Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-28-2009, 06:26 AM   #16
rossaduc
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
Caliper bolt torque

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmex
The rotor in the picture is not mounted on an F800GS. A give away is the caliper bolts which are female. The caliper bolts on the F800GS are male. I do not know what bike that is, but it is not an F800GS. I do not think Wunderlich sells rotors for the F800GS.

My F800GS caliper below:

Caliper picture from your reference:

Interesting to see you safety wired those bolts. I have owned alot of bikes over almost 40 years of riding, well mine and wife. A couple years back the rear caliper literally fell off of my 11550 GS A and nearly took me with it. Just recently I pulled fron calipers for a look see and cleaning inspection, tightened everything bcak up and in a week or so had fron end noise, one of the torq bolts had fallen out. Now mind you the stock torque for these bolts as I recall is 40 foot pounds, not much. I have found that at least on the 1150 that if bolt loosenes at all it will rattle in its threaded bore easily and this I am sure leads to bolts falling out. I am not sure why BMW has usch a loose fit on caliper mounting bolt hole threaded bores but they do. I also am not a fan of torq fasteners. I presently use lock washers on all of these fasteners as I get to them. I am also going to convert to standr hex socket head bolts, something I have lots of tools for meaning bits I can put on torque wrench. I think safety wiring these fasteners is a good diea. Or at least loctiting or lockwashering them. I have not had this issue with any other bike, in fact I use antiseize on my 996R sand have had calkipers off a zillion times and do not use a torque wrench. I have never even had one loosen and I do not use any locking agent. Of course the current ti fasteners in use are a nice fit in the threaded bores as well. Rich
rossaduc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 06:31 AM   #17
rossaduc
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
Caliper bolt torque

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmex
The rotor in the picture is not mounted on an F800GS. A give away is the caliper bolts which are female. The caliper bolts on the F800GS are male. I do not know what bike that is, but it is not an F800GS. I do not think Wunderlich sells rotors for the F800GS.

My F800GS caliper below:

Caliper picture from your reference:

Guys the terminolgy is SHCS socket head cap screw, HHCS, hex head cap screw, or torq head cap screw. Not male or female but hex or socket or torq. Clearly someone has replaced the standard fasteners with cap screws drilled for safety wire. You can also do this with a socket style cap screw. Rich
rossaduc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 09:15 AM   #18
bxr140
Flame Bait

Oddometer: 1,040
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motomantra
The rotors are less apt to warp due to heat if they are allowed to float.
+1. They're also less susceptible to incorrect torquing to the hub.

Floating > Fixed
bxr140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 02:32 AM   #19
sfwo79
euroromper

Oddometer: 90
Off-topic but brakes-related

I have not been able to find instructions for temporarily disabling the ABS on the 800GS for dirt riding. Can anyone point me in the right direction? I've already had one little spill thanks to the inability to lock up the rear brakes and I thought there was a way to do this.
Old 09-02-2009, 04:44 AM   #20
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 9,139
Yes, stop the bike. Dont shut her down, just stop the wheels from turning. Hit the ABS button, your ABS light will .....well, light. Whala, it's off. Riding off pavement with ABS will kill you eventually.

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 04:55 AM   #21
sfwo79
euroromper

Oddometer: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by DockingPilot
Yes, stop the bike. Dont shut her down, just stop the wheels from turning. Hit the ABS button, your ABS light will .....well, light. Whala, it's off. Riding off pavement with ABS will kill you eventually.
Thanks - did they leave that out of the manual on purpose or am i totally missing something?
Old 09-02-2009, 07:06 PM   #22
C5!
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfwo79
Thanks - did they leave that out of the manual on purpose or am i totally missing something?
page 49 of the manual
C5! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 07:29 PM   #23
WoodWorks
House Ape

Oddometer: 2,204
On the F800/650GS you don't even have to stop completely before switching off the ABS. Just slow to <5mph (8 kph).

David

I'm tryin' ta think, but nuttin' happens!
--Curly
WoodWorks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 10:27 PM   #24
EnderTheX
Drunken Squirrel

Oddometer: 2,710
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodWorks
On the F800/650GS you don't even have to stop completely before switching off the ABS. Just slow to <5mph (8 kph).

David
That is good to know...

By the way... replacing the rotors?!? wtf, do you guys more money than you know what to do with? lol if it ain't broke don't fix it, I am still trying to sort out the bugs with the other systems!

BTW, I like safety wire... Also, you can drill your own safety wire holes if you can't find bolts but you should be able to find bolts easily, and they are probably cheaper than breaking several ultra tiny drills on the hardened bolt heads.
EnderTheX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 09:21 AM   #25
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Oddometer: 7,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnderTheX
BTW, I like safety wire... Also, you can drill your own safety wire holes if you can't find bolts but you should be able to find bolts easily, and they are probably cheaper than breaking several ultra tiny drills on the hardened bolt heads.
Pre-drilled bolts??!! Where?

I have broken more drill bits (and almost lost more eyes) due to drilling bolts for safety wire than any other stupid thing I do. And there are quite a few . . .
"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
YetiGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 04:44 PM   #26
EnderTheX
Drunken Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by YetiGS

I have broken more drill bits (and almost lost more eyes) due to drilling bolts for safety wire than any other stupid thing I do. And there are quite a few . . .
Oh yeah, of course, I used them a ton when we were building prototype race cars at UTA. We got all our bolts from Aircraft Spruce

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/menus/ha/bolts.html

Doh! They are standard, not sure how to get metric bolts...

These are aircraft frame bolts, someone out there has got to make these in metric, I will ask around...

Anyways, I searched the web for a bit and found these (buy you may not want to shell out for titanium...) They seem to have M8 and M10

http://www.yoyodyneti.com/category.aspx?categoryID=2776
Old 09-03-2009, 04:48 PM   #27
bxr140
Flame Bait

Quote:
Originally Posted by YetiGS
Any major hardware supplier.

Try mcmaster.com. They even have pretty pictures.
Old 09-03-2009, 04:53 PM   #28
bxr140
Flame Bait

Looks like I lied. McMaster doesn't have drilled hex or cap screw in metric sizes...

Web search time...
Old 09-03-2009, 09:17 PM   #29
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Oddometer: 7,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by bxr140
Looks like I lied. McMaster doesn't have drilled hex or cap screw in metric sizes...

Web search time...
See??!! That's what I'm talking about.
"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
YetiGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 10:19 PM   #30
EnderTheX
Drunken Squirrel

LMAO yeah... I was shocked when I discovered they have no metric sizes... I've personally handled and wired many of the standard sizes but did not get involved in ordering them.

Seeing as these are aircraft standard parts, SOMEONE out there has to make metric sizes. You would think the aircraft built anywhere else in the world would have sense to use metric fasteners instead of crappy standard crap (although the airplane was invented in America using standard fasteners).

If you find it before I do, let me know..... And no, I will not pay $20 per titanium bolt....