User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-16-2009, 11:44 PM   #1
white26golf OP
Tanker

Oddometer: 38
Looking for new bike

So I went to the IMOT this weekend in Munich, Germany. I was looking for a few bikes to possible replace my Versys in the next year or so. I like the riding position of the Versys, and if my wife would get her own bike I would probably just keep it. However, I don't think she will be into actually owning her own, just riding with me. So I was looking for a possible replacement with a bigger engine to carry us and to keep the RPM's down on the highway. So some of the bike I was looking at were the Tiger, F650GS, F800GS, and the Vstrom (They only had a Wee, but close enough). My first impressions of some of these bikes were as follows:

Tiger- I liked the bike, however I could barely get the balls of my feet on the ground, and I think there is a lack of dealer support in the states.

F650- I really liked this bike, although I felt like a giant on it because of the low seat hight. See Tiger about dealer support also.

F800- This bike was almost perfect for me, however the price is a little out of the range I want to spend. Also dealer support might be sparce.

Vstrom (dl1000)- Although this bike is in the same boat regarding looks as my Versys (beauty in the eye of the beholder), I did think it is a good looking bike. Seat height and leg position is good for me on the ground and on the pegs. Fuel capacity is where I want it, and the power and comfort for me and my wife look good too. However, there is one thing I would like to see in the future that my Versys has-----A digital Speedo that will switch from MPH to KPH. I know that it currently reads KPH on the inner ring, but just like my truck, I don't like having to hunt for the number on the inner ring. And since I come and go from the US to Europe every few years, I would like the option to hit a series of buttons and forget about it.
So how many of you would like to see this option on upcoming Vstroms, and what is the likelyhood of this happening? Oh, I do like an analog Tach by the way.

Or are there any other bikes that you might recommend that fit what I am looking for?
Old 02-17-2009, 05:54 AM   #2
TeepS
Full Circle Rider

Oddometer: 326
Sounds like you've just about talked yourself into a Vstrom1000.

Try a Ulysses, you may be surprised.
TeepS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 07:56 AM   #3
Bucko
In a parallel world

Oddometer: 808
It would help to know what kind of riding you do, and whether your new bike has to be new, or just new to you? For example, would you consider a used R1150GS or ST1200? 750 Katana? Multistrada? Interceptor? FJR?

As far as the switchable speedo units, that seems like a pretty minor feature. It makes sense that most bikes with digital speedos can be hacked to do that, but with your regular continent-swapping I'm surprised the k/mph math doesn't come naturally to you.
Bucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 08:27 AM   #4
llamapacker
Mr. Conservative

Oddometer: 1,124
The Uly is a great bike 2up I have heard, and see them going every now and then, never owned one.

I had the Versys for 12 months, sold for a slightly used 07 Tiger, perfect replacement upgrade. It is tall, I made some different shock plates to lower 1" (you can buy several after market ones to lower up to 1-1/2") and also lowered my centerstand, perfect for me. Also raised the forks 18mm.

I wouldn't like to go 2up very far on the Tiger (but it does okay 2up) but I use the K1200GT for that work (another good buy used).

My wife has the new F650GS, and rides with me on the Tiger, so perfect. We both go on reserve at the same time almost, only she has 4.2 gallons, and Tiger 5.2, 48mpg to 60 mpg.

I brokein the GS about 500 miles, really like it, but wouldn't recommend 2up for long trips.
Old 02-17-2009, 09:41 AM   #5
white26golf OP
Tanker

Oddometer: 38
Still looking

Well I haven't completely decided on a Vstrom as of yet. I still have about 2 years left in Germany before I go back to the states, and unless I can get them to import one for me I think I am going to have to wait. Also you never know what might come out in the next two years. As far as doing the math for conversion of the speedo, I don't think I am good enough to multiply everything by 1.6 when there is a German Polizei in front of me. And of course it must be a new bike, not just new to me! However if I could ever get my wife liscensed, I would gladly buy her whatever 250-650cc bike she wanted, and I would probably just keep the Versys!!
Old 02-17-2009, 11:14 AM   #6
nvdlboy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 986
I'm biased about the Strom... being Canadian, I'm used to my vehicles all having Km/h on the outside ring and don't worry too much while riding in the States (since we have a place in WA, I drive there often). On my bike, I often use my GPS as a speedo if I'm concerned, as far as I can tell, speedos on most bikes I've ridden have been a little off (and no I'm not talking about banana hammocks)...
Old 02-17-2009, 12:02 PM   #7
VascoMerlin
He'll Stab Your Cat

Oddometer: 413
The speedo on my V-strom is so overzealous that its closer to KPH anyway.

www.revzilla.com

VascoMerlin screwed with this post 02-17-2009 at 03:46 PM
VascoMerlin is offline   Reply With Quote