Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-11-2014, 03:53 PM   #1
ArmyStrong OP
6F

Oddometer: 3
EXT Warranty and/or Maint Plan -Tomorrow HELP?

Greetings fellow riders,

I pick up my '14 GSA tomorrow, excited its been 2 years since I sold my 09 GS1200 after retiring from the Army and settling down in huntsville Alabama.

Am considering this but want your valued/experienced opinions:

Facts: I plan on keeping this bike for a long time, likely will only avg about 5-7K miles a year. Both of these plans are transferable if I ever were to sell. I do not do my own maintenance, and do not plan to ever. I can afford it.

EXT Warrranty: Bumper to bumper except normal wear and tear (Tires as an example), $922 for 4 years added on to the BMW 3 yr, so a total of 7 years. Accepted nationwide.

Maintenence plan: Every BMW recommended service for 3 years for $2200. Accepted at any BMW dealer. Pricing they say comes from current labor rates/price of each service for 3 years minus 40%.

I may be able to bundle and get another 10% off.

Tomororows the day, sorry to ask so late would appreciate your input.

Dan
ArmyStrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 04:07 PM   #2
trc.rhubarb
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,727
At 7k miles per year, the maintenance plan wont pay for itself.
My bike has been nearly flawless until about 60k miles.
Since then I've needed a final drive, driveshaft, swingarm and brake master cylinder. All total about $6k.
I needed new shocks but they aren't covered under most warranties.

It's hard to say if you will put enough wear on the bike to be in the expensive zone before the warranty runs out...

I'd probably pass on both and roll the dice at that mileage. At 15k+/year for sure go with the warranty.
1975 R90/6
Follow me here
trc.rhubarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 04:41 PM   #3
ArmyStrong OP
6F

Oddometer: 3
Hey thanks for replying so fast!!!

Dan
ArmyStrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 04:55 PM   #4
smitty141
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 507
The extended warranty sounds about a average. I went with a extended warranty on my 14 GSA, it to total 7 years unlimited milage. For about the same money. But I am a big mile guy. 30,000+ a year. Plus is a great selling tool when it transferable. Service sounds like a bad deal to me..

Hope that helps. Congrats on the new bike.

Smitty
2005 KTM 525 EXC...1999 YZ250
smitty141 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 08:25 PM   #5
def
I have plenty to say

Oddometer: 7,447
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyStrong View Post
Greetings fellow riders,

I pick up my '14 GSA tomorrow, excited its been 2 years since I sold my 09 GS1200 after retiring from the Army and settling down in huntsville Alabama.

Am considering this but want your valued/experienced opinions:

Facts: I plan on keeping this bike for a long time, likely will only avg about 5-7K miles a year. Both of these plans are transferable if I ever were to sell. I do not do my own maintenance, and do not plan to ever. I can afford it.

EXT Warrranty: Bumper to bumper except normal wear and tear (Tires as an example), $922 for 4 years added on to the BMW 3 yr, so a total of 7 years. Accepted nationwide.

Maintenence plan: Every BMW recommended service for 3 years for $2200. Accepted at any BMW dealer. Pricing they say comes from current labor rates/price of each service for 3 years minus 40%.

I may be able to bundle and get another 10% off.

Tomororows the day, sorry to ask so late would appreciate your input.

Dan
Hey Army, Navy here....it is a shame that you will never put a wrench to your bike...especially if you plan a long-term relationship...even an easy service like an oil change or a new set of spark plugs puts you in touch with your machine and gives you some added pleasure and knowledge about how it works.

I'll bet that you had an intimate relationship with your weapon while you were a soldier...a motorcycle, while not a weapon, can be similar.

Given the nature of your riding and if you remain steadfast in your wrench-free ownership, I would probably go with both. It seems like you want a security blanket under you....given the technology of BMW motorcycles today, I don't blame you.

Thank you for keeping us safe and free.

def
def is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 06:21 AM   #6
JetSpeed
Naviator

Oddometer: 1,723
When I bought my 2013 GSW I asked about an extended warranty and was told to hold off until just before the factory warranty expired to make the purchase, the finance gal said that the extended warranty they use is 4 or 5 years (?) but that the clock starts ticking the day you buy it, not the day the factory one expires.
As I recall I was quoted about $1k too.
I never heard of the maintenance plan on motorcycles but I like turning a wrench, I avoid the dealer as much as possible since you have to coordinate the drop-off and be without the bike for a day or more, although $2200 for 3 years seems reasonable if you were putting some miles on her, in your case it would be cheaper to just pay out of pocket for the three service's that you'll require in the 15-21K miles that you're going to put on the bike over that period.

Good Judgment Comes From Experience, Experience Comes From Bad Judgment.
JetSpeed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 11:30 AM   #7
SPX
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetSpeed View Post
When I bought my 2013 GSW I asked about an extended warranty and was told to hold off until just before the factory warranty expired to make the purchase, the finance gal said that the extended warranty they use is 4 or 5 years (?) but that the clock starts ticking the day you buy it, not the day the factory one expires.
As I recall I was quoted about $1k too.
I never heard of the maintenance plan on motorcycles but I like turning a wrench, I avoid the dealer as much as possible since you have to coordinate the drop-off and be without the bike for a day or more, although $2200 for 3 years seems reasonable if you were putting some miles on her, in your case it would be cheaper to just pay out of pocket for the three service's that you'll require in the 15-21K miles that you're going to put on the bike over that period.
What JetSpeed has said above mirrors my thoughts, especially the part about the extended warranty. There is no need to buy the extension at the time of motorcycle purchase. You can buy it at any time until the factory warranty expires, and that is just what I would do. I'd say it's a bad idea to buy the extended warranty at the time of a new, or almost new motorcycle purchase. You receive no discount by doing so, and expose yourself to financial risk .. what if you don't like the bike and sell it? Granted, it adds value to the selling price, but maybe not the entire amount that you paid. Maybe the bike will be stolen, or crashed, in which case your money is wasted, as insurance won't reimburse you for the cost. This last point is especially so if you're financing, as it will just widen your gap if the bike is written off early in life.
SPX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 01:16 PM   #8
Anorak
Woolf Barnato

Oddometer: 31,726
The price of the extended warranty is usually negotiable. If it's aftermarket, not provided by BMW research it. Some are not a good deal. They don't cover much.

"they live off the carrion of our mutual distrust and bribe us with symbols that equate hatred with manhood."

"I mean at the end of the day, I was addicted to Starting Fluid for Christ's sake!"

"Yeah, that guy sure is terrible at touching moms"
Anorak is offline   Reply With Quote