User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 96 votes, 4.96 average. Display Modes
Old 04-11-2013, 01:06 AM   #5926
UnderNewOwnership
Thread Slayer

Oddometer: 3,345
The bad news is, the next XBox will suck even more.
UnderNewOwnership is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 01:56 AM   #5927
Jonnylotto
All out of care

Oddometer: 15,480
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderNewOwnership View Post
The bad news is, the next XBox will suck even more.
and meanwhile, I'll just upgrade the PC, if it even needs it.

Why don't you guys upgrade...

Nevermind.
Old 04-11-2013, 06:11 AM   #5928
WVhillbilly
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,830
I don't have a gaming pc, and my PS3 goes with me when I travel.
Last gaming laptop I looked at weighed 22lbs and was $2300.

Won't be buying or carrying around one of those anytime soon.
WVhillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 07:05 AM   #5929
liquidsmile
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,352
Depending on how much you game, gaming consoles should last awhile.

I get at least 3 years out of every xbox I have ever owned, and I play them a lot.

That is around a hundred bucks a year. Less than 10 dollars a month.

The thing that always goes wrong with mine is it stops reading discs. No amount of cleaning will fix it.

I agree with what you say about the PS3, I had one and it crapped out on me in less than 2 years. I had the same issues with the previous PS2, so I went back to XBOX. I will never go back to Sony, though the Drake, and God of War games are pretty cool.
liquidsmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 07:23 AM   #5930
Squelch
Everyday People

Oddometer: 1,103
I still have the XBox 360 that my wife waited in line for back in November 2005! I also have a newer one that I bought in 2010, because I wanted the HDMI port and the original only had RGB component video out.

I had RROD back in 2007 but Microsoft fixed it for free.

I spent about as much on a new GPU a couple of months ago as I spent on a brand new XBox a couple of years before. That's why I stick with consoles - the one from 2005 still plays games just fine, and the video on my big screen TV is good for me.

When they come out with the XBox 720 or whatever they call it, I will buy it a few months after it comes out. It will last me another 6 or 7 years. In that time I would need to upgrade my PC three or four times just to stay current. So let's see - spend $300 a year upgrading my GPU, RAM, etc., or spend $400 once every five or six years. Yeah, I wonder why we don't upgrade...
Squelch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 10:44 AM   #5931
Jonnylotto
All out of care

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVhillbilly View Post
I don't have a gaming pc, and my PS3 goes with me when I travel.
Last gaming laptop I looked at weighed 22lbs and was $2300.

Won't be buying or carrying around one of those anytime soon.
I bought one of these (R1) to replace my Thinkpad X31.

http://www.dell.com/us/p/alienware-m11x-r3/pd
Old 04-11-2013, 10:56 AM   #5932
Jonnylotto
All out of care

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squelch View Post
I still have the XBox 360 that my wife waited in line for back in November 2005! I also have a newer one that I bought in 2010, because I wanted the HDMI port and the original only had RGB component video out.

I had RROD back in 2007 but Microsoft fixed it for free.

I spent about as much on a new GPU a couple of months ago as I spent on a brand new XBox a couple of years before. That's why I stick with consoles - the one from 2005 still plays games just fine, and the video on my big screen TV is good for me.

When they come out with the XBox 720 or whatever they call it, I will buy it a few months after it comes out. It will last me another 6 or 7 years. In that time I would need to upgrade my PC three or four times just to stay current. So let's see - spend $300 a year upgrading my GPU, RAM, etc., or spend $400 once every five or six years. Yeah, I wonder why we don't upgrade...
Not to keep the debate going, but you don't have to upgrade everytime something new comes out. I still haven't overclocked anything, max'd out RAM or even stressed my system. I chose to upgrade my GPU only to get the highest level of detail to match my play style.

But, just to bring it up again, I don't have to pay $59.99 per title for software
Old 04-11-2013, 11:24 AM   #5933
BHW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,106
I'm on my 2nd XBOX 360 since they launched. Here's why: My original one got the RROD around 3 years in, and Microsoft sent me a box, and I shipped it back to them. Then I went and bought myself an Elite with the 100g HD. A couple of days later, a brand new 360 was shipped back to me, which I sold. They sent me a brand new model, one with the improved chipset....but I never plugged it in, and sold it for a very decent price. My old Elite is still going sttrong, after hundreds and hundreds of hours of games like Fallout 3, Fallout Vegas, Skyrim, etc.
Old 04-11-2013, 11:29 AM   #5934
MN_Smurf
Capt_Confusion

Oddometer: 2,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squelch View Post
In that time I would need to upgrade my PC three or four times just to stay current. So let's see - spend $300 a year upgrading my GPU, RAM, etc., or spend $400 once every five or six years. Yeah, I wonder why we don't upgrade...
Unless you're trying to stay absolutely on the cutting edge of technology, computers don't need to be upgraded anywhere near as often as they used to. I built a new i7 system almost 3 years ago. I've added a new HD, memory and video card upgrade since I built it, to the tune of maybe $400 total. They really aren't $300/year to stay current anymore.
Old 04-11-2013, 12:59 PM   #5935
Off the grid
Chaotic Good

Oddometer: 10,457
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN_Smurf View Post
Unless you're trying to stay absolutely on the cutting edge of technology, computers don't need to be upgraded anywhere near as often as they used to. I built a new i7 system almost 3 years ago. I've added a new HD, memory and video card upgrade since I built it, to the tune of maybe $400 total. They really aren't $300/year to stay current anymore.
My built comp was 1100 4 years ago and was considered midrange then. All I did was add a few more sticks of RAM last year.

Still screams playing the latest games....Skyrim, Fallout3, etc.

I think the console industry wants you to believe that PC gaming is a expensive, revolving proposition.
Off the grid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 01:08 PM   #5936
Jonnylotto
All out of care

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off the grid View Post
My built comp was 1100 4 years ago and was considered midrange then. All I did was add a few more sticks of RAM last year.

Still screams playing the latest games....Skyrim, Fallout3, etc.

I think the console industry wants you to believe that PC gaming is a expensive, revolving proposition.
That's why the margin on the hardware is so small for consoles. They get you on the back end with software and licensing.

Ironic that the console hardware gets better and better while 8 bit and 16 bit gaming enjoys a little bit of revival; the irony being that the consoles can't play their own old titles while the PCs can play anything not requiring a hardware clock and all the old console games, too.
Old 04-11-2013, 01:19 PM   #5937
Jonnylotto
All out of care

Speaking of old titles: Sentinel Worlds 1

This is the game

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sentine...:_Future_Magic

that initiated my first computer upgrade ever.

I bought an EGA graphics card and monitor for my Packard Bell XT Turbo.

16 colors was the schizznit!
Old 04-11-2013, 04:32 PM   #5938
ImaPoser
adventure imposter

Oddometer: 15,689
Speaking of the gaming console vs computer debate, I finally got around to buying the new computer I've been talking about for the last year. And I still have no idea if it's a decent gaming system.
AMD FX 7850 8 core black edition
Radeon HD7850
Gskill 8gb DDR3 RAM
AMD 970 motherboard
And a new montior - a 27" Korean direct IPS 2560x1440 display.

Now to find a game to test with it.

Save 20% when you open your own smugmug account. Just go here...
ImaPoser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 05:40 PM   #5939
Jonnylotto
All out of care

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImaPoser View Post
Speaking of the gaming console vs computer debate, I finally got around to buying the new computer I've been talking about for the last year. And I still have no idea if it's a decent gaming system.
AMD FX 7850 8 core black edition
Radeon HD7850
Gskill 8gb DDR3 RAM
AMD 970 motherboard
And a new montior - a 27" Korean direct IPS 2560x1440 display.

Now to find a game to test with it.
Any game that was already on your list, let the game setup auto detect the settings for you. If it works smoothly tweak them higher until you reach 'fail'.

Or google "gaming benchmarks".
Old 04-11-2013, 07:40 PM   #5940
McNeal
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,714
I've got a question. My wife and I are fed up with our cable bill and have been thinking about pulling the plug. We've got Netflix and I can get the major networks in HD with an antenna. I'm starting to explore XBMC to run on a PC. Now, since I'll be buying a PC to run the software I've thought about building/buying a PC that could also be used as a game machine. Is anyone here doing something similar? Is there something obvious I'm missing that would preclude using a HTPC system as a gaming system? From my early exploration it seems often HTPC's are weak on the video end for the requirements for gaming. Viewed another way I'm guessing there'd be nothing stopping me from using a gaming platform for a HTPC.

I didn't see a thread dedicated to HTPC stuff, but even if there was my question is a bit of a cross over.

Comments, opinions?
McNeal is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: