User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-12-2014, 02:37 PM   #1
A-Bone OP
Indubitably

Oddometer: 12,125
Dashcams..

Saw this video a while ago and for some reason it stuck in my head...

It might be because I deal with the insurance for our fleet of 70 trucks that I am getting paranoid about scammers...

We have one case going right now that was not even a fender bender...more of a 'fender scratcher'... literally a bump that caused $600 of damage to the other vehicle... and we are being sued for ~$250k of soft-tissue & spine injuries....

Anyone got them in their vehicles??

I would like them in my personal and commercial vehicles... so any experience either way would be helpful...

Best models etc??
A-Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 04:38 PM   #2
seriousracer
be a man dodge tree bark

Oddometer: 7,412
wonder how the police feel if they new you were recording them during a traffic stop..

be a man dodge tree bark!

We’ve said it before, but it bears repeating; the GS handles in ways a two-story building was never meant to.

Taking collections for Faye Butler Training please spare some change.

www.kmotorwerks.com

Remember red and yellow make orange.so to think orange is better means you have to use two steps to get there.
________
seriousracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 06:48 PM   #3
mike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,951
Interesting.I 've thought about getting one, they are pretty cheap. I've seen some stuff I wish I had on video.
Old 04-12-2014, 09:37 PM   #4
ghostrider.y2k
ride enything but HD

Oddometer: 878
I use them in my trucks, I had a bs claim before and video prooved in my favor. There was the chepo one.
I got system in two trucks that record front and back all the time ignition is on.
I do not worry about cops, simple thing like decal will fix it, I thing something like this----> "THIS VEHICLE RECORD AUDIO AND VIDEO AT ALL TIMES,DRIVER HAS NO ABILITY TO CONTROL THE SYSTEM"
It did get my guys off BS traffic stops and cops are polite most of the time.LOL

Y2K

"w strone slonca..........."

ghostrider.y2k screwed with this post 04-12-2014 at 10:06 PM Reason: I can't spell.lol
ghostrider.y2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 04:27 AM   #5
trailer Rails
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,928
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike View Post
Interesting.I 've thought about getting one, they are pretty cheap. I've seen some stuff I wish I had on video.
The problem would be I would want to post all the stupid shit I see everyday. I would have my own crazy Russian driving video within a week.
trailer Rails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 05:41 AM   #6
CousinLarry
Ridin Dirty

Oddometer: 520
Yes I have a GT680w. It's a great camera, good video, good night video, etc.

I got it because ya never know :)

And for times like this when it's snowing and people forget how to drive... The Subie with snow tires always wins!

Old 04-13-2014, 06:27 AM   #7
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 10,574
Quote:
Originally Posted by CousinLarry View Post
Yes I have a GT680w. It's a great camera, good video, good night video, etc.

I got it because ya never know :)

And for times like this when it's snowing and people forget how to drive... The Subie with snow tires always wins!
Nice video, subies with snow tires are so controllable. I wish I had one every time it snowed.

I'm genuinely interested in your camera.

Can you tell us about the ease of use? Does it have an auto start so it records automatically when you start driving? I'd forget all the time. What about uploading the footage? How does it do it super bright sunlight? I'm talking about living with the thing day to day. Do you ever move it between vehicles? Approximate cost?

Thanks

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 06:36 AM   #8
CousinLarry
Ridin Dirty

Oddometer: 520
Very easy to use. I put in my settings once and never touch it again. Runs a 32gb micro SD that's good for like 6hrs of video... Once it gets to the end it starts over-writing the old stuff.. So it will never run out of space. And yeah, it turns on and starts recording every time you start the car. Turn the car off and the camera shuts down. Very easy, I forget it's there most of the time.. Only take it out if I want to look at the video. I haven't used it in another car but it's just a suction cup mount and a cig plug.... I am planning on getting rid of the cig plug and wiring straight to the car's 12v one day soon..

Also - I disabled audio because CT needs both parties to know if audio is being recorded.. So I just shut it off completely to avoid any possible headaches in the future.

I haven't noticed any bad video tendencies, but I haven't watched every minute of it.. I do know that the parts I wanted to see looked great!

It was about $105 for the camera on Amazon, and I think $20 for the SD card.
Old 04-13-2014, 08:09 AM   #9
mike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,951
Quote:

Also - I disabled audio because CT needs both parties to know if audio is being recorded.. .

If I got one I would have to turn off the audio as well in case I had to show it to someone they wouldnt hear all my cussing.
Old 04-13-2014, 01:10 PM   #10
mango_420
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 162
I love them. Got nothing to hide. We use them on you.

Last summer a semi driver had a $40 dashcam and a motorcycle crashed in front of him on I-35. For some unknown reason, he drove on the shoulder and hit the bridge deck.

He had a passenger and she got tossed around hard.

The semi driver had ample following distance, he had no idea how to use it and then I noticed it had a SD card.

I took the card and uploaded the video to my Toughbook.

The video was great for a $40 gadget.

This 'harley' rider wanna had no clue how to handle a big motorcycle. He did not have a moto endorsement, only a permit. Four restrictions are part of a permit; no passenger, no interstate, must wear helmet and no night time operation. He is going to have some serious civil issues. He broke all but the nighttime restriction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seriousracer View Post
wonder how the police feel if they new you were recording them during a traffic stop..
mango_420 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 01:48 PM   #11
MikeFromMT
Past Tense

Oddometer: 3,519
I use Daily Roads Voyager on my smart phone and a car windshield mount kit, the program is free and it uses my phone which is already in its mount, it's not perfect but it's better than nothing. I had a road rage incident with a hot headed semi driver who literally tracked me down and came at me threatening me verbally, said I was holding him back and was fucking with him and driving too slow for the busy two lane hwy we were on, I told him he was driving unsafe and if he had an issue I'd be happy to show him the video along with the audio and gps speed that I was recording, that we could also call the police and let them decide who was acting unsafe. The asshole backed off and changed his attitude real quick at that point.
I'd like to get a decent system that covers front, side and rear, I had a girl who was texting sideswipe my semi one day, she told the cops that I'd hit her, she refused to show up for court but it still cost me $600 bucks in attorney fees.
As for that fuckstick in the first post video, I'd be tempted to blip the gas pedal and roll over his ass, "oops, I guess I hit the wrong pedal, then I got really nervous and backed up because I thought I was on top of him"

Do I look like a man with a plan?
MikeFromMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 06:45 PM   #12
BigDogAdventures
Fart Letter

Oddometer: 4,500
Garmins Dash cam

Garmin just came out with a nice dash cam--thinking of getting one.
About $250 bucks.

Link is here:
https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/shop...rod146282.html

KTM 690 Enduro 2014
BigDogAdventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 07:47 PM   #13
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 10,574
Quote:
Very easy to use. I put in my settings once and never touch it again. Runs a 32gb micro SD that's good for like 6hrs of video... Once it gets to the end it starts over-writing the old stuff.. So it will never run out of space. And yeah, it turns on and starts recording every time you start the car. Turn the car off and the camera shuts down. Very easy, I forget it's there most of the time.. Only take it out if I want to look at the video. I haven't used it in another car but it's just a suction cup mount and a cig plug.... I am planning on getting rid of the cig plug and wiring straight to the car's 12v one day soon..

Also - I disabled audio because CT needs both parties to know if audio is being recorded.. So I just shut it off completely to avoid any possible headaches in the future.

I haven't noticed any bad video tendencies, but I haven't watched every minute of it.. I do know that the parts I wanted to see looked great!

It was about $105 for the camera on Amazon, and I think $20 for the SD card.
I think you just sold another one. The way driving is getting these days, and how everyone blames somebody other than themselves when stuff goes wrong, I feel like you almost need video proof these days.

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 07:50 PM   #14
koncha

Oddometer: 10,026
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDogAdventures View Post
Garmin just came out with a nice dash cam--thinking of getting one.
About $250 bucks.

Link is here:
https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/shop...rod146282.html

Check the specs.

This is cheaper: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00J2OVN74
koncha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:38 PM   #15
Gripsteruser
Service Monkey

Oddometer: 464
Even cheaper - (supply your own microSD card) http://www.amazon.com/E-PRANCE-DashB...2&keywords=G1W

I just started using one and am still learning how it all works but the price point finally got to where I am willing to buy.

Oh and I just ordered 2 more - one for each of the other cars.

Seems like really, really cheap insurance as well as a way to show the mayhem that goes on out there to others. (I've been commuting 2 hrs a day for almost 11 years now and have seen LOTS of stuff and even dodged death twice.)

You'd think Garmin would combine dashcam with normal GPS in a nice package. Maybe they are still testing it?

Previous- XT350, CB900F, XL185S, GS425E

Gripsteruser screwed with this post Today at 12:39 PM Reason: Garmin
Gripsteruser is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: