Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-30-2009, 06:17 PM   #76
johngil
Reseda, CA

Oddometer: 3,678
I tipped over. Nothing bad happened, and my motor didn't fall out or break in two.
johngil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 06:44 PM   #77
F800 Rob
MotoInsight

Oddometer: 1,042
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngil
I tipped over. Nothing bad happened, and my motor didn't fall out or break in two.

I think we're back on topic now.
Old 03-30-2009, 06:51 PM   #78
F800 Rob
MotoInsight

Oddometer: 1,042
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabloBlanco
Correct me if I'm wrong (I'm sure you'd know this F800Rob) but isn't Touratech the ones who make the crash bars for BMW?. So that kinda negates the Touratech is holier than thou (while charging an arm and a leg).
Touratech doesn't make them to my knowledge. The only thing that I know Touratech makes for BMW are the Adventure Panniers. That said, in this world now, who knows who makes what. I didn't know that Touratech outsourced manufacturing (to Holan for some parts) until mid-way through last year.

If I didn't work at a BMW dealer for the better part of a decade, and didn't see the import stickers from the EU, I'd say that everything is made in China by six year olds.

Old 03-30-2009, 07:33 PM   #79
MCMXCIVRS
Begining the Adventure

Oddometer: 1,193
I had a look at my wifes F800ST this afternoon and it does not have the mounting bosses on the engine at all. That means they were specifically put there on the GS for a reason. One would hope that they made them strong enough to withstand the forces of a fall. An all out crash might be different, but then there would also likely be significant damage elsewhere on the bike.
MCMXCIVRS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 07:53 PM   #80
The Griz OP
North Forest Rider

Oddometer: 3,768
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCMXCIVRS
I had a look at my wifes F800ST this afternoon and it does not have the mounting bosses on the engine at all. That means they were specifically put there on the GS for a reason. One would hope that they made them strong enough to withstand the forces of a fall. An all out crash might be different, but then there would also likely be significant damage elsewhere on the bike.
+1 Exactly.
The Griz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 08:33 PM   #81
DiabloBlanco
Intl' Hops Inspector

Oddometer: 301
Quote:
Originally Posted by F800 Rob

If I didn't work at a BMW dealer for the better part of a decade, and didn't see the import stickers from the EU, I'd say that everything is made in China by six year olds.

Don't suppose you've gotten the chance to test your Holans riding around your shop at 2mph, eh Griz?
US (MN, WI, IA, KS, OK, MO, TX), Mexico, Belize, Guatemala, El Salvador, Honduras, Nicaragua, Costa Rica, Panama, Colombia, Venezuela. 11 down, 184 to go.
DiabloBlanco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 09:25 PM   #82
The Griz OP
North Forest Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabloBlanco

Don't suppose you've gotten the chance to test your Holans riding around your shop at 2mph, eh Griz?
My bike hasn't taken a nap yet after I've had the Holans on. I've been riding out doors lately, though.

Found some good gravel track south of the cities. A lot of fun.
Old 03-30-2009, 10:56 PM   #83
DRBImagery
Have cameras, will travel

Oddometer: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by glitch_oz
Wouldn't be the first time that BM has fugged up.
After all, it's to THEIR benefit when finishing up with cracked engine cases after a more serious hit.

Seems that only Wunderlich and Touratech got it right then.

I'm not an engineer, but a "flexible" (steel) long-leverage impact-item bolted to a more rigid /brittle Alum item spells trouble.... doesn't really need Einstein-quals, does it?

Time will tell, I guess...

(nb Not trying to stir the shit here, just thinking aloud...and from experience)
Glitch
Nice work you did on your other post, those crash bars look great, always nice to see some knowledgeable and experienced wrench's around, other than those that just spout off!!
DRBImagery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 11:08 PM   #84
DiabloBlanco
Intl' Hops Inspector

Oddometer: 301
US (MN, WI, IA, KS, OK, MO, TX), Mexico, Belize, Guatemala, El Salvador, Honduras, Nicaragua, Costa Rica, Panama, Colombia, Venezuela. 11 down, 184 to go.
DiabloBlanco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 11:12 PM   #85
The Griz OP
North Forest Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRBImagery
Glitch
Nice work you did on your other post, those crash bars look great, always nice to see some knowledgeable and experienced wrench's around, other than those that just spout off!!
Old 03-31-2009, 04:42 PM   #86
C5!
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayner
Just for reference and off topic I understand, But I went with the TT bars and they do not mount to any points on the engine. They use the footpegs and the same central frame mount everyone else does. Sorry, I don't have pics at present.
Yes, I purchased the touratech bars for the same reason, because they didn't bolt to the bottom engine casing. But haven't had the opportunity to put to test yet...
C5! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 10:28 AM   #87
]I)Money
D NOT I

Oddometer: 3,431
Likely impact

To say that the only likely impact direction is sideways, rather than vertical, is at the very least, short-sighted. Sure, if your major use of them is dropping the bike on it's side. However, I can easily imagine (remember, really) riding situations where the vertical impact is more likely: riding over/around big fucking rocks, for one.
I do think, though, that with the other mounting points, it's more likely that you'll bend the piss out of the bars, like Rob speculated, than you'll rip a chunk out of your case.

"Another road remains, but it provides no more. It can only take us away"
]I)Money is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 06:41 PM   #88
The Griz OP
North Forest Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by ]I)Money
...I do think, though, that with the other mounting points, it's more likely that you'll bend the piss out of the bars, like Rob speculated, than you'll rip a chunk out of your case.
Exactly.
Old 04-06-2009, 09:10 AM   #89
The Griz OP
North Forest Rider

Got a a chance to test the Holans, finally layed down my bike.

With the exception of a small scrape on the powder-coating of the bars, there are no bends or breaks anywhere. Nor are there any problems at the connection points to the engine. I am very pleased with the Holans so far.

Its also important to remember that the Holans have a pretty ingenious stress relief design:

From the F800Depot.com product listing: "In the lower section, the crash bar is attached to the motorbike via a special fastening system (included) where during a crash the force is carried to linking screws not directly to the block of the engine"

And let's be honest, aside from the dick-swinging competition prior. The brunt of the force is transferred to the frame by the upper connection points.

The Griz screwed with this post 04-06-2009 at 09:15 AM
Old 04-06-2009, 09:15 AM   #90
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 8,885
Thats good Griz. Now:

Rob to the yellow courtesy phone please:
Update on Holan shipments ?

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is offline   Reply With Quote