Green Side Up

Oddometer: 673
What's the closest border crossing into Mexico from Phoenix

Anyone, Anyone?
Old 02-20-2009, 05:25 AM   #2
Moncho11
White bikes rock!

Oddometer: 84
You can ride south to Tucson and cross at Nogales... mostly interstate fast but possibly boring... Or you can ride to the Organ Pipe National monumen to lukeville and then cross the border to Sonoita in MX... Probably a lot better riding, less crouds and possibly an easier crossing.... About safety well no clue! shouldn't be worst than riding through Nogales.

Good luck
Moncho11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 06:42 AM   #3
stroming it softly
twins forever

Oddometer: 173
Lukeville is the closest crossing to Phoenix, much less busy, little to no traffic except on holidays/spring break. I would skip Nogales-huge traffic, tons of 18 wheelers and many narco problems on the Mexico side. The trip through Organ Pipe Nat. Mon. from Why is pretty awesome and quite unique. Gas and the restaurants at lukeville are pricey, fill up at Why or wait and fill across the border, gas is cheaper and so is the food. Once you cross you are in Sonoita, many restaurants, gas, stores, typical border town but pretty laid back. Cheers!
Old 02-20-2009, 06:26 PM   #4
Lone Rider

Oddometer: 25,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroopFuel
Anyone, Anyone?
Most all convenience stores in AZ have...maps.
Lone Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 06:41 PM   #5
Captain Adventure
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
I just came thru Nogales a week ago and it went smoothly. No admin or paperwork until you are about 25 minutes in. Bring photocopies of passport, drivers license and vehicle reg to speed process.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroopFuel
Anyone, Anyone?

Captain Adventure - FloorMan
www.skillride.com
Captain Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 04:27 PM   #6
Lone Rider

Oddometer: 25,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Adventure
I just came thru Nogales a week ago and it went smoothly. No admin or paperwork until you are about 25 minutes in. Bring photocopies of passport, drivers license and vehicle reg to speed process.

Actually, it doesn't really speed up the process because you'll need a copy of the Tourist Card, assuming you're getting a temp vehicle permit.
Lone Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 09:05 PM   #7
gasandasphalt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 469
Crossing,

The crossing into Mex. at Lukeville/Sonoita is super easy all you do is drive in and be on your way,,, the entire state of Sonora, MX. is FREE ZONE, no papers or permits required... when you leave Sonora going south you will do your paper work and bike/car permits then... If you take care of all your paper work in PHX. you will sail right on thru. My experience is that it is getting easier to travel in Mex. last year I went all the way to Yucatan and back and was never once asked for any documents or ID, I always keep my Bike permit in my tank bag (don't put on windshield) and turn it in when exiting MEX. also have crossed at Nogales on early Sunday AM and there was not one person waiting for visas or permits,, about 15 min. total... with current conditions in MEX, crossing should be fairly easy at any Xing. point..

Do your best to not draw attention to yourself, no speeding,, loud pipes,, wheeles,, agressive behavior and you will most likely have a great trip...

Sorry, this may be more information than you wanted...
Old 02-24-2009, 02:04 AM   #8
vaughan
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
where do you go in phoenix to do your paper work
vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 10:38 AM   #9
ravenranger
rave

Oddometer: 1,516
Any Sanborne's insurance office can get you squared away insurance wise. You can also get Mexican Auto Insurance through AAA.

Last time I went down to Mexico I was able to do everything online regarding the insurance and just print it out. You only have to deal with the vehicle permit if you're going beyond the 21KM mark. You can call 1-800-4-SONORA for more info regarding that.

Lukeville is the best crossing if you're planning to stay in Sonora and spend your time around Puerto Penasco. Nogales is the crossing if you're planning to go further south to Hermosillo and beyond.

There's more info at MexOnline. Plus you can always stop by the Mexican Consulate in either Phoenix or Tucson.

ravenranger screwed with this post 02-24-2009 at 10:43 AM
ravenranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 02:01 PM   #10
Pedro Navaja
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,518
I use http://www.mexadventure.com/ for Mexican insurance. I get the vehicle permit through the internet. Plenty of us do the same. Ask veterans like Tricepilot, AUSFletch, Lone Rider, etc.

Mike

Pedro Navaja is offline   Reply With Quote