User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-15-2015, 01:54 PM   #1
RAP1100R OP
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Eh? Mystery Switch

Thought I would pose a quick question to the collective wisdom of the group. I recently purchased a 1999 R1100R and somewhere in it's past, someone has installed a switch in the circuit for the neutral switch. When it is on the neutral light appears to function correctly with an occasional delay, and when the switch is switched off, the neutral light stays on 100% of the time. I fail to see any benefit or purpose to this, so I wanted to check to see if maybe I was missing something that someone else might be aware of.

Thanks,

Richard
RAP1100R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 02:14 PM   #2
Beecher Snipes
Fool

Oddometer: 452
Is this some way to fool the bike about the side stand being down, bad clutch switch or some other fail to start system thing?
Old 06-15-2015, 02:25 PM   #3
Jim Moore
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 14,570
That delay you see is the neutral switch going bad. When it craps out you won't be able to start the bike in neutral (with the clutch out). Strangely, the bike only knows it's in neutral for starting purposes when the green light is on. Having a "0" in the RID is not good enough. The PO tricked the system somehow to get the bike to start with a bad neutral switch.

As a note, you should be able to star the bike in gear or in neutral as long as the clutch is pulled in. If you can't start the bike in gear with the clutch in, you have a bad clutch switch.

With a bad clutch switch and a bad neutral switch (a dual failure is not unheard of) you won't be able to start the bike. Well, that's not quite true. You can always start the bike by pulling the starter relay and jumping hole 2 to hole six with a thin piece of wire while the key is on.

Pay the lady, PirateJohn, you thieving piece of garbage.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
Jim Moore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 02:33 PM   #4
mike54
You don't get me

Oddometer: 13,370
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Moore View Post
That delay you see is the neutral switch going bad. When it craps out you won't be able to start the bike in neutral (with the clutch out). Strangely, the bike only knows it's in neutral for starting purposes when the green light is on. Having a "0" in the RID is not good enough. The PO tricked the system somehow to get the bike to start with a bad neutral switch.

As a note, you should be able to star the bike in gear or in neutral as long as the clutch is pulled in. If you can't start the bike in gear with the clutch in, you have a bad clutch switch.

With a bad clutch switch and a bad neutral switch (a dual failure is not unheard of) you won't be able to start the bike. Well, that's not quite true. You can always start the bike by pulling the starter relay and jumping hole 2 to hole six with a thin piece of wire while the key is on.
Sounds right to me. Just for fun take a look at what it takes to replace that neutral switch.

Do stand up guys lie?
mike54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 02:36 PM   #5
RAP1100R OP
n00b

Thanks for the replies and the info. I will check into the neutral switch in more depth. Is a bad neutral switch repairable, or only replaceable?

Thanks,

Richard
Old 06-15-2015, 02:40 PM   #6
mike54
You don't get me

Oddometer: 13,370
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAP1100R View Post
Thanks for the replies and the info. I will check into the neutral switch in more depth. Is a bad neutral switch repairable, or only replaceable?

Thanks,

Richard
You have to pull the trans to replace the neutral switch. That probably explains why the PO put the extra switch in. I doubt you can repair it.

Do stand up guys lie?
mike54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 03:44 PM   #7
Beecher Snipes
Fool

Oddometer: 452
Thanks Jim for the good information. These details stop people in their tracks.
Old 06-16-2015, 07:32 AM   #8
dfwscotty
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,417
My '99 GS started that problem recently. Unless the neutral light is on the bike will not start. And just because it is in neutral doesn't mean the light always comes on. You have to play a little with the shifter to hit the sweet spot. That's one reason I don't travel on it that much, just mostly keep my rides local. I haven't messed with the switch since it is buried in the tranny.

Please share any information that you come across.

1999 BMW 1100GS
2012 Kawasaki Concours
dfwscotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 08:41 AM   #9
RAP1100R OP
n00b

Thanks for the replies. Is it common to have the clutch switch go out and ultimately compound the issue? Also, how involved is changing the clutch switch, does it also require pulling the transmission? I intend to keep this bike for a very long time because I love the ride and the versatility of the bike. I have also wanted to settle on a bike with the Boxer motor as my "forever" bike ever since owning the '07 GSA. I believe this bike is the keeper I've been looking for, so I'd like to get things fixed correctly at some point and if I were to develope issues with the clutch switch I don't want to take a chance on being stranded if I can help it.

Thanks,

Richard
Old 06-16-2015, 11:58 AM   #10
Jim Moore
Beastly Adventurer

The clutch switch is easy. It's the one at the handlebar. In fact if it ever goes bad the simplest fix is to cut the wires going to the switch (two yellow wires in a black sheath) and wire them together. Presto, your bike thinks the clutch is in. Vrooom! Off you go.

As a note, that's a great bike you have there. It's even cooler once you figure out all the little secrets. This is a great place for knowledge. So is bmwsporttouring.com.

Old 06-16-2015, 11:59 AM   #11
Jim Moore
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfwscotty View Post
My '99 GS started that problem recently. Unless the neutral light is on the bike will not start. And just because it is in neutral doesn't mean the light always comes on. You have to play a little with the shifter to hit the sweet spot. That's one reason I don't travel on it that much, just mostly keep my rides local. I haven't messed with the switch since it is buried in the tranny.

Please share any information that you come across.
It should be able to start with the clutch in, neutral light or not. If it won't, you have a bad clutch switch. See the above post. Snip, snip. Twist, twist. Vroom!

Old 06-16-2015, 06:47 PM   #12
dfwscotty
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,417
Thanks for the help Jim!

1999 BMW 1100GS
2012 Kawasaki Concours
dfwscotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 09:10 AM   #13
RAP1100R OP
n00b

Thumb

Thanks for the help and thoughts. I appreciate the nice words about the bike. I will make sure to familiarize myself with the appropriate access for the "snip snip, twist twist" repair to be sure I won't get stranded. I will also have a look into the details of changing out the neutal switch.

Thanks Jim.

Richard
Old 06-17-2015, 10:49 AM   #14
cjack
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 860
This sounds like the police use modification so that the bike can continue to idle while the side stand is out. I believe it was done so that all the lights and radio would continue to operate with the alternator supplying the power.
RA & MOA #224
cjack is offline   Reply With Quote