Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 64 votes, 4.84 average. Display Modes
Old 03-17-2013, 07:22 AM   #6121
Berto
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,135
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLynn85 View Post
Can I play?

93 E-350 Diesel, interior getting a mild camperization.

Had plans to haul the KLR on the back but might be a bit much, may be time to downsize back to a 250.

How much room do you have in the back? I don't remember much from my time in the back of one.There is one on craigslist not to far from me for cheap

Everyone has a use in life. Even if it is only to serve as a bad example
Berto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 08:00 AM   #6122
a1fa
Riding Nomad™

Oddometer: 13,299
are you boys not grossed out a bit?
Old 03-17-2013, 08:06 AM   #6123
dentedvw
Where did I put that

Oddometer: 2,135
Van is looking great DCHead!
Old 03-17-2013, 08:09 AM   #6124
CLynn85
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselcruiserhead View Post
Carl, wow, can we have some details? For example where did that little stove range come from?

Got windows and a door into our new 04 E-350 turbo diesel box van. The van is proving to be killer, lots of room, I'm 6'5 and just barely fit in it but normal height people are fine. Full 10' long and 6'6" wide. Has the stock 138" ford wheel base. Handles like a van, really isn't too much larger driving wise, but has gobs more room inside. The huge windows have been killer, purchased used off the local classifieds and came from an RV.

I removed the separator between the cab and the box already. I also put in a nice stereo and better center console. It also boogies nicely. I have a 2" Maxx-Lift ready to be installed and some other goodies keeping it simple... Tires will be 235 85 R16 my new favorite tire size. All E rated, 31.8" tall but only 6" wide tread or so, good for fuel efficiency and handling in the snow. I'll likely be buying out the last of the Cooper Discovery ATRs which are a good meaty all terrain that are nice and cheap right now... More photos and details to come shortly...
Love the box van, we looked at a few cube vans when we were searching, was just hard to find one that hadn't been beat to @#$%. Would love to see some more details on your conversion, like the side door and what you're doing in the back.

The cooktop is just a generic 2-burner atwood RV unit, they retail around $98. Fridge is a 63qt edgestar that we've used for the last couple years for race weekends and in other campers, mounted it to a sliding tray.

The tires in the first picture are actually Cooper 235/85 AT3's, which are kind of their replacement for the atr. I haven't gotten too far off the beaten path yet with them but looking forward to seeing how they perform with the limited slip rear.

Interior height in mine is only 5-7 in most parts, there's a narrow strip down the middle that is 5-10 so I can stand up straight-ish. There's a bit more room to be had so at some point the ceiling might get ripped out and redone for more headroom and less lights.

Press on!
CLynn85 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 09:19 PM   #6125
dieselcruiserhead
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,195
Thx Carl, right on, I'll have to check that out. Been thinking a lot aobut an electric fridge. With a couple solar panels that would be great. I agree about it being hard finding one not completely beat to shit. Also these are made of plastic coated plywood, so not the most durable in the rear. Surprisingly durable, but not hugely, so you do have to be cautious to make sure there aren't any major issues. This one was in good shape, the engine recently had a ton of work done to it to address the EGR / oil cooler issue on the 6.0s, so it was solid. It had also briefly been a camper in its past life as well, hence the roof rack made of pipe.
This said I've undone a ton of stuff on it so far, it's a great base...

Door I also bought off the local classifieds. I have a spare if anyone is interested or needs one, in great shape. This is the good little size that's out there, complete with a screen door.

I'll probably put a thread together somewhere as I get farther along...
dieselcruiserhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 09:40 PM   #6126
Road Rash
Infamous

Oddometer: 18,163
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYING EYEBALL View Post
needs a cargo trailer with a Ural inside

when are you picking it up?

I'm not, like I said..........................

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Rash View Post
............not as nice as the pics make it look

My Ride Through Roatan
Road Rash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 10:20 AM   #6127
selaznog
Avoiding pavement

Oddometer: 2,379
Mine made it out this past weekend.

When a resolute young fellow steps up to the great bully, the world, and takes him boldly by the beard, he is often surprised to find it comes off in his hand, and that it was only tied on to scare away the timid adventurers. -RWE
selaznog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 12:24 PM   #6128
dieselcruiserhead
Beastly Adventurer

I've been posting some of my plans over the expedition portal site which I used to hang out on quite a bit back in the day. at some point I'll put a buildup somewhere especially as I have more things done. I'll be keeping it simple I think and add things as they are needed. But I think the biggest thing with the box van is that you can sleep in it sideways. It's 6'6" wide, so even me at 6'5 fits in it.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/foru...15#post1305615
Old 03-19-2013, 04:13 PM   #6129
dieselcruiserhead
Beastly Adventurer

Tire Sizes for Vans

I looked around at lot at different tire sizes for vans. I came to the conclusion that 235 85R 16 is a completely bad ass tire size for vans. A little cheaper when you find it than many other sizes. This size only comes in E-rated. many are M+S rated and most manufacturers of aggressive aka "traction" type tires make their sizes in this size. they measure 31.8" diameter (about the same as 265 85 R 16) except that it's about an inch narrower, and lighter.

Better mileage, snow and mud traction, with all of the same girth...

This is what the box van has in the rear right now. Just ordered up 4 new ones for all 4 corners. Got a screamin deal on the Cooper ATRs which are the predecessor to the AT3 they just came out with and are on closeout. Still a good meaty tire. I paid $126 a tire or about $625 with tax and mount and balance through Discount Tire.

I was considering BFG ATs agian but the ATR seems to have similar characteristics (in terms of off road) but has a center groove for better mileage and is siped for decent snow performance. Pretty excited to see how they do but everything I've seen online is great. I also think they'll last a little longer than a BFG AT with luck. Not that BFG AT are that bad at all and they have treated me great over the years...

photo off the internets

Old 03-19-2013, 05:15 PM   #6130
miguelitro
tierra de boobies

Oddometer: 738
here is a good build from another sight i frequent.
it has a good surprise at the end
http://www.dezertrangers.com/vb/gene...n/166505-1.htm
I'd rather be riding a 200 in Ecuador than any dream bike here.
miguelitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 06:09 PM   #6131
hyperboarder
Potato Farmer

Oddometer: 999
Quote:
I looked around at lot at different tire sizes for vans. I came to the conclusion that 235 85R 16 is a completely bad ass tire size for vans. A little cheaper when you find it than many other sizes. This size only comes in E-rated. many are M+S rated and most manufacturers of aggressive aka "traction" type tires make their sizes in this size. they measure 31.8" diameter (about the same as 265 85 R 16) except that it's about an inch narrower, and lighter.

Better mileage, snow and mud traction, with all of the same girth...

This is what the box van has in the rear right now. Just ordered up 4 new ones for all 4 corners. Got a screamin deal on the Cooper ATRs which are the predecessor to the AT3 they just came out with and are on closeout. Still a good meaty tire. I paid $126 a tire or about $625 with tax and mount and balance through Discount Tire.

I was considering BFG ATs agian but the ATR seems to have similar characteristics (in terms of off road) but has a center groove for better mileage and is siped for decent snow performance. Pretty excited to see how they do but everything I've seen online is great. I also think they'll last a little longer than a BFG AT with luck. Not that BFG AT are that bad at all and they have treated me great over the years...

photo off the internets
Do those fit under the stock suspension? Also, any more details on the center console? I currently have a cooler bungied in between the front seats :). Also looking for something to attach to the headliner, lots of wasted space up there.

Quarter Life Crisis 2011 Ural National Rally
hyperboarder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 07:17 PM   #6132
Ko
Observant as never

Oddometer: 1,101
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperboarder View Post
Do those fit under the stock suspension? .
Yeah they do- in my case there's a slight rub under full turn with suspension movement, but that's because of the heavy/thick running boards with wheel flares. Without those would be no problem.

Ko

Ko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 09:08 PM   #6133
dieselcruiserhead
Beastly Adventurer

Correct, they should fit without a lift. This said I still plan on the 2" lift and definitely could have gone larger but I still like this for the fuel mileage etc (though the lift will counteract some of that).

For the center console, I've been junkyarding lately and there are decent ones all over the yards. Its amazing how commercial vans go down. This said, I got impatient and read another thread where a guy had put in one of these off ebay. http://www.ebay.com/itm/320971756364...84.m1439.l2649

So I bought one and put it in too. At first I thought it was over priced at about $60 with shipping, but its really really growing on me and there are tons of little spots for additional storage. So I'm definitely likeing it. The color is slightly different than the gray in our XL line van but it still looks great and functions awesome. So I'm pumped about it...
Old 03-20-2013, 06:31 AM   #6134
Hayduke OP
///SAFETY THIRD///

Oddometer: 43,113
Quote:
Correct, they should fit without a lift. This said I still plan on the 2" lift and definitely could have gone larger but I still like this for the fuel mileage etc (though the lift will counteract some of that).

For the center console, I've been junkyarding lately and there are decent ones all over the yards. Its amazing how commercial vans go down. This said, I got impatient and read another thread where a guy had put in one of these off ebay. http://www.ebay.com/itm/320971756364...84.m1439.l2649

So I bought one and put it in too. At first I thought it was over priced at about $60 with shipping, but its really really growing on me and there are tons of little spots for additional storage. So I'm definitely likeing it. The color is slightly different than the gray in our XL line van but it still looks great and functions awesome. So I'm pumped about it...
Do you have a pic of that in the van? I've been looking for a better console; mine just has one large opening and a couple of drink holders.

Hayduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 06:36 AM   #6135
hyperboarder
Potato Farmer

Oddometer: 999
Quote:

Do you know if that console will fit all years with the newer body style? Mines a 92, not sure what changed interior wise. Also, is yours the 250 or 350? Would that matter with the tires? I like the idea of a tall skinny tire.

Quarter Life Crisis 2011 Ural National Rally
hyperboarder is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: