User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-10-2006, 11:18 PM   #46
Scoot Jockey OP
BST Faithful

Oddometer: 73
Wow, now that's a blast from the past!

The crashbars....well they didn't pan out so well. They look like they should do the trick, but they have a hard time holding up against the vibrations of the motor. I had the first set that was sent to the US, which held up great for about three months of riding. Then, during a trip to Yellowstone, I discovered a crack in the bars up where they mount behind the headlights. Soon several other crashbar owners started finding the same crack, and Hepco Becker was good enough to refund the people who bought these bars.

Hepco Becker went back to the drawing board, and reinforced the weak area of the original design. That's when I recieved a call from the US distributor for the bars. He wanted to send me a set of the newly redesigned crashbars, to test them out before he offered them for sale again. I agreed, and for the next four to six months I rode the hell out of them trying to find any bugs, then finally it happened. I was on a simple fire road, nothing technical, riding fast and letting the suspension do its thing. I noticed a pinging noise coming from the right hand motor area. Upon inspection I found this

The piece of plate that mounted the right hand bar to the motor had snapped right in half.

Upon hearing this the distributor decided against selling them again. I know they still sell these in Europe, but I don't know if they were redesigned yet a third time. I do like how they looked though.
Old 08-11-2006, 08:22 AM   #47
motowest
Two-wheeled Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,279
So I guess you no longer have the bars on your bike? Those must be older pics.

The mounting plates should be redesigned using a higher grade/thickness of steel. After all, the KTM frame and other parts can hold up to the engine vibes, so why can't the bars be redesigned to withstand higher stresses? I will continue to pursue these bars.
motowest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 11:17 AM   #48
Odysseus
Stoic Philosopher

Oddometer: 4,154
I think the point of the bars is to be sacrificial. Absorb the impact, and not transfer the shock to the frame of the bike. A fine line has to be found between being to weak and not protecting the fuel tank etc. and being too strong and ending up with a broken frame from a minor get off.

I too would like to put some of these bars on my bike, hopefully somebody comes out with a decent product sometime.

Wounded Warrior Project www.woundedwarriorproject.org

Special Operations Warrior Foundation
www.specialops.org/
Odysseus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 07:11 PM   #49
MDCOA
Dilettante

Oddometer: 60
Eurotech 640ADV crash bars on the way

I, too, am yearning for some tank protection (besides leaving my TT panniers on all the time to absorb the impact when I fall over in creeks, a technique that worked well Saturday).
Had Chris from Eurotech (in CA) on the phone the other day and asked him re. the third design of the HB crash bars. He said they're still not holding up, AND he said he's got a design of his own in the works, with a machinist lined up and everything.
He thinks they'll be available early next year, so just ride carefully until then.

BTW I'm just a eurotech customer from years of airhead bmw ownership, not his brother or financial planner or anything.

b
MDCOA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 04:40 PM   #50
Ozadventurerider
Ron The Obvious!

Oddometer: 26
Thumb More detail needed on the LC4 Hepco & Becker engine & tank bar mounting

HI

I am actually the Hepco & Becker importer in Australia.
Had this thread posted to me by a mate who wants to do the conversion on his 03. Technically this kit is for low guard LC4 and only 04 onward.
Had a custmer recently return a set of bars when he tried to fit them to an 03 (he did not try as hard as you obviousley).

Key questions from your good article are.
1) How much did you need to space down the front guard.
2) You mentioned springing the lower mounts with a clamp, was this to engage the thread of the engine bolt or just to bring them in during tightening. EG. Would fiting a spacer have worked to remove any tension.
3) Lastly, "Down the track", how are they going today!

Any feedback is much appreciated. RTO
Ozadventurerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 04:54 PM   #51
Ozadventurerider
Ron The Obvious!

Oddometer: 26
Thumbs down This is intersting news (perhaps not)

Hi

I posted today off the original 2004 thread, not realising there was an update. Shame about the outcomes.

I will call Chris next week and seek his views but have never had an indication of any problems from the factory regarding vibration failure.
Certainly mounting the bars under any tension will decrease the MTBF if any vibration occurs. Though we have had another 'single' bikes bar set change due to vibration fatigue.

Hepco & Becker have not stopped making them, your distributor can order them in from Germany. I had no alerts regarding these matters but will follow up with them next week as well. Will post if any positive news.

Cheers RTO
Ozadventurerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 04:34 AM   #52
jeti
Not new to bikes...

Oddometer: 7
Adventure 640 tank guards

Hi,

I bought and installed the HB tank/crashguards at 800Km (two weeks ago). Right now the bike's on 1700K... I will keep you all informed if anything bad happens to'm. BTW: the fitting was easy....like a glove.....

Jos
jeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 08:46 PM   #53
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Oddometer: 14,178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozadventurerider
HI

I am actually the Hepco & Becker importer in Australia.
Had this thread posted to me by a mate who wants to do the conversion on his 03. Technically this kit is for low guard LC4 and only 04 onward.
Had a custmer recently return a set of bars when he tried to fit them to an 03 (he did not try as hard as you obviousley).

Key questions from your good article are.
1) How much did you need to space down the front guard.
2) You mentioned springing the lower mounts with a clamp, was this to engage the thread of the engine bolt or just to bring them in during tightening. EG. Would fiting a spacer have worked to remove any tension.
3) Lastly, "Down the track", how are they going today!

Any feedback is much appreciated. RTO
Hello,

It is great to have you posting. Very good questions and statements. I would just ask, if the guards are only for the 2004 and later models, does this indicate that there is some variation between them and the LC4 Adventures prior to 2004? That would be unexpected.

I was under the impression that the low fender was the reasoning behind that, and folks had found a way to space the high fender so that it would clear. But I had never thought there might be some difference among the years in the areas where the guards mount.

If so, a good question for KTM: is a slight difference between the LC4 Adventures that were built prior to 2004 and those built after where the HB bars mount? That might explain why folks who mount them to the 2003 or earlier models have problems, and HB continues to produce them - because they are for the 2004 onward bikes.

Its not so much staying alive; its staying human that counts.
meat popsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 07:40 PM   #54
motowest
Two-wheeled Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,279
Hmmm, good point, Meat.
motowest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 12:57 PM   #55
joekanter
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 128
Any updates?

OK folks-I did look at the index and read through as much as my little brain could handle. So-since there is a gap in time. Has any one put crash bars on their newer 640A's? Are they still a bitch to install?
joekanter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 01:01 PM   #56
Agnostic and Orange

Oddometer: 1,314
I recently busted my gas tank. I purchased set of carbon fiber protectors from Chrisbarnes1(search tank protection) to protect new gas tank from similar accidents. I think it's the easiest solution at this time.
666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 02:20 PM   #57
Laromonster
Vesperado !

Oddometer: 1,303
Quote:
Originally Posted by joekanter
OK folks-I did look at the index and read through as much as my little brain could handle. So-since there is a gap in time. Has any one put crash bars on their newer 640A's? Are they still a bitch to install?
Mounted them on my '05 lasted about 2000kms then broke like all the others at the right side engine mounts, had a local guy weld them, but yet to install them on the bike
Old 06-12-2008, 12:30 PM   #58
Gonzo78
06' 640 Adv

Oddometer: 1
Laugh Same problem, new solution?

Hi *,

Just going through this post and can also see that it has not been updated in a while. So I thought I'd try my hand at it.

After searching round for the correct bike and an adventure to go on I'd convinced the famliy to make some investments.

My wife, brother-in-law and I have all purchased 640 Advs and are going to Morocco later this year.

One of the bikes, an 05, had come with H&B bars but within a short period either as a result of engine virbration or previous abuse broke.

I've since had a guy build me a new set of bars based on the H&B design but with a few mods to fit to all 3 bikes.

My brother-in-law has them fitted already, done approx. 1500 km including a big bike enduro, motorway miles and play time in a ssand quarry with no sign or cracks/breaks yet.

Once I receive and get a chance to test them personally I'll let you know (with pictures of course).

take care all,
M.
Gonzo78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 01:43 PM   #59
TaylorTown
n00b

Oddometer: 1
2003- KTM 640 adventure crash bars.

Hi
I'm in a similar situation where i require crash bars for a 2003 model. Most of the info on this thread references H&B crash bars.
Q: Has anyone tried the KTM-Sommer crash bars on a 2003 model.
Cheers
ST
TaylorTown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 03:39 PM   #60
skibum69
slave to gravity

Oddometer: 5,322
I've got a set of Chris' tank guards on the way. Good units from what I've heard and the guys I've talked to so far.
RIP ITsteve, ride in peace my friend
save $5 on a new smugmug account, use this coupon7frrnSRiTt9Fk
skibum69 is offline   Reply With Quote