User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-17-2009, 12:06 AM   #1
DiabloBlanco OP
Intl' Hops Inspector

Oddometer: 301
Installing Wunderlich rear splash guard F650/800

This might be better placed somewhere else in these forums, but I'm to lazy.

Anyhow, Hey all The good Sir Blackie (I say ďgoodĒ even though heís from Canadia), had asked if Iíd done a step by step photo shoot of my install of the Wunderlich rear splash guard/mud hugger. I certainly failed to think of it, but since it was the biggest pain in the @$$ thing that Iíve installed I figured Iíd go ahead and take a few pictures and explain the hook up.
The instructions that come with it are actually pretty good, but the one big shortfall is the photocopied bad quality black and white pictures included with it, so this may help the most.
First off go ahead and put everything together like the instructions say. Easier said than done. 1) You get these little four rubber seals that are a MOTHER to put on. Why canít this stuff come pre-attached? I fought with it for while before my neighbor suggested a little soap and water to get them seated. Did the trick. Fingers hurt like hell afterwards. Anyhow, 2) after getting those SOBs in there and putting in the cylindrical spacer type inserts you grab the two brackets that each have two screws in them and put those through the back and through the metal brackets in the front. Once again, this is a minor pain. If you canít manage to get the washers with the nuts attached to the brackets, try taking the bracket out and turning it around. Youíre now ready to hit the garage (leave the two bolts out for now).
3) Letís take off some nuts. First (and the easiest) take off the rear brake line screw (1), then the frontmost one (2). That second frontmost one was THE biggest problem of the install as the factory had tightened it down so hard and itís in such a tight location that I couldnít get my torx allen-type wrench to budge it. I wound up having to use a vise grips to unscrew it, little by little. It took forever. Once you have those two off, go around to the other side of the bike and take off chain guard screws (3&4, 3 isnít explicitly said in the instructions, but can only help to be off) and then get in there and remove the inside screw (5).

4) Now move back to the left side of the bike (brake line side). Wipe clean the area on the swing arm between the two screw holes under the brake line. This is where that padded tape will go. Youíll have to cut it to size. I cut it just short of the length of the two screws. Have fun getting it perfectly straight from one to the next. Oh well, good Ďnuf. Now emplace the splash guard underneath the brake line. Now run over to the chain guard side of the bike to make sure itís lined up with the hole of screw 4 and screw 5. Good. Now back to the brake line side. Easiest way for this was to screw that frontmost screw (2) back in (with its spacer on top of the mudguard bracket) through the bracket into the hole. This time I was able to use the torx for re-insertion. Now take the plastic brake line guide and slip it into its slot on top of the Wunder bracket with the front screw (2) and line up the rear hole of the guide and the bracket and put screw (1) back in. This side uses the original screws. Almost done.
5) back to the other side. This could have been a bigger pain, but surprisingly wasnít. You take the black spacer and put it over the hole screw 5 was in, lifting the Wunder bracket up and onto it. Then insert the Wunder provided screw (allen) with washer and screw it on in there (not necessarily a good angle). Itís tight, but manageable. Next screw the Wunder provided allen screw into where the BMW 4 screw was and make sure it lines up on the backside with the Wunder bracket. Now for some dexterity (and thereís no good angle for this either), you blindly reach back and slip the washer on the back end of the screw, then reach back and put the nut on, give it a turn to make sure itíll hold. Then you grab a wrench/socket (10mm or ĹĒ) and hold the Wunder bracket down onto the swing arm to give you space to tighten the nut. Probably couldnít do it with a normal ratchet, but Iím fortunate in that I had ordered the Adventure Designs F800/650 tool kit that has a removable ratchet head that comes off the handle, so I had space to use it. If you donít have something like that then your best bet might be just to use a wrench and spend the time it will take to make a bunch of quarter-turns to get it nice and tight.
6) Put screw 3 back on and be glad youíre done!

US (MN, WI, IA, KS, OK, MO, TX), Mexico, Belize, Guatemala, El Salvador, Honduras, Nicaragua, Costa Rica, Panama, Colombia, Venezuela. 11 down, 184 to go.
DiabloBlanco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 02:04 AM   #2
blackie
Still Hibernating

Oddometer: 434
I say well done old chap! Nice little hugger that one, now waiting for mine to come
Old 02-17-2009, 02:34 AM   #3
mrpete64
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 562
In your estimation....how well does it work?

Mr. Pete--->
aging hippie
mrpete64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 07:38 AM   #4
DiabloBlanco OP
Intl' Hops Inspector

Well Minnesota has yet to thaw, it'll be a couple few more weeks before I'll be able to test it in any fashion. Truth be told with it mounted it doesn't look like it offers an amazing amount of protection, but I'd like to think the engineers that designed it aren't exactly idiots, so maybe it does its job perfectly.... time will tell
US (MN, WI, IA, KS, OK, MO, TX), Mexico, Belize, Guatemala, El Salvador, Honduras, Nicaragua, Costa Rica, Panama, Colombia, Venezuela. 11 down, 184 to go.
Old 02-17-2009, 09:20 AM   #5
Motoriley
Even my posing is virtual

Oddometer: 2,647
Splash guard

Nice write up. How a bout a few more pics from different angles of the finished product. Where did you get the part? Can't seem to find it on the websites.
Website - http://www.apormc.com/
Vids - http://www.youtube.com/user/Motoriley?feature=mhum
Motoriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 11:59 AM   #6
DiabloBlanco OP
Intl' Hops Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motoriley
Nice write up. How a bout a few more pics from different angles of the finished product. Where did you get the part? Can't seem to find it on the websites.
Yeah I'll add a few more when I get a chance, prob tomorrow. The thing was a pain to get on, but now that it's on I'm glad I did it.
It's not directly listed on WunderlichAmerica.com website, but you can go to "order by part number" with part number 8160544 and then click the part number. Took about 3 weeks to get it. I also ordered their radiator guard as I think it's the better looking one of those available. That too must be ordered by part number (8500074 if you care). This link might or might not work for the splash guard:

http://www.wunderlichamerica.com/mm5...w=&range_high=
Old 02-17-2009, 01:03 PM   #7
Motoriley
Even my posing is virtual

Oddometer: 2,647
Hugger

I am always unimpressed by how on modern bikes the fenders do so little to protect anything. On my 1150gs the front was way too short to keep crap off the engine and rider. I put on a Fenda Extenda and even added a little mud flap to that and it worked great. The rear wasn't much better. The underside of my Givi including the latching mechanism would fill up with crud. Added an extension on the license plate and that helped a little. There was a little rubber flap to protect the shock somewhat. From what I can see on the F800 (don't take delivery for a few more days) the shock looks pretty vulnerable in stock form.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabloBlanco
Yeah I'll add a few more when I get a chance, prob tomorrow. The thing was a pain to get on, but now that it's on I'm glad I did it.
It's not directly listed on WunderlichAmerica.com website, but you can go to "order by part number" with part number 8160544 and then click the part number. Took about 3 weeks to get it. I also ordered their radiator guard as I think it's the better looking one of those available. That too must be ordered by part number (8500074 if you care). This link might or might not work for the splash guard:

http://www.wunderlichamerica.com/mm5...w=&range_high=
Website - http://www.apormc.com/
Vids - http://www.youtube.com/user/Motoriley?feature=mhum
Motoriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 02:10 PM   #8
WoodWorks
House Ape

Oddometer: 2,203
Quote:
Yeah I'll add a few more when I get a chance, prob tomorrow.
I'll be intersted in seeing it from as many angles as you can get, Diablo. I'm sure I want to install this one or the soon-to-be-available Mudsling from machineartmoto. The shock is just too exposed.

Thanks for this thread, BTW.

David

I'm tryin' ta think, but nuttin' happens!
--Curly
WoodWorks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 04:38 PM   #9
DiabloBlanco OP
Intl' Hops Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodWorks
I'll be intersted in seeing it from as many angles as you can get, Diablo. I'm sure I want to install this one or the soon-to-be-available Mudsling from machineartmoto. The shock is just too exposed.

Thanks for this thread, BTW.

David
Here's some pics... On a side note, that mudslinger looks pretty sweet. I can't imagine it would be less painful to install (except for maybe the little rubber bits) since it would likely use the same mounting positions, but it does look really nice. Not much more expensive either. No way to know which would do a better job at this point though. Time will tell.

the left side is harder to shoot as there is more stuff in the way, the right side shoots pretty well though...
Old 02-18-2009, 03:53 PM   #10
The Griz
North Forest Rider

Oddometer: 3,768
Nice, Jordan. If you don't mind me asking, what did it cost you in US dollars?

Seems like it'd at least keep the dirt and grime off of the rear shock.
The Griz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 05:35 PM   #11
DiabloBlanco OP
Intl' Hops Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Griz
Nice, Jordan. If you don't mind me asking, what did it cost you in US dollars?

Seems like it'd at least keep the dirt and grime off of the rear shock.
It was 125, there's a link to it by part number a few posts up (no picture is shown on the Wunder website though, but that's it). That mudsling that someone else posted a link to looks pretty good too for 35 dollars more, but isn't out yet.
Old 02-19-2009, 12:42 PM   #12
blackie
Still Hibernating

Oddometer: 434
Quote:
It was 125, there's a link to it by part number a few posts up (no picture is shown on the Wunder website though, but that's it). That mudsling that someone else posted a link to looks pretty good too for 35 dollars more, but isn't out yet.
I kinda like this one more than the mudsling, mainly becos if it gets crudded up, it looks easier to clean...