Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Vendors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-07-2014, 08:14 AM   #1
Motopumps OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,647
Going to the New York IMS? Not Us! Read on...

Last year we debuted our Mini Pro inflator at the New York International Motorcycle Show at the Javits Center.

Between the show changing dates from Late January to Mid-December with very little advertising and bad weather, crowds were thin.

We took a few informal polls this year and it seems many folks still don't know that the date has changed. It is December 12-14 this year. That is next weekend as I type this at you.

We made the hard decision to NOT attend this year, but we are going to have some really great "We Didn't Go To the NY IMS Show" specials here on ADV. As those of you who have vended in NY might know, the logistics are heroic, everything is unionized and you can't even put up a banner without paid assistance. The book of rules is staggering. You have to pay to move in, move out, event insurance, electricity, internet, booth fees are epic, etc, etc.

So, we are going to avoid those huge costs and pass some great deals along to the ADV community.

Here are a few shots of our humble booth from last year:

Demo tire that we poke holes in and patch with the Dynaplug Tubeless Tire repair system then re-inflate with the MotoPump.

We were not far from the Indian Display

They fired up the streamliner on Thursday night as we were setting up. That was the most amazing motorcycle produced sound I had experienced. Wow...

The new Chieftain was very cool to see and sit on, and has done quite well in the last year.

The view from outside our humble booth

Jason DeSalvo in the Triumph Display.

Star did this very cool Bolt Scrambler

So there are some pretty cool bikes to see. Even if you do go to the NY IMS this year, come back and see us here as we will make it worth your while.

Subscribe to the thread and stop back often as the action will start as we don't drive to NY, don't pay way too much for a hotel, parking, drayage, insurance, a booth, food, electricity, internet, booth babes, badges, setup, tips, etc. etc, etc.

The real action will start on Thursday December 11th. Stay tuned!
03 ZX6R & '14 VFR800F & 89 Honda Hawk GT x2
Motopumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 09:30 AM   #2
moggi1964
Tiger Keeper

Oddometer: 615
Saw you there last year and totally understand your reasons for not returning.

I experienced the same union control when I exhibited at an astronomy event in California and the rules and costs were ridiculous. I was frightened to fart in case they charged to clear the air!

You make a terrific product and the ADV community benefits greatly from it

Triumph Explorer
moggi1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 02:57 PM   #3
trasbeck
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
Well, I'm not going to make the show either, although it's a great way to pass some winter time. I understand there is a Toronto show, not sure if it's the same "franchise" as the IMS shows...

Dropped in at your booth last year and picked up one of your fantastic pumps.

You said "you look like the kind of guy who rides a Tenere"...never could figure out how you knew....lucky guess. Still liking the ECU reflash? Whose did you use?
trasbeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 03:09 PM   #4
Motopumps OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by trasbeck View Post
Well, I'm not going to make the show either, although it's a great way to pass some winter time. I understand there is a Toronto show, not sure if it's the same "franchise" as the IMS shows...

Dropped in at your booth last year and picked up one of your fantastic pumps.

You said "you look like the kind of guy who rides a Tenere"...never could figure out how you knew....lucky guess. Still liking the ECU reflash? Whose did you use?

I had my ECU flashed by AF1 Racing. They do the ECU Unleashed reflash. Best $$ I spend on the Super Ten. Smoother, faster, better throttle response and better cruising MPG to boot. Great thing to do while not riding in the winter.

Rob
Old 12-07-2014, 05:40 PM   #5
TEXenvy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
And people think organized crime doesn't exist in NYC anymore, hahaha. It's just legal now. I am a non union company that works in the metro area and I must deal with it on every job, I feel your pain!! I am still going and am prepared to pay $60 for parking, $12 a hotdog, $5 a soda, good thing I got 30% off my ticket on black friday.
TEXenvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 05:38 AM   #6
Offcamber
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,728
I been wanting to go but its difficult this time of year...not sure why they changed it from Mid January....
Old 12-08-2014, 12:04 PM   #7
decon_bluz
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Understood

I agree with you about the date change, it's a terrible time of year to be visiting NYC for a Motorcycle show. I also had resolved to not attend this year until recently and have a number of riding buddies going now. December in NYC is all about the holiday craziness, not about getting stoked to go riding.

I look forward to your offerings here.
decon_bluz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 12:08 PM   #8
phreakingeek
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 379
subscribed
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
-Hunter S. Thompson
phreakingeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 12:11 PM   #9
Renegade_Azzy
Kamen Rider

Oddometer: 691
That place is a nightmare. I'll take small outdoor shows over conventions any day of the week (and I used to RUN a convention).

Best of luck, and I applaud your openness!
Renegade_Azzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 05:38 PM   #10
Motopumps OP
Beastly Adventurer

Preparations...

So, tonight we would be organizing...

Organizing the products, making sure we have the right amounts of each product staged. How many pink Crampbusters are we going to sell this year? Don't want to run out...

Being an anal retentive van loader, I want it all to fit together like a fine game of Tetris. But, the shape isn't the only factor, I have to have the heavy stuff low and in the front of the cargo space in the van...this part makes Rose crazy...

Cases of MotoPumps up front, Stainless Dynaplugs up there too...

Damn, don't pack everything, what about the orders that are coming in each day!

Gaaaa! This is complicated.

Thank goodness we aren't actually going to go this year....

We make up our show specials, but we also get input from customers.

What do you guys want to see as a show special or a combo deal?
Old 12-09-2014, 07:01 PM   #11
KingOfFleece
SplitWeight(tm)

Oddometer: 765
I don't blame you. We lived on the snowmobile show circuit in another life.
BTW-I have and use your product-it's great kit.
KoF
KingOfFleece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 07:26 PM   #12
Motopumps OP
Beastly Adventurer

Tonight would be packing the van in preparation for departure. With the foot of snow we just got, that would be even more fun!

So, to continue the theme -- we won't be packing the van tonight with all the product we would hope to sell on Friday, Saturday and Sunday. We won't be taking Bodhi and Charley to the kennel.

See how pleased they look?

We won't be getting up extra early and driving for 5 hours, then waiting in line to unload for another 5 hours (like we did last year). We won't be schlepping to an over-priced hotel and collapsing into bed at midnight after setting up the booth...

Man, I think this sale is getting better and better for all of you with each word I type!

Prepare yourselves for some killer deals! Stay tuned-

Rob
Old 12-10-2014, 09:03 PM   #13
B10Dave
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
Trasbeck; Toronto show is run by one individual and his company. Not affiliated with anyone else. Good show; free parking; I think $17 to $20 entrance. Google Toronto Bike Show. Held on Jan 2/3/4. Opens at noon on the Friday. Food etc although not cheap is loads less than in N.Y. You can download a coupon to get $3 off entrance but I think it's only good for Friday...Dave

2007 F650GS 1978 KZ400C1 1972 XL250
B10Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 04:58 AM   #14
Motopumps OP
Beastly Adventurer

Scene outside the back of the house as we don't pile into the van to drive (slowly) to NYC at 5:30 this morning:

Stand by for more updates on what we will not be doing throughout the day!
Old 12-11-2014, 05:27 AM   #15
pjm204
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,985
I'm in!
Past bikes: XT225, TTR125, '04 CRF50 '74 DT125,'70 TS250,'85 v45, '89 zx600c, '78 GS400x, '99 GS500E, '01 GS500E '05 Z750s, '77 GS400e, '82 GS1100ez, '97 GSX600, '07 VFR800, '03 KLR650, '03 FJR1300, '06 DL1000, '00 KLR650, '99 WR360, '08 DL650, '05 DR650, '08 EX650r, '96 CR500, '82 GS450T, '06 Ural
pjm204 is offline   Reply With Quote