Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-29-2010, 06:10 AM   #16
Head2Wind
MotorcycleMayhem

Oddometer: 2,459
and to confuse things the EURO headlight wire harness and the USA harness are wired differently (!!duh). I know I am not helping with the primary question, yet.... but if/when fitting HID to a EURO assem AND you decide to use the US harness because you want the EURO harness/lights as a back up for your HID while traveling... you do not want the low beam to switch off when transitioning to high beam. Granted, this has nothing directly to do with the EURO right side light switch, but the way that I got around this was to power my low beam from the "parking" light so it would stay on when the hi beam was energized.

I will have my bike back apart here soon, if I remember to do it and have time I will see if I can write up a diagram
Head2Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 06:39 AM   #17
charlie264
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,008
Can’t talk about the US switch but with the Euro switch you’re going to have problems.

I had to chop and customise a switch inside for it to perform my needs. A euro light switch has off, a continuous live that feed for all positions plus an additional or two closed circuits.

You can use a relay from one closed circuit to operate an open circuit for another and that’s about it without chopping or insulation internal switch contacts.
Old 06-29-2010, 09:03 AM   #18
gweaver
Wandering between rooms

Oddometer: 1,452
Going to take me some time to process all that.
FWIW, I've got the euro headlight and switch.
G

I like my women like I like my instant oatmeal- quick, easy, and covered in facts about dinosaurs.
gweaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 09:16 AM   #19
Head2Wind
MotorcycleMayhem

Oddometer: 2,459
We have 3 positions.

1. OFF:all lights off
2. ON-1:park light, tail/brake (if using EURO HARNESS since the US harness doesn't have a park bulb extension)
3. ON-2:park light, tail/brake and Head light (both US and EURO Harness)

My point previously is: with the h4 bulb that is fitted to the US light fixture, the low beam element gets switched off when the high beam element is selected at the left bar switch (low/high). With Halogen bulbs, their start time is almost zero so its not a problem, but with HID it takes time for the ballast to start the arc and for the bulb to warm/stabilize.

So... for me, I want my low beam light to be ON in position 2 and STAY ON when the low/high selection is changed to HIGH. This way I do not loose any light during transitioning from low to high and back to low. I want position 3 to be main light assembly ON and AUX lighting power ON. I believe that with some mixing and matching of the pinouts that this can be achieved.
Head2Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 09:30 AM   #20
dad2bike
Cranky Old Fart

Oddometer: 3,217
I'm going to scrounge up some M & F Molex pins.
I have the Euro switch.
Seems to me that the present Park/tail output pin (6 I think) can be used to drive that as well as the headlights. A Y wire would do that.

Then use Pin 9 as the output for the Aux lamps.

I'll be doing some tinkering tonight.
This would result in:
Off- All lamps off
1- Headlights, Park, Tails on
2- Headlights, Park, Tails on, Aux lamps on
My2Wheels
690 WIKI
dad2bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 10:07 AM   #21
charlie264
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Head2Wind
We have 3 positions.

1. OFF:all lights off
2. ON-1:park light, tail/brake (if using EURO HARNESS since the US harness doesn't have a park bulb extension)
3. ON-2:park light, tail/brake and Head light (both US and EURO Harness)

My point previously is: with the h4 bulb that is fitted to the US light fixture, the low beam element gets switched off when the high beam element is selected at the left bar switch (low/high). With Halogen bulbs, their start time is almost zero so its not a problem, but with HID it takes time for the ballast to start the arc and for the bulb to warm/stabilize.

So... for me, I want my low beam light to be ON in position 2 and STAY ON when the low/high selection is changed to HIGH. This way I do not loose any light during transitioning from low to high and back to low. I want position 3 to be main light assembly ON and AUX lighting power ON. I believe that with some mixing and matching of the pinouts that this can be achieved.
Not a problem, pos 3 switches relay to to provide separate power to low bulb.

Give me the schematics of the switch, i'll draw ya a diagram.
Old 06-29-2010, 11:52 AM   #22
charlie264
Beastly Adventurer

Name:  Publication1.jpg
Views: 338
Size:  76.4 KB
Old 06-29-2010, 01:06 PM   #23
gweaver
Wandering between rooms

Quote:
Originally Posted by dad2bike
I have the Euro switch.
Seems to me that the present Park/tail output pin (6 I think) can be used to drive that as well as the headlights. A Y wire would do that.

This would result in:
Off- All lamps off
That's exactly what I want. Let me know what you figure out. I'm pretty thick when it comes to electrical, so a parts list + detailed instructions would go a long way to keeping me from shorting something out and catching the bike on fire.

G

I like my women like I like my instant oatmeal- quick, easy, and covered in facts about dinosaurs.
Old 06-29-2010, 06:35 PM   #24
dad2bike
Cranky Old Fart

Testing with clip leads done. It works as I wanted. Working on pics and parts list.
My2Wheels
690 WIKI
Old 06-29-2010, 07:55 PM   #25
dad2bike
Cranky Old Fart

Quote:
Originally Posted by dad2bike
I have the Euro switch.

This would result in:
Off- All lamps off
Works as described.

Materials:
2 Male Molex pins
2 Female Molex pins
3 pieces of wire
2 2" lengths of shrink tubing
A "Y" cable is made from 2 Male Molex pins & 1 Female Molex pin.

Here's the Y cable & the wire to connect to my Aux lamps (blade terminal attached)

The wires/pins are pulled from pin 6 & 9. The Y cable Male pins are inserted into 6 & 9 on the connector. The Female side of the Y cable is connected to the White wire. The Yellow wire is connected via a Female pin to the Aux lamp control wire.

I shrink tubed the 2 loose connections.

Off position nothing is on. (no pic)

Here is Position 1 Low on & park on

Still position 1 High beam on, Low beam on, park on. (I have a Euro light)

Position 2- Aux lamps on as well as everything else.

This proved to me much simpler than expected.
My2Wheels
690 WIKI
Old 06-30-2010, 10:30 AM   #26
gweaver
Wandering between rooms

Sweet!! That looks great. And simple to do, too! I'll look in to getting the molex pins today and get going on the wires. I've got to pull plastics to replace valve cover gaskets, so that will be a good time to change out the pins. Then I'll be ready when I decide to add aux lights.
G

Old 06-30-2010, 10:35 AM   #27
dad2bike
Cranky Old Fart

Quote:
Originally Posted by gweaver
Sweet!! That looks great. And simple to do, too! I'll look in to getting the molex pins today and get going on the wires. I've got to pull plastics to replace valve cover gaskets, so that will be a good time to change out the pins. Then I'll be ready when I decide to add aux lights.
G
Keep that yellow wire insulated until you connect up to it. If it shorts to ground the results would not be good.
My2Wheels
690 WIKI
Old 07-03-2010, 12:23 PM   #28
gweaver
Wandering between rooms

Picked up a couple of Molex pins. Who knew there were so many sizes? Hope I grabbed the right size. .092 I think they are. Going to try to get to it today.
G

Old 07-18-2010, 11:43 PM   #29
gweaver
Wandering between rooms

Finally got to it. Did the wiring swap in conjunction with new valve cover gaskets. A very straight forward mod. Haven't added aux lights yet (probably in Sept/Oct), but it's nice to have one part out of the way.
G

Old 07-19-2010, 10:53 AM   #30
Bob599
Bob599

Oddometer: 284
Thanks sooo much for sharing all of this work with everybody. Doing this next month for sure!

This site rules.