Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Shiny things
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-11-2014, 10:47 AM   #1
svs OP
All Hands on Deck!

Oddometer: 23,576
1994 Pontiac with 55,000 miles and garaged.

My Son needed an inexpensive ride and we found a 1994 Pontiac Grand Am 4-door V-6 with 55k on the clock and the prior owner kept it Garaged.

The Car Fax showed consistent low mile usage from the time it was first sold. We got the car for $3k..

I thought we could get the car cheaper seeing as it's a 20 year old Pontiac but this is what the Used car market has to offer at this time.

The Car is insanely clean, Mechanically solid... Keeping our fingers crossed on some of the pattern failures the GM 60 degree V-6's are known for. These cars go well over 200k miles with the issues sorted out and real happy he got a "In New Condition" Used Car...

Was on a New Car dealer (Chevy) lot and they never sell cars this old or this inexpensive, the sales manager was so impressed with the car when in came in as a Trade they kept and decided to sell it on the lot as opposed to wholesaling it out. They originally wanted like $3750 and it would not sell at that. They dropped it to $2995 and I tried to get him to go down from there and he would not budge. We looked around at other lots and private party to see what 3k gets you and quickly realized you can't find this clean for 3K and probably not for 4k. You can by newer model year cars but miles and condition of the car also matter, there're a lot of beat to shit cars out there that are not very old. Why people don't take care of what they spend good money on is beyond me...

Old 07-11-2014, 11:19 AM   #2
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

Oddometer: 9,782
perfect car for a new driver. I call those "grandma" cars - garaged and super low miles and well maintained.
If he looks after it, it will be around for a very long time
Originally Posted by Burnszilla
I was SO high, I could have hunted duck with a rake
Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
MX stuff isn't my cup of tea, but falling down the side of a mountain is
eatpasta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 11:26 AM   #3
Heyload
Remastered Classic

Oddometer: 7,026
very nice deal!

"Buy the cheapest car you can get by with, and buy the best house you can afford."

When life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.
Heyload is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 12:46 PM   #4

Oddometer: 5,008
A friend had one of those in high school. The shit he would do to that car would make your head spin and it would just take it. Good luck with it. It sure is pretty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeflow
conformity makes better taxpayers.
13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 01:18 PM   #5
flyrod
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 148
Pontiac

I bought one for my daughter years ago from an older couple. Car was
very reliable and good transportation for her. She put 50k on it and had
75k when we bought it. No major issues, good solid car.
Best of luck with it.
Flyrod
flyrod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 04:45 PM   #6
Nytelyte
Somewhere about

Oddometer: 575
Make sure, even if on your own dime, its not affected by any of the "Its a GM and will fail and kill you and everyone you know, plus their puppies" recalls.
Nytelyte is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 05:26 PM   #7
650x
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,069
Bought a used 1996 2 door with 60K miles, 5 speed, a few years back and drove the snot out of it. Was a fun car and actually fairly fast. No major problems, but lots of little issues after the miles got over 100K. For example, got to the point that it would not start (even try to start) once in a while. Figured out if you wiggled the wiring bundle where the column meets the dash, it would start. Drilled a large (out of sight) hole in the plastic you could stick your finger in to wiggle the wires when it did not want to start. Typical GM build quality of the era, the major drive train was okay, but the little things started going bad. One other issues was that the trunk would leak. Finally drilled a few drain holes to let the water out. Good car, but the little things got to be bothersome.
DISCLAIMER: Suitability of any roads or trails mentioned in my ride reports are given from the view point of me and my wife (two old grandparents of moderate riding ability) and may or may not be applicable to your personal situation. Be mature, ride within your own abilities.
650x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 06:51 PM   #8
Tmaximusv
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 579
Cash For Clunkers gutted the used , good car market. Really hard to find anything cheap and worth having as a result. Sigh.
Old 07-11-2014, 08:03 PM   #9
svs OP
All Hands on Deck!

Oddometer: 23,576
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmaximusv View Post
Cash For Clunkers gutted the used , good car market. Really hard to find anything cheap and worth having as a result. Sigh.
True
Old 07-11-2014, 08:36 PM   #10
tkitna
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,374
Be lucky that you found a Grand-Am with the 6 cylinder instead of the head gasket eating Quad-4. Nice looking car.

2008 DL650
2013 Goldwing
tkitna is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 11:31 AM   #11
650x
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,069
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmaximusv View Post
The Grand Am was not eligible for "Cash for Clunkers." See: http://www.edmunds.com/car-news/cash...ehicles.html#g

I would of "turned in" my 96 GrandAm during the program if it wold of been eligible as it was pretty well used it by then. My 96 usually got close to 30 mpg even with ethanol fuel. Before ethanol fuel, it consistently got 33 - 34 mpg.

The OP's new to him car looks nice and should be a good car for what he bought it for.
DISCLAIMER: Suitability of any roads or trails mentioned in my ride reports are given from the view point of me and my wife (two old grandparents of moderate riding ability) and may or may not be applicable to your personal situation. Be mature, ride within your own abilities.
650x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 05:00 PM   #12
Bueller
Cashin?

Oddometer: 17,054
You may buy a set of injectors for it at some point, but I don't recall a hell of a lot else that went wrong with them.

Check under the seats for ecstasy and Nirvana CD's.

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified
Bueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 05:39 PM   #13
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 10,764
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkitna View Post
Be lucky that you found a Grand-Am with the 6 cylinder instead of the head gasket eating Quad-4. Nice looking car.
Indeed.

Knew a girl in HS with one of these. It was beige. She crashed that thing into every curb in ABQ and it kept tickin'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bueller
Check under the seats for ecstasy and Nirvana CD's.

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:09 PM   #14
clevishook
stevedore

Oddometer: 1,474
Quote:
Originally Posted by svs View Post
My Son needed an inexpensive ride and we found a 1994 Pontiac Grand Am 4-door V-6 with 55k on the clock and the prior owner kept it Garaged.

The Car Fax showed consistent low mile usage from the time it was first sold. We got the car for $3k..

I thought we could get the car cheaper seeing as it's a 20 year old Pontiac but this is what the Used car market has to offer at this time.

The Car is insanely clean, Mechanically solid... Keeping our fingers crossed on some of the pattern failures the GM 60 degree V-6's are known for. These cars go well over 200k miles with the issues sorted out and real happy he got a "In New Condition" Used Car...

Was on a New Car dealer (Chevy) lot and they never sell cars this old or this inexpensive, the sales manager was so impressed with the car when in came in as a Trade they kept and decided to sell it on the lot as opposed to wholesaling it out. They originally wanted like $3750 and it would not sell at that. They dropped it to $2995 and I tried to get him to go down from there and he would not budge. We looked around at other lots and private party to see what 3k gets you and quickly realized you can't find this clean for 3K and probably not for 4k. You can by newer model year cars but miles and condition of the car also matter, there're a lot of beat to shit cars out there that are not very old. Why people don't take care of what they spend good money on is beyond me...

Down here that would get tinted windows and 20" wheels in a split second.
clevishook is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:34 PM   #15
Toadady
Push'n parts

Oddometer: 3,594
intake gaskets might go if they haven't already been done

and get a crimp on battery cable end on that battery cable, looks like one of
those bolt on ends. I bet you can wiggle it and it will pull out.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: