Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 375 votes, 4.97 average. Display Modes
Old 02-20-2011, 05:27 PM   #1501
Tom S
Can I ride it?

Oddometer: 4,235
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroySmith View Post
great link if you're shopping for an old van, thanks!
Yeah, one guy there has been goin' nuts searching out all those vans for sale.
He has posted several every day for quite a while now. Wouldn’t be surprised if you could find an affordable older van that you like near you.
Tom S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 05:39 PM   #1502
natedog39
New Sheriff in town

Oddometer: 6,193
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroySmith View Post
haha, nice rig! Interior pics? Does it suck to drive? That lift is sweet for the bike. You got ice tires or something on the bike?

I'm curious about those new Husabergs with the horizontal cylinder, but i guess that's another thread.
It rides nice actually,,,better than my pickup empty.

Not too good on gas though,,,but there is alot of vehicle there though,,almost 8,000 lbs empty.

Yes there are ice tires on the bike and it is awesome.

2014 FE 501
2012 990Adv

Team Ghetto does a hot lap of America
natedog39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 07:53 AM   #1503
Boredsurfer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 382
can anyone sum this thread up?....

cuz I'm now addicted and I freakin' need to do some work today damnit

I currently have a V-6 Nissan pick-up as the daily driver but gas is gonna be shit here in CA real soon so I'm gonna ditch the pick-up, by an econobox for the daily grind and pick up a moto-van i think....

Anyways, here's the million dollar question - which is the best van for SoCal weekend moto hauling? MPG is the most important consideration, but also power, cargo, (4X4 needed?) are all considerations. Originally thought a GMC/Safari for the V6 but now not so sure. Enlighten me van-aholics! Which is this best?

Thank you so much - now back to craigslist.....
Boredsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 09:09 AM   #1504
seriousracer
be a man dodge tree bark

Oddometer: 7,426

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boredsurfer View Post

I currently have a V-6 Nissan pick-up as the daily driver but gas is gonna be shit here in CA real soon so I'm gonna ditch the pick-up, by an econobox for the daily grind and pick up a moto-van i think....

Anyways, here's the million dollar question - which is the best van for SoCal weekend moto hauling? MPG is the most important consideration, but also power, cargo, (4X4 needed?) are all considerations. Originally thought a GMC/Safari for the V6 but now not so sure. Enlighten me van-aholics! Which is this best?

be a man dodge tree bark!

We’ve said it before, but it bears repeating; the GS handles in ways a two-story building was never meant to.

Taking collections for Faye Butler Training please spare some change.

www.kmotorwerks.com

Remember red and yellow make orange.so to think orange is better means you have to use two steps to get there.
________
seriousracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 10:14 AM   #1505
Hayduke OP
///SAFETY THIRD///

Oddometer: 43,453
Quote:

Ford econoline E350 extended cargo with 7.3 turbo diesel. You're welcome.

Hayduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 10:16 AM   #1506
FLYING EYEBALL
out of step

Oddometer: 10,364
Quote:
Originally Posted by natedog39 View Post
I scored this cheap and used it for bike duty this afternoon.

Having my bike inside where it's warm and having a place to change is new to me as its been just pickups for me up to this point.

sweet

whats cheap?

my photos http://jskustoms.smugmug.com/

save yourself some $ with my smuggy discount code qvMaWy1bTFU7c
FLYING EYEBALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 10:18 AM   #1507
Hayduke OP
///SAFETY THIRD///

Honestly though, I think any full sized van after about '95 would work- seems that the 6 cylinders don't really get any better mileage than the v-8's and they seem gutless to me, so I'd go v-8 gas, unless you want to spend the extra $$ for a diesel (if you have the money, go deisel- so worth it IMHO.)

4x4 is going to hurt fuel mileage, so unless you really like taking the van into stupid places, probably not necessary. Personally I'd rather park the van and ride to the stupid places.

Good deals to be found out there!

Old 02-22-2011, 02:43 PM   #1508
natedog39
New Sheriff in town

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYING EYEBALL View Post
sweet

whats cheap?
$1,800

01 5.7 99,000 miles.

2014 FE 501
2012 990Adv

Old 02-22-2011, 08:34 PM   #1509
FLYING EYEBALL
out of step

Oddometer: 10,364
Quote:
Originally Posted by natedog39 View Post
$1,800

01 5.7 99,000 miles.
nice

you could probably pull the whole lift assembly out and sell off the rig and get your $$ back.

my photos http://jskustoms.smugmug.com/

save yourself some $ with my smuggy discount code qvMaWy1bTFU7c
FLYING EYEBALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 07:50 AM   #1510
Boredsurfer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 382
Thnx Hayduke!

Just what is was looking for - great response!! Just wondering - why no love for the Chevy or Dodge? I actually found a 7.3L diesel one locally but diesel is more expensive around here - plus there are only 2 biodiesel pumps in L.A. now and they want $4.25/gallon

Looks like it's the gas version for me - would a KTM 5## EXC-R fit right in without dropping the bars? I know, I know - more frigging questions. I figure the way to run this van is get someone to share the gas money on the weekends......
Boredsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 01:29 PM   #1511
natedog39
New Sheriff in town

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYING EYEBALL View Post
nice

you could probably pull the whole lift assembly out and sell off the rig and get your $$ back.
I could but the lift was the main reason I bought that particular one.

I use it for more the just loading the bike and using a ramp to get in the back door is tricky at best.

My toolbox weighs 300+ lbs and is top heavy so a ramp is no good for that.

2014 FE 501
2012 990Adv

Old 02-23-2011, 03:04 PM   #1512
c.vestal
Rally On

Oddometer: 4,828
Quote:
Just what is was looking for - great response!! Just wondering - why no love for the Chevy or Dodge? I actually found a 7.3L diesel one locally but diesel is more expensive around here - plus there are only 2 biodiesel pumps in L.A. now and they want $4.25/gallon

Looks like it's the gas version for me - would a KTM 5## EXC-R fit right in without dropping the bars? I know, I know - more frigging questions. I figure the way to run this van is get someone to share the gas money on the weekends......
I have an '09 530. With a ramp it fits right in.

*** It is close enough of a fit. If I put the back wheels of the van in a hole and the ramp does not have much slope.... it takes some finesse to get in.
c.vestal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 03:25 PM   #1513
spagthorpe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 14,412
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayduke View Post
4x4 is going to hurt fuel mileage, so unless you really like taking the van into stupid places, probably not necessary. Personally I'd rather park the van and ride to the stupid places.

Good deals to be found out there!
Sometimes your best option is to park the van off the road. Way off the road. I can see it would be really handy for that.
spagthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 06:56 PM   #1514
Hayduke OP
///SAFETY THIRD///

Quote:

I think a chevy or Dodge would be fine too- seems like all of the full size vans are about the same size, same price, and get around the same mileage.

With my econoline, I can put my 525 inside fine, but it is a bit easier if I compress the forks with a strap before rolling it in. I also run a sub-mount damper, so the bars are higher than stock.

Old 02-24-2011, 01:27 AM   #1515
garandman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,822
Quote:

I've got pics of my V-Strom with windshield and mirrors removed in the back of a Chevy Express, but Smugmug is read-only at the moment. Stay tuned.

IIRC the load doors are 48" high and the ceiling 55".

The Ford Transit Connect has more headroom, but is too short for long bikes like the V-Strom. An SV650 fits right in.

“The problem in defense is how far you can go without destroying from within what you are trying to defend from without.” ― Dwight D. Eisenhower

garandman screwed with this post 02-24-2011 at 01:37 AM
garandman is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: