Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-25-2006, 06:16 AM   #871
rick danger
Off the wagon

Oddometer: 4,965
Lookin' good Whitey!! I like the rondel in the frame hole.

rick danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 12:20 PM   #872
BimBeem123
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
Here's where I went for summer vacation... 66+deg N

BimBeem123 screwed with this post 07-25-2006 at 12:57 PM Reason: image
BimBeem123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 05:43 PM   #873
kook
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
Thank's Durtrider,
Were you at the Top of the Rockies Rally in Paonia? I think i saw a bike that looked just like yours, with that sticker on FWD side panel.
kook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 02:52 PM   #874
Rainrider
Rainrider

Oddometer: 24
Thumbs down Congrats on new GS1200.. but..

Hey, nice bike, same yellow as I rented in Las Vegas last weekend. But.... got to say, I'd never trade my '03 Adventure for the new bike. I've been jones'n to ride the new bikes since they came out, the RT, too. Was just afraid I'd buy one right away so decided to keep my bike another year. I rented a new RT and a GS (no, not by myself, with my brother) for a ride into the mountains, desert, whatever in Las Vegas last week. Both bikes had less than 2500 miles on them, I think the RS has about 1250, the GS 2300. To say the least, you can keep both of them. The RS went flat (going downhill) (not the tire, the engine)at about 95, right about when I'm shifting my Adventure and hitting 110 in a heartbeat. The new GS would walk away from the RT, dealer said computer must need remapping? I was trying to introduce my Harley riding brother to this sophisticated ride, he wasn't impressed. I've never liked the look of the plastic on the GS1200 or the RT, much prefer the steel tank on my 1150 Adventure. But where's the big power difference? I can wheelie my 1150 with relative ease, the 1200 didn't seem to want to come up nearly as easy, maybe just takes getting used to the bike? My brother in law's Triumph Rocket III wheelied easier (he wasn't too happy about that though, as the front end slams down pretty hard, unlike the GS's). At 90 mph, I didn't see a lot of "zip" when I nailed the throttle on the new GS (could the 118 degree weather have anything to do with it?). I routinely cruise my Adventure between 92 and 100 and have no hesitation. Maybe the new bike needs a pipe on it? ( I have the Staintune on mine) As far as smoothness, I didn't see much of a difference at all, maybe just slightly. I switched out my knobbies for the same type of tire (michelins) on the the GS but will be going back to the knobbies 'cause the look is worth a little bit of vibration at high speed. Anyway, once again, congrats on your new bikes, but I'm glad I didn't take the 8 or 9 thousand the dealer offered me for my bike in trade. I think I've got the last of the "real thing!".
Rainrider
'03 GS1150 Adventure
Rainrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 04:22 PM   #875
madmanxwater
Just Ride It!

Oddometer: 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainrider
Hey, nice bike, same yellow as I rented in Las Vegas last weekend. But.... got to say, I'd never trade my '03 Adventure for the new bike. I've been jones'n to ride the new bikes since they came out, the RT, too. Was just afraid I'd buy one right away so decided to keep my bike another year. I rented a new RT and a GS (no, not by myself, with my brother) for a ride into the mountains, desert, whatever in Las Vegas last week. Both bikes had less than 2500 miles on them, I think the RS has about 1250, the GS 2300. To say the least, you can keep both of them. The RS went flat (going downhill) (not the tire, the engine)at about 95, right about when I'm shifting my Adventure and hitting 110 in a heartbeat. The new GS would walk away from the RT, dealer said computer must need remapping? I was trying to introduce my Harley riding brother to this sophisticated ride, he wasn't impressed. I've never liked the look of the plastic on the GS1200 or the RT, much prefer the steel tank on my 1150 Adventure. But where's the big power difference? I can wheelie my 1150 with relative ease, the 1200 didn't seem to want to come up nearly as easy, maybe just takes getting used to the bike? My brother in law's Triumph Rocket III wheelied easier (he wasn't too happy about that though, as the front end slams down pretty hard, unlike the GS's). At 90 mph, I didn't see a lot of "zip" when I nailed the throttle on the new GS (could the 118 degree weather have anything to do with it?). I routinely cruise my Adventure between 92 and 100 and have no hesitation. Maybe the new bike needs a pipe on it? ( I have the Staintune on mine) As far as smoothness, I didn't see much of a difference at all, maybe just slightly. I switched out my knobbies for the same type of tire (michelins) on the the GS but will be going back to the knobbies 'cause the look is worth a little bit of vibration at high speed. Anyway, once again, congrats on your new bikes, but I'm glad I didn't take the 8 or 9 thousand the dealer offered me for my bike in trade. I think I've got the last of the "real thing!".
Rainrider
'03 GS1150 Adventure
Thanks for your opinion. I just bought an 06 R1200GS a couple of months ago and was a little concerned about some of the same things that you mentioned before I purchased. I'd ridden a few 1150GSs before and liked the "intustrial look" and "tank like" presence of the bikes. However, every review I've read about the new 12GS has given overwhelming praise for the bike. The increase in power, the light weight and better feel at speed and on and on. I have to say that after a few months and 9000km in the saddle, that I'm not dissapointed in any way. Don't get me wrong, I still love the looks of the older GSs but feel the same way about the new 12GS, and understand the need to reduce weight and improve materials. As you know, pipes can make a big difference in performance, as well as how a bike is setup and maintained. My 12GS pulls smoothly higher than I care to go, at the speeds you've mentioned and it's stock. The gearing is also different on the 12GS compared to your 1150 Adventure, so I'm sure that has a lot to do with both feel and the wheelie concern. Not to go on and on, but I wouldn't put down the 12GS so quickly... I trust BMW and their engineers know what they are doing far better than you or I and the industry seems to agree overall. I've heard people call the R80GS, then the R100GS etc.. the "last real thing", but change happens and you either like it or not. I'm interested to see how I feel about my 12GS in a few years when the next generation GS comes out.

Mike

madmanxwater screwed with this post 07-26-2006 at 04:39 PM
madmanxwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 06:28 PM   #876
frijole
Clickin'

Oddometer: 904
At Jasper NP.

frijole screwed with this post 12-31-2008 at 08:03 PM
frijole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 06:44 AM   #877
durtrider
adventure sow

Oddometer: 668
Quote:
Originally Posted by kook
Thank's Durtrider,
Were you at the Top of the Rockies Rally in Paonia? I think i saw a bike that looked just like yours, with that sticker on FWD side panel.
Naw, that wasn't me. I gaurantee if I would have seen your bike I would have been over there to look at it. It was probably some "rick danger wanna" be you saw. There are a few of them phoneys like that out there I hear!
(btw, thanks Rich!)
Old 07-28-2006, 08:42 PM   #878
Mike M
Over Here Now...

Oddometer: 1,530
I'm liking this one. Chatfield Reservoir early Sunday morning with the hot air balloons.

Old 07-29-2006, 04:06 AM   #879
runeo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 60
Yes!! 650 Nm!
runeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 04:50 AM   #880
curty
Sum'a bitch

Oddometer: 442
Its a beautiful machine, In my opinion.
Attached Images

2006 BMW GS-Adventure

http://curtisbondsbaker.blogspot.com/

http://curtisbaker.shutterfly.com/ac...ZsmLl4&notag=1
curty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 04:30 AM   #881
Marozas
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Mine beast in Lithuanian forest.
Got it 1 week ago.
Additionaly I've ordered:
heated grips, ABS, fog lamps, luggage frame (now temporaly removed)
Attached Images

Marozas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 09:36 PM   #882
Zeke_Jones
Big Friggin Bumble Bee

Oddometer: 30
Lizard Head, Lynx and Cameron Passes

Trifecta

Old 08-01-2006, 10:37 PM   #883
gwbuild
the cheese stands alone..

Oddometer: 36
The bike and the "boss"

Day 9 after purchase. ODO about 2000 miles. My favorite picture (for personal reasons ) Taken about 35 miles from Moab...

This would be the sign for the really pissed off RED BULL crossing

Day 3 after purchase. California Redwoods. ODO about 800 miles.

gwbuild screwed with this post 08-02-2006 at 10:52 PM
gwbuild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 01:52 AM   #884
kktos
on a bright side of life

Oddometer: 2,345
gwbuild
<<
My favorite picture
>>

don't shoot me but I must say I agree.
shame on me.
kktos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 04:57 AM   #885
Chuck Hatcher
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 301
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwbuild
Day 2 after purchase. California Redwoods. ODO about 800 miles.
You caught a UFO in that last pic. (I know, between the bike and the girl, how did I notice??? )