User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-16-2009, 07:42 PM   #1
P.E. Acridian OP
Idling through life.

Oddometer: 14
Eh? XR100... Tehe...

After coming back from California and the Marine Corps I've been looking at adventuring around Southeast Alaska more. Having lived here practically all my life one would wonder why you'd need to adventure the place. Anywho...

I used to live on the north end of the island I'm on, a logging encampment at one point, shut down, yada yada. Great thing about this part of Alaska is that if you leave anything sit for 5 years its' totally different, I bet there aren't even roads hardly existing up there in what used to be a small town.

Its' like a 200 mile ride up there, haven't been in like 15 years, lots of broken down cars, cool old trails leading off through the woods.

I want to rebuild my old childhood XR100 and trek the thing on up there. I mean, can anyone say gas millage? Especially considering I'll have to take all my own gas.

Won't be able to pack a whole lot, small tent, sleepin' bag is a must in our temperature zone... Wonder how much a small machine like that could carry? Never really packed 'er up with anything before, carried a passenger once, heavy backpacks.

N' the State Troopers 'round this part of the woods don't really care about dirt bikes up here, as long as it doesn't have turn signals on it and you aren't racin' along at 70+ they just don't worry 'bout it.

Kind of just want to turn this into a small adventure, even though it may just barely qualify, slow speeds'll make it seem forever, its' a bike able for gettin' around through the woods for the offroadin' I'll probably end up doing for no apparent reason. *Shrugs.* Whatcha'll think?

Prince of Wales actually happens to be the third largest island in the United States, so its' not like I've a small area to play around with this idea. Anywho...

I think I am, therefore I am... I think...

When in doubt... Wait, what?
P.E. Acridian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 09:18 PM   #2
wrk2surf
on the gas or brakes

Oddometer: 6,174
You should probably up it to a xr 250 or 400. 100's are fun for about 10 min then they are small pit bikes (or my sons current ride).
Thanks for the 2014 support:BELL HELMETS, SCOTT USA, Kriega USA, Carbon-pro.com, GPR stabilzers, Renazco Racing, Sidi/Motonation, Masters paint and body, Magura , motolab , Tripy GPS, Loctite and Dunlop tires .
wrk2surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 10:38 PM   #3
P.E. Acridian OP
Idling through life.

Yeah, I know its' just a 100. I still have fun on the thing, and its' one of the many broken down get-ups I've got to work with.

I mean hell, the CR250 runs, the 400EX. Thinkin' 'bout takin' the quad all the way up there, but its' no where near as good on gas, would haul the load though, and its' been geared up for a bit since it sees mostly gravel fireroad/loggin' roads these days.

*Shrugs.* It was merely an idea, would just make it more of an adventure, have to pack lighter, making something small seem bigger than it really is ya know? (The trip.)

Forgot to add this in earlier. Its' the gas thing.
There is no where up there to get gas for something like 180 miles, and I want to do a big of fartin' around up there in the woods on the bike, can shoot stuff if I get too hungry, so food isn't too much of a weight issue. *Shrugs.*

Old 02-17-2009, 08:53 AM   #4
B DIRT
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,376
man I have to say go for the 100! Bullet proof, carry about any freekin load you can put on it and did I mention bullet proof? You take that bad boy into backcountry and your living the dream man..... a bike as capable as your willing to take it, loaded to the tilt, sipping gas, and smiles per mile... hell yeh!
Old 02-17-2009, 12:17 PM   #5
philp38
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,180
Quote:
Originally Posted by B DIRT
man I have to say go for the 100! Bullet proof, carry about any freekin load you can put on it and did I mention bullet proof? You take that bad boy into backcountry and your living the dream man..... a bike as capable as your willing to take it, loaded to the tilt, sipping gas, and smiles per mile... hell yeh!
I have to agree. The XR100 is bullet proof and will take you anywhere.
Old 02-17-2009, 01:02 PM   #6
P.E. Acridian OP
Idling through life.

Well, I can't vouch too much for the bullet proof'ness. Well atleast not so much with the older point/contact ignition model. No rev limiter may be the reason I've got three engines and one only halfass ran 6 years ago.

Bit of work to be done, but should last longer. Maturity and not pushing the engine beyond its' limits so often should result is more of a bullet proofness.

Then again, I suppose I had three engines because I was trying to see how much power could be squeezed out of stock bore and stroke. *Shrugs.*

Old 02-17-2009, 01:45 PM   #7
kta
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 576
When I was younger we had an XR100. That thing was abused from sun up to sun down every single day for years. It never skipped a beat, and it was a lot of fun. The great thing about the xr100 was we could take it up trails we were never able to traverse on full size bikes - it could just be manhandled. If you get hung up on an obstacle just pick it up and throw it over. Tons of fun. Do it!
kta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 03:12 PM   #8
blshelley
5th Gear Pinned

Oddometer: 20
I say go for it XR100's are fun bikes.
Old 02-17-2009, 04:01 PM   #9
KrustyKustom
Lets Go....

Oddometer: 621
CRF's

I bought my daughter a CRF80F and I was looking at it the other night realizing that they have not changed a THING, since like 1978 XR75's.

I think the only motor more bombproof is the OHC 50-110cc horizontal motor. That thing can take more abuse (i know first hand) than any mechanical apparatus I know of. Tough as a anvil.
KrustyKustom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 04:53 PM   #10
P.E. Acridian OP
Idling through life.

Heh, yeah, I love the being able to just throw the little bike around, just big enough to be semi comfortable on (I'ma hardtail mofo myself.)

And I suppose I didn't give my engines enough credit, they did run for a long time, before throwing a cam chain, disintegrating a wrist pin clip n' running a 0.015" grove n' my cylinder, losing an exhaust stud...

And I love that they haven't changed a single thing about it, all mine are '86 and above but an '86, '89/'90 and a '90 something before the digital ignition systems.

Would love to get my hands on a dual shock rear end ('85 or older.)

*Sighs.*

(Edit.)

N' I guess I'm going to rebuild it, have it ready for the summer 'adventure.'