Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 432 votes, 4.98 average. Display Modes
Old 01-16-2013, 05:25 PM   #5866
Ko
Observant as never

Oddometer: 1,107
Quote:
Originally Posted by dentedvw View Post
We've been shopping again, and still come up wanting something not available here, unless we buy a $printer. I just am not ready to buy into the Mercedes parts problems, not to mention the cost of the thing. Whoa.

Maybe Ford will stop pushing back the release of the new full size Transit.

Maybe Nissan will offer the longer wheelbase NV.

Maybe Dodge will bring in the Fiat Ducato.

One way or another, I am ready to stop dumping money into the old Ford E350. I don't want to spend another few grand putting a solid axle in, only to change vehicles in a year.
Give me something I can put an ARB in the rear, and at least a little bit of a lift please. I hate getting stuck in the desert.
If you hate the price of a Sprinter, what makes you think that the new Transit, or Ducato, is going to be much cheaper? FYI, Ducatos sit lower due to FWD. Although the rumour is they'll bring Ivecos as well in order to compete with Sprinter dually's. But when?

I still hope that Chrysler will bring the 4x4 Daily... if you get stuck in desert with 24 gears you're doing it wrong I'd be one of the first to put down a deposit on one of those...

Have you considered a mild version, such as an AWD Savana?

Money wise, you can do all that to an E350 and still be much under the price of a Sprinter.

Ko

Ko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 03:22 PM   #5867
Otis the Sasquatch
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,050
Just when I thought I knew everything.....

I learn that International Harvester made quite a few runs at developing a van through the 60's & 70's.

My favorite, the proposed Scout-Based AWD mini-van.

The pics of the prior prototypes are in this "Hemmings Daily" article.
http://blog.hemmings.com/index.php/2...rs/?refer=news

Fact is, I like roads. I like to move.
Harry Truman
Otis the Sasquatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 03:51 PM   #5868
z@ch
Turn it up to eleven

Oddometer: 4,682
Man, Chevy didn't exactly design the Astro in house did they?
z@ch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 06:13 PM   #5869
JN3n
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 168
I could not wait any longer for the Ford Transit. I bought a Sprinter 144" low roof . I was suprised how much I like the Sprinter.
The NV was just proportioned all wrong for me . I just could not bring myself to get another GMC or a Ford when I knew the new vans were coming out.
Ford kept jacking around and pushed the release date until 3rd quarter of 2013 for the Transit and that was not a firm date yet.
Fiat , Well is just Fiat and Chrysler just sucks at any commitment to a van.

So after much agonizing I went to Mercedes and test drove a Sprinter 170" and both 144" low and high roof. I liked the 144" low for me. I just could not get past the 37k sticker for a pretty standard van . Power windows ,power mirrors,AM/FM/CD and a few other little odds and ends. The dealer had a few 13''s and two 12's and that was it.

I wasnt going too buy right away until my dealer called and knocked off almost 8k off the top over the phone then said if I came in he would make it sweeter . Well I can"t believe it but just for grins I went down one evening and he wasn't bs"ing me and knocked off $ 700 more and gave me my first service free. So now I am putting carpet on the floor , lining the walls with an outdoor fabric on wall board , putting in bike chocks , sattelite radio and tinting the windows .
I don't give a shit about what anyone say's about Mercedes dealers because mine was truthful about the deal and did what they promised. So Ford lost out on this one but I walked out of a car dealer and was happy with the deal. How refreshing.
Just wanted to share my two cents worth if it helps..
Old 01-23-2013, 06:31 PM   #5870
madeouttaglass
The AntiHarley

Oddometer: 3,132
Wow, sounds great! Just think how many more they'd sell if the window sticker showed under 30K to begin with.

Escape from NY- http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=955520
madeouttaglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 02:15 PM   #5871
ktm360mx
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 157
Dealer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JN3n View Post
I could not wait any longer for the Ford Transit. I bought a Sprinter 144" low roof . I was suprised how much I like the Sprinter.
The NV was just proportioned all wrong for me . I just could not bring myself to get another GMC or a Ford when I knew the new vans were coming out.
Ford kept jacking around and pushed the release date until 3rd quarter of 2013 for the Transit and that was not a firm date yet.
Fiat , Well is just Fiat and Chrysler just sucks at any commitment to a van.

So after much agonizing I went to Mercedes and test drove a Sprinter 170" and both 144" low and high roof. I liked the 144" low for me. I just could not get past the 37k sticker for a pretty standard van . Power windows ,power mirrors,AM/FM/CD and a few other little odds and ends. The dealer had a few 13''s and two 12's and that was it.

I wasnt going too buy right away until my dealer called and knocked off almost 8k off the top over the phone then said if I came in he would make it sweeter . Well I can"t believe it but just for grins I went down one evening and he wasn't bs"ing me and knocked off $ 700 more and gave me my first service free. So now I am putting carpet on the floor , lining the walls with an outdoor fabric on wall board , putting in bike chocks , sattelite radio and tinting the windows .
I don't give a shit about what anyone say's about Mercedes dealers because mine was truthful about the deal and did what they promised. So Ford lost out on this one but I walked out of a car dealer and was happy with the deal. How refreshing.
Just wanted to share my two cents worth if it helps..
Sounds like a good experience. We are considering a sprinter too. With the sticker of $55, we are moving slow. Could you share the dealer info? Id like to talk to them.
ktm360mx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 06:28 AM   #5872
JN3n
Gnarly Adventurer

Art at Mercedes Sprinter , Reno Nevada . Very motovated dealer. They will do their best to beat any posted price .
Old 01-29-2013, 10:48 AM   #5873
dentedvw
Where did I put that

Oddometer: 2,151
Hmm... and Reno isn't THAT far away either.

And for grins:
Old 01-29-2013, 07:06 PM   #5874
JN3n
Gnarly Adventurer

The Van above was my Trade-in on the Sprinter !!!
Old 01-29-2013, 09:34 PM   #5875
Ko
Observant as never

that contraption is wrong on so many levels...

On a different note, curious how much my mileage will be affected by towing a 5k trailer - 7.3 PSD, raised roof. At -22 Fahrenheit

Ko

Old 01-30-2013, 07:14 AM   #5876
a1fa
Riding Nomad™

Oddometer: 13,502
5+/-5
Old 01-30-2013, 07:28 AM   #5877
Hayduke OP
///SAFETY THIRD///

Oddometer: 43,508
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ko View Post
that contraption is wrong on so many levels...

On a different note, curious how much my mileage will be affected by towing a 5k trailer - 7.3 PSD, raised roof. At -22 Fahrenheit

Ko
My 7.3 gets about 20 mpg in typical driving without a trailer, and about 11-12 mpg when I'm pulling our travel trailer and hauling our bikes (a bit over 5,000 lbs I'd guess). When it's that cold, I stay home.

Hayduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:22 AM   #5878
Ko
Observant as never

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayduke View Post
My 7.3 gets about 20 mpg in typical driving without a trailer, and about 11-12 mpg when I'm pulling our travel trailer and hauling our bikes (a bit over 5,000 lbs I'd guess). When it's that cold, I stay home.
Not an option, I'm moving 1600 miles away...to a place where the average temp is only a bit higher this time of the year

Filling from truck stops should, theoretically, ensure that the fuel won't gel... additives will help too. But the heating in this beast is totally inadequate, I see an Espar/something in its future if I stay there.

Ko

Old 01-30-2013, 09:22 AM   #5879
Ko
Observant as never

Quote:
Originally Posted by a1fa View Post
5+/-5
Let's hope...

Ko

Old 01-30-2013, 11:23 AM   #5880
dwayne
Silly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ko View Post
Not an option, I'm moving 1600 miles away...to a place where the average temp is only a bit higher this time of the year

Filling from truck stops should, theoretically, ensure that the fuel won't gel... additives will help too. But the heating in this beast is totally inadequate, I see an Espar/something in its future if I stay there.

Ko
Lots of people rely on diesel power at much colder temperatures without any additives. Just be sure the fuel in the tank is winter diesel (which starts showing up in most of Canada as early as September).

A winter front (or just a piece of cardboard) and the right thermostat will go a long way to keeping the engine temp up, and a curtain of some type behind the front seats will help to. Princess Auto also sells aux. heatercore/fan assemblies if you need heat in the back (I am assuming you have a cargo model), or you can head to a wrecker to find the Ford version of the same thing. While an Espar type heater will keep up, you will use much less fuel if you insulate (again assuming a bare van).

A "Day" of Dirt Biking Rockies East Slopes
High and Dry Colorado and Utah

"When your only tool is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail"
dwayne is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: