ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-20-2015, 07:01 AM   #1
Brahma OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Tampa, FL
Oddometer: 320
Odyssy Battery Fail....

I put an Odyssy battery in my GS a year ago. I had to mod it to fit, and buy terminal extensions to make it work in the GS. I cover it with a thin, rubber floor mat to keep it from bursting my GS ablaze. When in the garage, I always keep it on a battery tender trickle charger. ALWAYS.

This week I moved and couldn't ride for five days. In that five days, it wasn't hooked up to the charger as everything was packed up.

I tried to start the bike last night, and the almighty, jewel of all batteries, the esteemed Odyssy battery, was dead. FIVE days.

Here is the kicker- I live in south Florida.

The "Odditie" battery, is the worst, most over-priced, over-stated, dangerously modded farkle one can put in a GS.

Give me a drop-in Westco any day of the week- it's JUST a battery.
Brahma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 07:05 AM   #2
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!
 
JimVonBaden's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Alexandria, VA
Oddometer: 52,243
You likely killed it with the wrong trickle charger. I found that the Odyssey works best if you do NOT charge it, especially with an inappropriate charger.

That, or you got a bad one, though with the exception of a batch several years ago, is VERY rare!
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 07:06 AM   #3
rickcj7
Gnarly Adventurer
 
rickcj7's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2010
Location: Hollidaysburg PA
Oddometer: 494
Odyssey is good stuff! I believe power sport batteries have 2 year warranty! Sure something on the bike isn't draining it?
__________________
Husqvarna TE630

WR250R sold
FE450E sold
XT, NX, KLX, KLR, DR all long gone.
rickcj7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 07:09 AM   #4
rickcj7
Gnarly Adventurer
 
rickcj7's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2010
Location: Hollidaysburg PA
Oddometer: 494
(A) Selecting the right charger for your battery
Although chargers using the IUU profile are recommended for use with ODYSSEY® batteries, small, portable automotive chargers can also be used, as long as certain suitability criteria are met. Qualifying these chargers for your ODYSSEY® battery is a simple two-step process.
Step 1 Charger output voltage

Determining the charger output voltage is the most important step in the charger qualification process. If the voltage output from the charger is less than 14.2V or more than 15V for a 12V battery do not use the charger. For 24V battery systems the charger output voltage should be between 28.4V and 30V. If the charger output voltage falls within these voltage limits when the battery approaches a fully charged state, proceed to Step 2; otherwise pick another charger.
Step 2 Charger type — automatic or manual

The two broad types of small, portable chargers available today are classified as either automatic or manual. Automatic chargers can be further classified as those that charge the battery up to a certain voltage and then shut off and those that charge the battery up to a certain voltage and then switch to a lower float (trickle) voltage.
An example of the first type of automatic charger is one that charges a battery up to 14.7V, then immediately shuts off. An example of the second type of automatic charger would bring the battery up to 14.7V then switch to a float (trickle) voltage of 13.6V; it will stay at that level indefinitely. The second type of automatic charger is preferred as the first type of charger is likely to undercharge the battery.
A manual charger typically puts out a single voltage or current level continuously and has to be manually switched off to prevent battery overcharge. Should you choose to use a manual charger with your ODYSSEY® battery, do not exceed charge times suggested in Table III below.
__________________
Husqvarna TE630

WR250R sold
FE450E sold
XT, NX, KLX, KLR, DR all long gone.
rickcj7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 07:14 AM   #5
wrysingfeenix
Dust off those ashes
 
wrysingfeenix's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2003
Location: Desert Southwest
Oddometer: 633
__________________
---'99 BMW R1100GS
---'96 BMW R1100GS Mod Project ???
---'80 Honda CB750 Street Tracker Project
---'09 Vespa GT200 Granturismo
wrysingfeenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 07:53 AM   #6
gundrted
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2014
Location: 5280 feet above sea level
Oddometer: 149
Your not alone. I question the Q&A with their products.

In 2011 I had the almost exact same thing happen in my 09 12RT. The Odyssy was a perfect fit for the RT and they even confirmed my Deltran Battery Tender was the correct charger for when the bike sat for more then a week or two without being used. I know the first issue is not riding the RT for a week plus.

The battery completely died in under 9 months and turned into nothing but a clicker. It wouldn't hold a charge to save its life. Batteries Plus was no help, Ody was no help and I was out a lot of money. In the span of 9 months I bought the Ody and then a BWM battery and then traded the RT for a GS

Overall I was completely disappointed and will never buy their batteries again. My 07 and 09 12GS still have original BMW batteries and they are going strong. I may replace the O7's battery this year just because, but I'm not what I'll use.
gundrted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 07:57 AM   #7
SouthernCruizer
Just Ride!!
 
SouthernCruizer's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Oddometer: 58
Odyssey batteries are total crap. I installed one on my powered parachute...went bad in 2 weeks...replaced with another, went bad. Did this song n dance 4 times (all were charged with the appropriate recommended charger). I will NEVER buy another Odyssey battery. Just my $.02 worth.
__________________
Jay™
Swamps of South Louisiana
2013 Yamaha FJR 1300
2004 Suzuki WeeStrom 650
2007 Kawasaki KLX250S
SouthernCruizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 07:57 AM   #8
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!
 
JimVonBaden's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Alexandria, VA
Oddometer: 52,243
Quote:
Originally Posted by gundrted View Post
Your not alone. I question the Q&A with their products.

In 2011 I had the almost exact same thing happen in my 09 12RT. The Odyssy was a perfect fit for the RT and they even confirmed my Deltran Battery Tender was the correct charger for when the bike sat for more then a week or two without being used. I know the first issue is not riding the RT for a week plus.

The battery completely died in under 9 months and turned into nothing but a clicker. It wouldn't hold a charge to save its life. Batteries Plus was no help, Ody was no help and I was out a lot of money. In the span of 9 months I bought the Ody and then a BWM battery and then traded the RT for a GS

Overall I was completely disappointed and will never buy their batteries again. My 07 and 09 12GS still have original BMW batteries and they are going strong. I may replace the O7's battery this year just because, but I'm not what I'll use.
Whoever told you this is wrong. BUT, you had an Odyssey exactly when they had a bad batch. I know many, including myself, that had used an odyssey for years with no issues. I only charged mine twice, when I left the key on and killed it. I recharged it and all was well.
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 08:08 AM   #9
gundrted
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2014
Location: 5280 feet above sea level
Oddometer: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
Whoever told you this is wrong. BUT, you had an Odyssey exactly when they had a bad batch. I know many, including myself, that had used an odyssey for years with no issues. I only charged mine twice, when I left the key on and killed it. I recharged it and all was well.
That makes me feel a little better, but still I remember the sting in my pocket book all to well.

What is an example of a quality 2 stage automatic charger outlined in the above post?
gundrted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 08:34 AM   #10
Smoke Eater 3
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2012
Location: Lincolnville,Maine
Oddometer: 686
I've had bad experiences with them too.
__________________
'14 GSW
'02 Aprilia Mille
'66 R50/2 with hack
Smoke Eater 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 08:35 AM   #11
Mugwest
.
 
Mugwest's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: 3rd Ring of Buzztopia
Oddometer: 6,214
Mine tend to last 8+ years, crank under any conditions, and are drama-free.

What am i doing wrong?
__________________
.
Mugwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 08:41 AM   #12
slowinfastout
Just Ridin' By....
 
slowinfastout's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: Fairfax Station VA
Oddometer: 1,803
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
You likely killed it with the wrong trickle charger. I found that the Odyssey works best if you do NOT charge it, especially with an inappropriate charger.
+1. Wrong charger kills them every time. I never put one on my Odyssey units or my Shorai batteries and they have yet to fail.
slowinfastout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 08:42 AM   #13
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!
 
JimVonBaden's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Alexandria, VA
Oddometer: 52,243
Quote:
Originally Posted by gundrted View Post
That makes me feel a little better, but still I remember the sting in my pocket book all to well.

What is an example of a quality 2 stage automatic charger outlined in the above post?
This might help make sense of it: http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/...er-junior.html
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 08:52 AM   #14
100RT
Studly Adventurer
 
100RT's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Location: N. E. OHIO
Oddometer: 700
I have two PC-680's in my bikes and also use an Odyssey charger to maintain them. I also have a Battery Tender that is never used with the Odyssey batteries.
My 1150RT likes to drain the battery over time which I have read is due to the Signal Minder installed on it.
100RT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 09:07 AM   #15
def
Ginger th wonder dog
 
def's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2004
Location: The woods and mountains of Alabama
Oddometer: 9,982
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brahma View Post
I put an Odyssy battery in my GS a year ago. I had to mod it to fit, and buy terminal extensions to make it work in the GS. I cover it with a thin, rubber floor mat to keep it from bursting my GS ablaze. When in the garage, I always keep it on a battery tender trickle charger. ALWAYS.

This week I moved and couldn't ride for five days. In that five days, it wasn't hooked up to the charger as everything was packed up.

I tried to start the bike last night, and the almighty, jewel of all batteries, the esteemed Odyssy battery, was dead. FIVE days.

Here is the kicker- I live in south Florida.

The "Odditie" battery, is the worst, most over-priced, over-stated, dangerously modded farkle one can put in a GS.

Give me a drop-in Westco any day of the week- it's JUST a battery.
My Odyssey 680 has never failed to start my GS regardless of how long the bike sat unused (about 7 weeks). Every now and then, I'll attach a smart charger not on the list of approved chargers, usually during the cold weather (like currently) when the charger would just sit unused.

I maintain FLA deep cycle, sealed and AGM batteries in my diesel motorhome, automobile, GS and riding mower using one $40.00 smart battery charger. I recently replaced the 11 year old motorhome batteries, all 6 of them. All others are at least 6 years old and still perform well.

You're doing something wrong or you got a bad one. The Odyssey is a good product with a good reputation.
__________________
The woods is closing in on me...I need a D6.
def is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 02:54 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2015