ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-06-2013, 06:21 AM   #631
Mtnseker
Adventurer

Oddometer: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by LevelingLeo View Post
First time post but I've been watching and learning a lot from you guys about adventure riding in our area. We're you riding Joseph Plains? Did that route a month ago and it was gorgeous country. Spent Saturday riding the Elk City Wagon Road, where my great grandad used to hall freight, and it was perfect temp and no dust with the recent rains.
Hope to hook up with you guys one of these days so I can put faces to names and take in a few rides. Graduated my twins this year from high school so will need some fun to replace all those ball games I'll be missing.
I'll try to post some pics soon but one thing at a time!

We find ourselves traveling through Nezperce quite often in our travels, do please join us. I was raised in Nezperce until our family moved to Lewiston when I was ten. My dad owned the dry goods store on main street. I also have some interesting family history on the camas prairie.
Mtnseker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 01:29 PM   #632
Mr. Vintage
Family Dude

Oddometer: 828
Still keeping an eye on this thread - still hoping to join you all for a ride one of these days.

I have never actually been to Nezperce, but my great-grandfather helped rescue a steam locomotive there a long time ago. Have been meaning to go check it out and retrace the steps.
Old 08-06-2013, 04:13 PM   #633
Idarider
R1200GS

Oddometer: 1,757
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Vintage View Post
Still keeping an eye on this thread - still hoping to join you all for a ride one of these days.

I have never actually been to Nezperce, but my great-grandfather helped rescue a steam locomotive there a long time ago. Have been meaning to go check it out and retrace the steps.
Phyllis and I went to dinner one evening at the Pizza place in Nez Perce, good pizza ( not Fazarri's good).

Welcome to LevelingLeo !

Hey Mr Vintage !
Old 08-06-2013, 07:24 PM   #634
LevelingLeo
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Soon!

Good to here from all of you local riders. Hopefully we'll get some opportunity to swap stories about this part of the country before long. Amazing how many people that have roots to the little town of Nezperce.
I rode a little enduro when I was younger but hadn't been on a bike for 30 years until last year when I decided to get back into it. I forgot just how much fun it is! I've lived in this area virtually my whole life but I've seen more new places in the last year on my bike than I'd seen in the last 20 years. I'm feeling fortunate to live so close to so much beautiful country. Not regretting a bit buying my adventure bike versus a cruiser like some of my friends have. They are missing all the good places!
LevelingLeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 04:39 PM   #635
Idarider
R1200GS

I am contemplating an overnight ride about 250 miles to the South over this weekend, leaving Saturday and coming back Sunday evening, maybe even Monday , probably down through Idaho and back up through eastern Oregon. Very little set in stone at this time. Mostly pavement, leaning towards a motel, not camping.
Anyone interested, PM me?
Old 08-08-2013, 09:35 PM   #636
sorebutt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,343
I'd like to go with you, but I'm doing the Montana 1000 for the next week. I'm learning some new places to ride.
sorebutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 06:31 PM   #637
Idarider
R1200GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorebutt View Post
I'd like to go with you, but I'm doing the Montana 1000 for the next week. I'm learning some new places to ride.
Just saw the montana ride is done, I am looking for something to do this weekend, but I have to keep it to a day ride or something, have to back home each day, maybe I will do a ride to Aquarius and take my mask/ snorkel, swim in the river for a while.
Old 08-27-2013, 01:56 PM   #638
cavscout99
Adventurer

Oddometer: 76
Labor Day weekend

Anyone up for a ride this weekend? I'm looking to leave around noon on Friday and return midafternoon Monday. Route is still up in the air, thinking of heading north, probably camping. Let me know if anyone is interested.
cavscout99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 04:32 PM   #639
Idarider
R1200GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavscout99 View Post
Anyone up for a ride this weekend? I'm looking to leave around noon on Friday and return midafternoon Monday. Route is still up in the air, thinking of heading north, probably camping. Let me know if anyone is interested.
North of the border ? Is the camp going to be close to something like a holiday inn?
Old 08-27-2013, 04:41 PM   #640
Idarider
R1200GS

sorebutt

Jim I hope you are doing a lot better.
I figured I would move your Montana 1000 post over to the Palouse thread in case anyone else was wondering what had happened to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorebutt View Post
That ride was a real experience. The GS is geared way too high for serious off road. It will do 50 mph in 1st gear. I had to go too fast to keep from killing the engine. I did kill it on an earlier wash out. That caused a tip over because I can barely touch ground on the level.

The last wash was a couple hundred yards of rocks and boulders and very steep. I was trying to keep the bike from stalling so I was really bouncing. About 3/4 the way through it bounced so hard I lost controll and went over a couple of 18" rocks. That bucked me off and I landed face first. A rock hit on the release button for the chin guard. The guard open and the next thing to hit was my nose on a rock, which broke it. (my nose, not the rock) Then I flopped to my back and broke some ribs below my left scapula. I always heard that broken ribs really hurt and that is an understatement. The GS had my foot trapped and Dan couldn't lift it off.

Phillip, a fellow inmate from SC (red clay) came along and assisted until I was taken to Stanley. ADVriders are the greatest people.

I'm doing fine now and the pain is not too bad. I should be riding again in a coujple of weeks. I have to drive down this weekend to get my bike because it is still at the guard station.
Old 08-27-2013, 07:00 PM   #641
thetourist
Just passing thru

Oddometer: 3,521
Hell, Man. Haven't you figured out what makes you fall down, yet? Stop that!

Get well. It's going to nag you a long time. Don't push it too early.
thetourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 07:08 PM   #642
glassman64
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 168
Damn Jim,,
Sounds like a wild ride..... rocks arent as forgiving as a lil mud.
Get to healin up... and keep smilin..
glassman64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 09:58 PM   #643
cavscout99
Adventurer

Oddometer: 76
Anybody up for riding some dirt?

Just looking for anyone interested in riding some dirt. I'm in Moscow and have Thur/Fri available after noon and SAT/Sun. I think its suppose to rain this weekend, still might try to get out.

Note: when you have been riding on knobbies for most of the season it's a good idea to air down smoother tires for off road. Came around a corner on my way down to Boise through Hells Canyon and the back end tried to pass the front. Wacked my nose on the windscreen and the blood ran, busted off my pannier rack. Had fun on another 60 miles of dirt then 170 miles on highway getting to Boise with the pannier strapped to the back. Oh, and add in no rear brake due to busting the pedal bracket. I think I scared a Forest Service girl that came by a couple minutes latter with blood everywhere and tissues hanging out of my nose.

cavscout99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 10:12 PM   #644
sorebutt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,343
I hope you look better than the bike. I had a little get off last month and broke my nose and some ribs. That really hurt.

I'm heading out for a bowhunting trip Fri. Then I'm heading to Fiji on a dive trip. I'll be back towards the end of Oct. and will be looking for a ride.
sorebutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 08:24 PM   #645
glassman64
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavscout99 View Post
Just looking for anyone interested in riding some dirt. I'm in Moscow and have Thur/Fri available after noon and SAT/Sun. I think its suppose to rain this weekend, still might try to get out.

Note: when you have been riding on knobbies for most of the season it's a good idea to air down smoother tires for off road. Came around a corner on my way down to Boise through Hells Canyon and the back end tried to pass the front. Wacked my nose on the windscreen and the blood ran, busted off my pannier rack. Had fun on another 60 miles of dirt then 170 miles on highway getting to Boise with the pannier strapped to the back. Oh, and add in no rear brake due to busting the pedal bracket. I think I scared a Forest Service girl that came by a couple minutes latter with blood everywhere and tissues hanging out of my nose.

All I can say is. "Ouch"
glassman64 is offline   Reply With Quote