Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-01-2004, 11:36 AM   #16
Arch
Incurable Gearhead

Oddometer: 11,705
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampy
Alright, I think both the Crash bar guy and the skid plate/toolbox guy should give us nearly identical profile close up shots of their bikes where the lower crash bar and upper tool box would be meeting so us overkill fanatics can guestimate if both will fit?? I'm going to be carrying my tools ANYWAY so I may as well have them down low where I don't feel it so much and the center of Gravity is better!!
And I don't have to explain why I NEEED the crash bars----Ok... I'm a lunatic!
Doesn't look like these HB bars will work with the factory tank/toolbox/plate...

But they do look more worth having, imho.
Old 06-01-2004, 11:50 AM   #17
Scoot Jockey OP
BST Faithful

Oddometer: 73
I have a few minutes on lunch right now to drop a quick note, and I will take more pics, but they will have to wait for tonight. Swampy, you do have to modify the stock fender to get enough room between the headlights, and the top of the fender. If you take a good look at your existing fender, the top mounts with two aluminum spacers, and long bolts to the top of the triple clamp. To reuse that fender, the mounting has to be reversed, where the top of the fender is mounted tight to the top of the triple clamp, and the distance bushings go underneath the triple clamp. All of the parts for moving the fender are available from KTM. I went with the Rallye "mud" fender instead, because I prefer the way it looks, and it is automatically low enough to compensate for the oil cooler on the Rallye bikes. As for combining the rallye bashplate, and the crashbars, in my opinion is overkill. I do like the rallye bashplate, but the price is too high, and it looks like it would be hard to see the oil sight glass on my 2003. I like the looks of the stock bashplate with the KTM logo cutout on the side. I also feel that the crashbars provide better protection for the tank. The price was also more reasonable.
Scoot Jockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2004, 12:06 PM   #18
BlitzBike
LC4 Pilot

Oddometer: 800
Looks like both the tool box and the crash bars mount onto the same bolts but, the tool box is in-the-way??? Although it should be noted that the picture shows the taller water carrying skid plate/tool box, where as, I would only want the lower double tool box which may have enough clearance.

Swampy screwed with this post 06-01-2004 at 05:04 PM
BlitzBike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2004, 12:12 PM   #19
BlitzBike
LC4 Pilot

Crash bar fender set up

Could you advise where I'd find the part numbers on the Rallye mud fender or the extenders to use the stock fender??? I prefer the "look" of the 2002 fenders and, I prefer the "high" fenders too--that lowboy 2004 fender setup is a stick/rock magnet and an accident waiting to happen in my opinion. Are the part numbers in the Hard parts catalog??
Old 06-01-2004, 04:51 PM   #20
psari
psari

Oddometer: 7
Question Crash Bars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoot Jockey
I have a few minutes on lunch right now to drop a quick note, and I will take more pics, but they will have to wait for tonight. Swampy, you do have to modify the stock fender to get enough room between the headlights, and the top of the fender. If you take a good look at your existing fender, the top mounts with two aluminum spacers, and long bolts to the top of the triple clamp. To reuse that fender, the mounting has to be reversed, where the top of the fender is mounted tight to the top of the triple clamp, and the distance bushings go underneath the triple clamp. All of the parts for moving the fender are available from KTM. I went with the Rallye "mud" fender instead, because I prefer the way it looks, and it is automatically low enough to compensate for the oil cooler on the Rallye bikes. As for combining the rallye bashplate, and the crashbars, in my opinion is overkill. I do like the rallye bashplate, but the price is too high, and it looks like it would be hard to see the oil sight glass on my 2003. I like the looks of the stock bashplate with the KTM logo cutout on the side. I also feel that the crashbars provide better protection for the tank. The price was also more reasonable.
I am also interested to keep the stock fender in the case i will put the crash bars, so, please provide some info for the extenders in order to use the stock fender.

I have also checked the Hepco Becker site in germany but there is no info about crash bars for the 640 Adventure!! How did you found out about it?

psari
640 Adventure 2003
psari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2004, 05:45 PM   #21
Scoot Jockey OP
BST Faithful

Okay folks, here are some different pics showing the mounting points for the crashbars. These first two show how it mounts to the fuel tap side of the engine.
Attached Images

Old 06-01-2004, 05:46 PM   #22
Scoot Jockey OP
BST Faithful

Attached Images

Old 06-01-2004, 05:48 PM   #23
Scoot Jockey OP
BST Faithful

This next one shows how it weaves under the exhaust system on the left side.
Attached Images

Old 06-01-2004, 05:49 PM   #24
BlitzBike
LC4 Pilot

Now I see what you mean about the oil site glass getting coved by the skidplate /tool box in pic. No matter---I have a temp guage/dipstick.
Otherwise it looks like both tool box and crash bars would fit on the left side of bike but, the right looks decidedly more doubtful because of the low slung header clearances?

Swampy screwed with this post 06-01-2004 at 06:14 PM
Old 06-01-2004, 05:50 PM   #25
Scoot Jockey OP
BST Faithful

In this pic you can see the placement of the middle crossbar. It does not attach to the bike, it just runs between the two sides of the crashbars.
Attached Images

Old 06-01-2004, 05:53 PM   #26
Scoot Jockey OP
BST Faithful

This image is kinda hard to make out, but if you compare it to your own bike, you will see where this top piece mounts under the headlights.
Attached Images

Old 06-01-2004, 05:53 PM   #27
BlitzBike
LC4 Pilot

Crash bar/fuel tank removal

I assume you can still get the fuel tank off without added hassle???
Nice Pics BTW. I guess the only area I would wonder about (crash wise) is the flat under the tank horizontal cross bar. Hope that doesn't slice rearward if you take a big hit. but, perhaps it can't because of the over the fender bar??

Swampy screwed with this post 06-01-2004 at 06:00 PM
Old 06-01-2004, 06:01 PM   #28
Scoot Jockey OP
BST Faithful

Good question Swampy. I haven't had to take off the tank yet, but the only thing that worrys me is being able to get the headlight mask off with the bars in the way. It may work, but I might also end up removing the crashbars to do so.

The best source for info on KTM parts is www.ktminfo.com . once inside, click on parts catalog, and you can look up parts info for just about any modern KTM model, including the Rallye model from 2003-. There you can find info on either fender set up.
Old 06-01-2004, 06:02 PM   #29
BlitzBike
LC4 Pilot

Thanks! For those interested, I was told there is a three week wait on the crash bars since thery come from Europe and are probably in great demand being that they are a new developement.
Old 06-02-2004, 05:11 AM   #30
psari
psari

Oddometer: 7
Question crash bars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoot Jockey
Good question Swampy. I haven't had to take off the tank yet, but the only thing that worrys me is being able to get the headlight mask off with the bars in the way. It may work, but I might also end up removing the crashbars to do so.

The best source for info on KTM parts is www.ktminfo.com . once inside, click on parts catalog, and you can look up parts info for just about any modern KTM model, including the Rallye model from 2003-. There you can find info on either fender set up.
So we don't need any extra extenions for the stock fender but just to reverse the mountinng, correct?