ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-21-2013, 08:28 AM   #691
thetourist
Just passing thru

Oddometer: 3,764
MtnSeeker...don't be complacent and try to walk today. The Drs really traumatize that knee. jamming tools and levering the knee joint open.

Take the pills on time and stay flat on your back for at least 24 hrs. Then easy does it on day two. Let the initial trauma swelling go down.
Favorite position was flat on the couch with leg on cushions higher than my head.
Watch TV, fall asleep, eat garbage food, sleep, TV, for 24-36 hrs.

I was up and walking on day three on one surgery and day four on the other. I may have rushed it a bit. I went to work and was on my feet for a couple hrs and then lay back down.

It will be stiff for a while. When I started working, the knee would start losing movement from swelling or fluid accumulation. I would go home, leg up for a few hours, then resume. Within two weeks I had most of my movement back.
Almost no pain after the first day.

Good Luck
thetourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 08:54 AM   #692
sorebutt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,562
The cold while steelhead fishing will keep the swelling down. Especially after you land a couple.

I'm glad to hear it fixed the problem. However, you did look rather eccentric with the cane.
sorebutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 09:23 AM   #693
zaptoad
just a guy

Oddometer: 294
All good points!

Stay down, elevate and ice it. Love it up the best you can before you go abusing it too early. If you screw it up too many times, they will refuse to work on it any more, then you're only option will be a metal one. Got mine last year, still have mixed emotions about them. For active people, they are not what they are cracked up to be. Try to keep your OEM's as long as possible, nothing beats your original equipment!

"If I knew where I was, I wouldn't know where I was going!" ODDA
zaptoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 10:36 AM   #694
Mtnseker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
Thank you all for your good advice. I plan on staying on my back for the next three days and taking it easy for three weeks.

Sorebutt. I will probably stay with the distinguished look and keep the cane and thinking about taking up pipe smoking. Maybe a V Neck sweater with the leather elbow pads would look good also.
Mtnseker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 05:23 PM   #695
Idarider
R1200GS

Oddometer: 1,925
Quote:
Originally Posted by sorebutt View Post
Didn't you get your flu shots? I got mine last week. We could put some studs in our tires and go for a ride this weekend.
Turned out I didn't have " the flu" and the wife and I always get the shots so it wasn't whatever they thought was going to go around this year. Probably just stress and lack of sleep for me, feel a lot better now.

I like the idea of a mid day ride out over Lapwai road, Mission creek, over the top to Cottonwood creek, if it isn't going to be too cold. Lunch at Don's in Lapwai. Just putter along with the thermostat turned up

Have to pick up the wife from the airport sometime Saturday, better figure out that first.

Second ortho I talked to said I needed to wait for a new knee until it was doing several things it is not doing right now.
I have a good brace that helps a bunch, wear it sometimes , definitely when riding.
Old 12-27-2013, 02:30 AM   #696
Idarider
R1200GS

Going to be cold for riding this weekend but I may try it for a little while. Probably an alley ride around town.

thrtourist that is a great picture you posted over in http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...43814&page=350

I had forgotten about the butterfly
Old 12-27-2013, 06:31 AM   #697
sorebutt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,562
It is only going to get to 75 here in Arizona today. We are headed to the mountains where we are going to bowhunt javalina next week. I'll probably go for an ATV ride today in the mountains.
sorebutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 11:00 PM   #698
cavscout99
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 106
Time for me to tear down the old KLR and get her ready for another year. Put some hard miles on this past year.
cavscout99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 03:32 AM   #699
Idarider
R1200GS

Quote:
It is only going to get to 75 here in Arizona today. We are headed to the mountains where we are going to bowhunt javalina next week. I'll probably go for an ATV ride today in the mountains.

From all of us, to you
Old 12-28-2013, 12:35 PM   #700
dhally
Hammerhead

Oddometer: 1,978
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idarider View Post

From all of us, to you

:
dhally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 06:24 PM   #701
Mtnseker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
Quote:

82 here in Maui today and the ocean water temp is just right. Hope everyone has a great New Year.
Mtnseker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 11:10 PM   #702
Idarider
R1200GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtnseker View Post
82 here in Maui today and the ocean water temp is just right. Hope everyone has a great New Year.
My finger is tired so I will just wish all of you a happy new year.

Only 3.5 months to the start of turkey season which is also the start of riding in the mountains season. Last year was a bust when it was 20 degrees and snowing where I wanted to go. Global warming I think.
Old 01-01-2014, 08:59 PM   #703
thetourist
Just passing thru

Oddometer: 3,764
Happy New Year all. Just sittin' around watching a "Sherlock" marathon on PBS.

Nap, watch tv, check ADV, eat, nap and repeat.
thetourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 08:09 PM   #704
RestlessRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 216
Happy New Year everyone!!!
RestlessRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 08:08 AM   #705
75monza
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 307
Laugh

I got the little DR out last weekend and rode around for about an hour. When I left the house, it was just to run to the post office to get the mail. But I couldn't help myself, I really wanted to ride so I just kind of wandered around. Looped town, explored the cemetery, took some back rodes. It was freezing cold and I couldn't feel my hands or feet when I got off the bike, but it was a blast. Almost got it stuck because the tires on it are not that aggressive and it was slippery in the muddy areas and it didn't want to go up a hill. I think I will probably have to put new tires on it this year with some better grip. I'm sure that they are the original tires from about 1999 or so.

Anyway, that was my first ride of 2014. Anybody else been out yet?
75monza is offline   Reply With Quote