Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-04-2014, 01:11 AM   #1
Andyinhilo OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,573
QAM Tuner question

For the TV gurus out there:

I just got a new TV that does not have a built in QAM tuner. I have basic cable (Time Warner) that has several QAM channels, that my girlfriend absolutely has to watch.

Is there some sort of external QAM Tuner available that will allow access to these channels?
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."J. Cooper
Andyinhilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 01:31 PM   #2
Oldenuftaknowbetter
Adventurer

Oddometer: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyinhilo View Post
For the TV gurus out there:

I just got a new TV that does not have a built in QAM tuner. I have basic cable (Time Warner) that has several QAM channels, that my girlfriend absolutely has to watch.

Is there some sort of external QAM Tuner available that will allow access to these channels?
Yes, it's called a "cable box" and can be rented from your cable company. Even if your set had a QAM tuner it would not tune any scrambled QAM channels, so you really do need to get the box anyway.
Oldenuftaknowbetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 06:30 PM   #3
Andyinhilo OP
Beastly Adventurer

I am not talking about scrambled channels. I think these are referred to as QAM clear channels. We have 4 other tvs in the house that receive these channels with no difficulty.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."J. Cooper
Old 07-05-2014, 01:52 PM   #4
Oldenuftaknowbetter
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyinhilo View Post
I am not talking about scrambled channels. I think these are referred to as QAM clear channels. We have 4 other tvs in the house that receive these channels with no difficulty.
Try a search under "QAM tuner" at Amazon. As long as you're only after clear QAM channels you should find what you need there.

Please excuse my previous post--many cable systems are scrambling all QAM channels, and the few that don't only run local broadcast channels in the clear.
Old 07-06-2014, 12:59 PM   #5
Andyinhilo OP
Beastly Adventurer

BDTD. As it happens I have an RCA "Digital converter" that I think I can use, but I have to get an antenna. I have not been able to get it to see the channels from the cable.
Old 07-06-2014, 07:24 PM   #6
SnowMule
[angry moth noises]

Oddometer: 17,825
yeah, you'll need a "converter box".
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=...+converter+box

I've got an "Insignia" brand one, a couple are on fleabay for $20ish. Does what it needs to, and has "analog pass-through" - goes electrically transparent when you switch it off so regular analog TV channels will still come through to the TV.
Old 07-07-2014, 08:39 AM   #7
Oldenuftaknowbetter
Adventurer

There are two digital tv formats in the US- QAM which is used only by cable companies, and ATSC for over the air broadcast to be received with an antenna.

All tvs built in or imported into the US after March of '07 are required to have ATSC tuners, most, but not all have QAM tuners for digital cable channels.

Those converter boxes that sold for $50ish and for which the govt. issued subsidies won't tune QAM channels, which was what the OP originally inquired about. They will tune ATSC channels from an antenna, down convert HD to SD, and feed it to a set. Since the OP has a new set, it has an ATSC tuner already so if he wants to get his signal over the air rather than from Time Warner he just needs to connect the antenna directly to the set, and forget the converter box--it won't tune digital cable and isn't necessary for over-air antenna reception.

If you haven't tried antenna reception where you are, go to antennaweb.org, punch in your zip code, and the site will recommend the best type of antenna for your area and whic direction to point it. Be sure to actually read the tv's owners manual.
Old 07-07-2014, 10:08 PM   #8
little_twin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 396
This will do what you need, but it's a bit pricey for just a few channels.

http://m.tigerdirect.com/products/5004655

TWC can probably lease you a digital converter for just a few dollars a month.
little_twin is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: