kicks to. Human error is harder to engineer out of electric systems (leaving lights on etc.) than kick starts.

As for weight, the new 2 stroke KTMs have a very minimal wieght diffrence between the e and non e versions, both have kicks. Th 4 strokes are heavier with both, but I can't imagine a kick adding more than a pound or so. Most of the enduro bike retain their kick because the e-start isn't good for more than a min. or so of cranking. They need to keep the battery weight down. So if I water logged my engine at the bottom of a gully (where the creeks run, and not that this has ever happened or anything) and need to crank it alot, I'd want both systems.

A "Day" of Dirt Biking Rockies East Slopes
High and Dry Colorado and Utah

"When your only tool is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail"

dwayne screwed with this post 12-02-2008 at 12:11 AM
dwayne is offline   Reply With Quote