Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 90 votes, 4.96 average. Display Modes
Old 02-23-2009, 05:21 PM   #31
elchulopadre
Hairodynamic

Oddometer: 2,997
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilGenius
Halo never really did much for me. Not a bad game. Plenty of fun, but too shallow.

The orange box looks cool, I'll have to look into it, but what I get will have to be platform based since my old sony is too weak to play STALKER or even BF2 and I have to update the OS on my MAC so I can run bootcamp again before I can even play those.

Bioshock looked really cool, but I want something more nuclear wasteland at the moment. I was so close to buying a used copy of it, until L4D came out.
Orange Box is 20 bucks new for the Xbox 360. Portal has nothing to do with nuclear wastelands, but it's one of the most interesting games, conceptually, that I've ever played.
elchulopadre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 06:03 PM   #32
Oznerol
The Happy Machine

Oddometer: 975
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilGenius
One thing I do want to know about Fallout 3 is are there any mutants in the game. I know there's like mutant people, but I mean something less sentient, more monstery.
There are feral ghouls, which are humanoid but mindless. There are these things called centaurs that look like something out of a nightmare. And a fair number of mutants that started out as various animals -- scorpions, rats, crabs, bears, ants. And these things called deathclaws that will fuck you up pretty good if you aren't ready for them. And there are super-mutants, which are big dumb brutes, but sentient and capable of speech. And various factions of normal humans.

I'm not much of a gamer any more, but Fallout 3 hooked me good last November. I'd just quit my job and had a few weeks off before the new one started up. Eat, sleep (and not much of either of those) and roam the wasteland. I hadn't gotten this into a video game since... Fallouts 1 and 2. 3 is a more depressing game than the first two -- the graphics just make everything feel more 'real', and this time around there's less of the black humor that lightened the mood in the first two. But it's still a great game.
Oznerol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 06:58 PM   #33
Dirty POG
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 111
Fall Out 3 was amazing. You should get it...
Dirty POG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 07:24 PM   #34
Chopperman
I am dead

Oddometer: 27,033
I did Fallout 3 and I am currently on GTAIV. Both are *huge* time-sinks. Fallout has a very immersive world which I really like. Gritty, darkly humorous. You can get a good Mad Max feel from it. Sniping and shotgunning raiders never gets old.

GTAIV has a very "Movie-like" feel to it. Probably the best story telling I have seen yet in a video game. So much so that the "Heh heh lets go to the strip club" elements that were a staple in the previous GTAs seems a bit silly. I want to find out what happens next in the story...but it doesnt feel like you are forced to progress it "on rails" like so many other games.

I'm playing on a PC - I actually went and got a game controller because it works better, the keys were killing my hands while driving. And GTA slays my computer and it is no weak sauce machine. Of course I find out I got the wrong controller - I gather you have to use the XBOX 360 controller to get the target lock in multiplayer. So I am forced to decide if I want to drive with the controller or shoot with the mouse.
Old 02-23-2009, 07:25 PM   #35
dirtypumpkin
"Monster Truck Bike"

Oddometer: 13,970
Ive got a unopened Gears of War 2.
Ill make you a deal on it, or maybe a straight swap for one of yours?

Maybe we should start a game trading thread to save us all a few bucks.
If you wish to travel far and fast, travel light. Take off all your envies,
jealousies, unforgiveness, selfishness, and fears. -- Glenn Clark
dirtypumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 07:28 PM   #36
Chopperman
I am dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oznerol
There are feral ghouls, which are humanoid but mindless. There are these things called centaurs that look like something out of a nightmare. And a fair number of mutants that started out as various animals -- scorpions, rats, crabs, bears, ants. And these things called deathclaws that will fuck you up pretty good if you aren't ready for them. And there are super-mutants, which are big dumb brutes, but sentient and capable of speech. And various factions of normal humans.

I'm not much of a gamer any more, but Fallout 3 hooked me good last November. I'd just quit my job and had a few weeks off before the new one started up. Eat, sleep (and not much of either of those) and roam the wasteland. I hadn't gotten this into a video game since... Fallouts 1 and 2. 3 is a more depressing game than the first two -- the graphics just make everything feel more 'real', and this time around there's less of the black humor that lightened the mood in the first two. But it's still a great game.

And those fucking mutant bears - Yao-gi (geddit?)

I had the sound cranked, late at night - deep into the game and one of those fuckers jumped me. I just about pooed myself.
Old 02-23-2009, 07:28 PM   #37
a1fa
Riding Nomad™

Oddometer: 13,652
Zombie Panic Source addict here.. Everyday I play for at least an hour.. It sucks when you dream about it. I had a lot of Counter-Strike dreams back in the day too..
Old 02-23-2009, 07:30 PM   #38
Chopperman
I am dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by a1fa
Zombie Panic Source addict here.. Everyday I play for at least an hour.. It sucks when you dream about it. I had a lot of Counter-Strike dreams back in the day too..

CS was probably the only shooter I had any skills at. One advantage of working for a gaming division was that it was completely expected to knock off work early on a friday and play games. So we had huge CS games on the corporate network and even IT support for it
Old 02-23-2009, 07:41 PM   #39
Jonnylotto
All out of care

Oddometer: 15,363
F.e.a.r.
Old 02-23-2009, 08:39 PM   #40
Johnny Dakar
Fuckin' Smartass

Oddometer: 13,884
Anything with "Burnout" in the title.

Left 4 Dead. Seriously.
"Just sharing this quiet time is intimate, our tent, our bikes and our faces illuminated by yellow light from the fire. This is why we travel. To experience those rare moments of perfection of solitude of life."
-Simon Thomas
Johnny Dakar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 08:40 PM   #41
EvilGenius OP
1.5 Finger Discount

Oddometer: 20,319
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonnylotto
F.e.a.r.
I forgot about that game, please enlighten me.

"Never bring a Nerf gun to a shovel fight." - My Brother
EvilGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 08:52 PM   #42
Charla
Tamalamian

Oddometer: 26,013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonnylotto
F.e.a.r.
F.E.A.R 2 looks pretty freakin creepy.

http://www.whatisfear.com/
Charla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 09:21 PM   #43
Schlug
JockeyfullofBourbon

Oddometer: 7,327
consoles are for barely-parented 14 year old noobs.

if you have a wad of cash at hand, build yourself a proper gaming rig and run COD WaW at 1680X1050 with all the graphics and textures maxed.

that is all.
-- It's in their hands. Our message is clear. They're seeing our determination.
Schlug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 09:31 PM   #44
rob feature
Domain Ranger

Oddometer: 4,354
I'm the anti-console as well. I dig the portability and all, but never could get used to the feel. I need a keyboard and mouse. Not to mention the superior PC graphics and resolutions (with the right machine). I've owned all the consoles and nothing but a PC gets 'er done.

That said, hi, my name's rob and I'm an addict. "Hi Rob"

My e-drugs of choice? (in order of goodness)

UT99 (best FPS yet)
UT3
BF2
FS9
Crysis
Doom 3
RTC3
Solitaire
Hoyle Card Games

Is there any more coffee left?

rob feature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 09:34 PM   #45
Johnny Dakar
Fuckin' Smartass

Oddometer: 13,884
Then again, there's always good 'ol Rainbow Six Vegas and RSV2. Spent almost a year playing nothing but RSV. Often thought aloud that as long as I had fresh RSV maps to play, I had no reason to put any other game in the machine.
"Just sharing this quiet time is intimate, our tent, our bikes and our faces illuminated by yellow light from the fire. This is why we travel. To experience those rare moments of perfection of solitude of life."
-Simon Thomas
Johnny Dakar is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: