Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-22-2013, 08:55 PM   #1
Lovin' it Strom OP
Now low fat!

Oddometer: 2,824
Chromebooks

Anyone using one of these? Impressions?

I am considering one, but the big question is, would I be able to process a video on one of these machines or best stick to the Windows? It's time to upgrade my laptop and I am trying desperately to avoid Win 8.
Old 04-23-2013, 07:49 AM   #2
gweaver
Wandering between rooms

Oddometer: 1,578
I haven't used one yet, but my school just bought 25 for students to use. My understanding of them is if you can do it on the web, you can do it on a Chromebook. If you have to install software, you'll need a regular laptop. I know there are some websites that allow you to convert video from one format to another, but the options are limited in the formats available, usually the more common ones- avi, mpeg, wmv, etc., and they often limit the size of the file. There are some pay sites that will let you convert as much video as you like if you join.
If you need to edit video (splice clips, add voice-overs, etc), I'm pretty sure you'll need a laptop, I'm pretty sure there aren't any websites that will let you do that on-line.
I know it's a hassle, but you could always buy a new laptop and load 7 on it.
G

I like my women like I like my instant oatmeal- quick, easy, and covered in facts about dinosaurs.
gweaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:02 AM   #3
janeuner
Get Some

Oddometer: 1,413
Chromebook has apps. Not like Windows, but there it is.
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/category/home

Note that you can accomplish a lot with a Nexus 7 or a Nexus 10 when paired to a Bluetooth keyboard. Many more applications are available for the Nexus devices than the Chromebook atm, and many of those apps are of excellent quality:
https://play.google.com/store

But in all seriousness, there is nothing wrong with Windows 8. Folk just don't like change. I've had the opportunity to use a ~$600 ASUS Ultrabook (15" touchscreen) loaded with Win8, and it is a pretty fantastic interface. Try it!

They are all good products. Microcenter is probably the best place to experiment with each under the same roof. Good luck!
Old 04-23-2013, 08:20 AM   #4
blackfriar
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 214
I'm glad to see this thread. I still have a Windows Vista laptop, so I am due for an upgrade. I have only a cell phone and an Ipod Touch, no smartphone, and am looking at the Chromebook as something I can take on the road as well as use at home. It's not a substitute for a smartphone, but it would be easier to travel with than a laptop. I have no experience with Win 8 and read somewhere recently that it has generally not been well-received. My local school district is going heavy into Chromebooks next year too.
2009 KLR 650 sold
2011 BMW R1200GSA
blackfriar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 10:12 AM   #5
tslewisz
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,377
Win8 makes sense on touch screen devices. It's dumb, otherwise. The first thing I do on my Win8 Toshiba laptop is enter desktop mode.
tslewisz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 12:56 PM   #6
wxwax
Excited Member

Oddometer: 78,516
I just can't see buying a "computer" which relies on a constant connection to the internet in order to function.

It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this.
-- Bertrand Russell

To make an apple pie from scratch,
you must first invent the universe.
-- Carl Sagan
wxwax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 01:01 PM   #7
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 102,111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovin' it Strom View Post
Anyone using one of these? Impressions?

I am considering one, but the big question is, would I be able to process a video on one of these machines or best stick to the Windows? It's time to upgrade my laptop and I am trying desperately to avoid Win 8.
Classicshell add-on makes windows 8 perfectly familiar.

windigo
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 01:57 PM   #8
papalobster
With Gusto!

Oddometer: 13,420
I just bought one of these last week linky But I only payed $499 from Amazon.

It has Win 8, and it works fine. Not sure what all teh fuss is about.

That being said, My sons high school issued each and every student a Chromebook instead of text books this year. His takes the abuse of a standard teen and keeps on apping.

That being said, it will never replace a decent laptop for any sort of processing. In functionality it's nothing more than a tablet with a keyboard.
papalobster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 04:47 PM   #9
MillCreek
ADV Risk Manager

Oddometer: 1,957
I have one of the $ 200 Acer Chromebooks. I primarily use it for web, email, Netflix and the like. I use one of my other laptops or desktop for serious work. I am not sure how much video work you can do; the specifications for the typical Chromebook are somewhat anemic.
2012 Suzuki DL650A as the current bike
Whole bunch of bikes in the past
MillCreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 05:31 PM   #10
WestTXDR
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 151
I'm a small town city manager and I bought them for my council and me to go paperless in our council meetings. We have gone full blown Google Apps and everything we do is in the cloud, so it's perfect for us. We bought the wireless only version, but we pass around a wifi hotspot when we travel. They are really easy to travel with. I haven't taken it on the bike yet, but plan to.
2002 BMW R1150RT Silver
IBA#22317
KE5EXE
WestTXDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 06:51 PM   #11
troidus
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 14,399
Is there a Remote Desktop app for the Chromebook that works with either Windows or OSX?
troidus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 07:00 PM   #12
JasonStern
Winterize Bike? Wat?

Oddometer: 12
I have one of the $249 Samsung Chromebooks.

Pros:
Price
Build quality
Fanless
Great battery life
Lightweight
Compatible with 95%+ of what the average person uses the Internet for
Excellent video playback for hardware accelerated formats up to 720p

Cons:
Useless without an internet connection
Occasionally locks up playing internet videos
Inability to play non-hardware accelerated formats
Video stutter occurs when upscaling decoded video to 1080p displays using the HDMI output
The processor speed is about on par with older netbooks, but ChromeOS is significantly less bloated than Windows, so it doesn't feel as slow as it actually is

Overall, I am happy with it. But I also have a desktop PC which I use when I want to game or do any real work.
JasonStern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 07:56 AM   #13
blackfriar
Gnarly Adventurer

I am going to have a local computer fix-it guy put Windows 7 on my Vista loaded laptop. He will also add some memory and clean it up a bit for a reasonable price. This will allow me to keep it for a few more years for real computing needs and I tunes. Once I get this done next week I am going to look into getting a Chromebook for travel and taking to school with me.
2009 KLR 650 sold
2011 BMW R1200GSA
Old 09-25-2013, 08:58 PM   #14
blackfriar
Gnarly Adventurer

The pc guy did a great job on my laptop last spring. He did not put on Win 7, but he added memory and it works better than new. I bought a Chromebook tonight.
2009 KLR 650 sold
2011 BMW R1200GSA
Old 09-25-2013, 09:06 PM   #15
a1fa
Riding Nomad™

Oddometer: 13,816
I "traded" my big bulky Dell Inspiron with Ivy Bridge, and 16Gb ram for Samsung Chromebook.... I am an IT guy, I like to run alternative firmware on things... but.. Chromebook is just a browser to me, and I had no need to "deface" it. Running Stock in beta train..... several plugins are much needed...

AdBlock Plus!
Disconnect.me
Secure Shell
2X/RDP Client
circ

Makes it very portable around the house. Turns on in seconds... does not make a lot of heat whilst in my lap... all good. I did run the developer train, with shell access and Ubuntu in chroot... however, it did not meet my needs, and I decided not to "hack" on it, and instead get a different laptop for my workshop needs.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: