Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-16-2009, 04:00 AM   #31
F800 Rob
MotoInsight

Oddometer: 1,048
Quote:
Originally Posted by n8foo
Does anybody elses Holans not line up exactly right? On the right side, my fingers don't fit between the bike and the bars (1/3 inch), but on left side I could easily polish the plastics (2 inch). Did I get a bum set or is this par for the course?

They are badass-beautiful tho. http://twitpic.com/25d9y
That isn't normal at all, and is the first report of this I've gotten.

Forward me some pictures and we'll see about getting you a replacement set.
Old 03-16-2009, 10:42 AM   #32
BykMyk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 262
I have Holan’s also. At first it bothered me that the right side upper bar was closer to the plastic than the left, but now I don’t even notice it. As I rack up the miles they seem to have “settled” a little and the fit has improved. I really like how they conform to the bike looks OEM.
Mike
Old 03-16-2009, 10:52 AM   #33
johngil
Reseda, CA

Oddometer: 3,704
Quote:
Originally Posted by BykMyk
I have Holan’s also. At first it bothered me that the right side upper bar was closer to the plastic than the left, but now I don’t even notice it. As I rack up the miles they seem to have “settled” a little and the fit has improved.
I was going to say the same thing. I just didn't think anyone would believe the bars just straightened themselves.
johngil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 12:16 PM   #34
BykMyk
Gnarly Adventurer

A little more info:
Even after the “settling”, the right side is still closer to the plastic than the left. The only concern I would have is that in a fall the plastic on the right side may contact the bar. But as solid as these bars feel, I doubt it. I’m talking about the #2 bar from the top. I just went out and did a rough measurement of the difference between the two sides at the narrowest point to the plastic. Using a ruler I calculate the difference at about 5/8” + from side to side.
Mike
Old 03-16-2009, 12:41 PM   #35
WoodWorks
House Ape

Oddometer: 2,204
Hey BykMyk, the tiny black serif typeface you've decided to use is still readable against a dark gray background. Maybe if you made it a little bit smaller and less black, it would disappear altogether.

David

I'm tryin' ta think, but nuttin' happens!
--Curly
WoodWorks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 02:55 PM   #36
BykMyk
Gnarly Adventurer

ok

Sorry, I've been copying it in from Word and didn't realize it was that hard to read.
Mike
Old 03-16-2009, 03:08 PM   #37
WoodWorks
House Ape

Oddometer: 2,204
Much Better!

I'm tryin' ta think, but nuttin' happens!
--Curly
WoodWorks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 04:39 PM   #38
DiabloBlanco
Intl' Hops Inspector

Oddometer: 301
I don't mean to insult anyone's intelligence, but is it possible that anyone accidentally used the black spacers in the wrong areas to make the bars so offset? *shrugs* just throwing it out there. Mine line up fine. But I'm sure everyone did it right...
US (MN, WI, IA, KS, OK, MO, TX), Mexico, Belize, Guatemala, El Salvador, Honduras, Nicaragua, Costa Rica, Panama, Colombia, Venezuela. 11 down, 184 to go.
DiabloBlanco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 07:38 AM   #39
F800 Rob
MotoInsight

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabloBlanco
I don't mean to insult anyone's intelligence, but is it possible that anyone accidentally used the black spacers in the wrong areas to make the bars so offset? *shrugs* just throwing it out there. Mine line up fine. But I'm sure everyone did it right...
That's my thought as well. Once the next shipment comes in, I'm going to pull a set and do a video install on an F650GS Twin.

The Chrome / Nickel ones are coming the in the next shipment!
Old 03-23-2009, 08:02 AM   #40
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 9,139
"Next shipment"

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 08:12 AM   #41
MCMXCIVRS
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,207
Mine seem to fit evenly on both sides. One thing that is not noted in the directions is that there is a small spacer one the left side between the engine and the frame. On mine, it wanted to fall out of place when the bolt was removed. If that spacer was not in place, the frame could be pulled inward by tightening the bolt and the engine would not be properly supported in the frame. That would really throw the whole thing out of alignment.

The bars did take a bit of work to get all lined up right. I also found that some of the bolts were much longer than they needed to be. the ones to connect the cross bar were touching the bottom of the rad shroud so I cut them off a bit. The ones to attach the bars to the right side mounting plate were also nearly touching the engine case, so I cut them shorter too. Not sure why they supply such overly long bolts.
MCMXCIVRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 08:48 AM   #42
F800 Rob
MotoInsight

Quote:
Originally Posted by DockingPilot
"Next shipment"
The next shipment should be leaving the EU this week and should arrive at the warehouse next week at some point. When Holan actually ships, and how clean they come through customs make an exact date of reception impossible.

Tons of F800 stuff, a bit of LC4 stuff, and our first shipment of their panniers are expected. I'm personally waiting for an BMW Adventure top case mount for my bike, which I've been told to expect in one of the boxes.
Old 03-23-2009, 07:30 PM   #43
The Griz OP
North Forest Rider

Oddometer: 3,793
Holans installed.

Got the Holan crash bars installed today. Man they were a bitch to get on. Shipped with no instructions, although I was emailed a pdf of them within fifteen minutes of placing a call to them about it. Still, the instructions seemed written by a Polish person with very little English skills. They were extremely vague and confusing about which spacer goes where. I had to grind the half-moon mounting plate so that it fit underneath the clutch cover of the engine with clearance. As well as drill out the holes in it to a larger size so that the other bolt holes on the bar would line up with the other mount points. From sitting on the bike perspective, the right side crash bar is far closer to the side plastic panel then the left side crash bar. To compensate for this, I placed 3 or 4 washers underneath the bar mount point that goes into the frame on the right side, as to keep it out away from the plastic side panel farther. I am absolutely positive that I put the correct spacers in the correct spot, especially due to the fact that I did it in the exact way that the instructions called for. They are still off a little, but before I added the washers, the right side bars actually touched the plastic side panel. I truly believe that there are manufacturing/welding incosistencies with this product. Us consumers are not using the wrong spacers in the wrong spots. I found that it's actually really hard to do so anyway!

All in all, these bars to me are still superior in design to any of the others I've seen.

The Griz screwed with this post 03-23-2009 at 07:40 PM
The Griz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 07:37 PM   #44
F800 Rob
MotoInsight

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Griz
Got the Holan crash bars installed today. Man they were a bitch to get on. Shipped with no instructions, although I was emailed a pdf of them within fifteen minutes of placing a call to them about it. Still, the instructions seemed written by a Polish person with very little English skills. They were extremely vague and confusing about which spacer goes where. I had to grind the half-moon mounting plate so that it fit underneath the clutch cover of the engine with clearance. As well as drill out the holes in it to a larger size so that the other bolt holes on the bar would line up with the other mount points. From sitting on the bike perspective, the right side crash bar is far closer to the side plastic panel then the left side crash bar. To compensate for this, I places 3 or 4 washers underneath the bar mount point that goes into the frame on the right side, as to keep it out away from the plastic side panel farther.
I've passed your comments along to Holan. I've also posted the PDF instructions to the product listing on HolanUSA.com.

F800 Rob screwed with this post 03-23-2009 at 07:43 PM
F800 Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 07:43 PM   #45
The Griz OP
North Forest Rider

Oddometer: 3,793
Thanks, Rob, for the fast shipping and help along the way! And for the sticker!
The Griz is offline   Reply With Quote