User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-15-2002, 08:41 PM   #1
Dick Burn OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 80
Klr650 any good?

Im considering buying one of these. I would really like to get a 1995, because i think they still had kickstarts. Anyone know if these buys are reliable? Im looking for some opinions on these bikes, ive always liked them, but no one around me has them.

Dick
Dick Burn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2002, 08:46 PM   #2
fish
Banned

Oddometer: 47,709
Welcome to the asylum, nutcase.

fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2002, 10:28 PM   #3
Mully
Kineticist

Oddometer: 3,754
Re: Klr650 any good?

Quote:
Originally posted by Dick Burn
Im considering buying one of these. I would really like to get a 1995, because i think they still had kickstarts. Anyone know if these buys are reliable? Im looking for some opinions on these bikes, ive always liked them, but no one around me has them.

Dick
Important design change to the cam chain tensioner in 1996: 95 and previous subject to engine destruction if the tensioner spring comes off, which it can without warning.

I don't recall kick starters on any year KLR; maybe you're thinking of KLX650C? That's a different bike and much more dirt-oriented.

KLR is not excellent at anything, but pretty good all-around. You can tour on it if you're not a pansy, you can take it off-road if you're experienced, you can commute on it. Cheap and durable, prolly the best buy in motorcycling today, IMHO.

GSMullins
el lay
Old 06-16-2002, 06:30 PM   #4
Hatley Rocket
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 285
KLR

Have been reading much on them lately, I agree with GSMullins that the after '96 are the ones to get, revision to carbs and counterbalancers made improvement. For $5000, I don't think it is superior at anything but good all arounder. Try reading Motorcycle.com's review and Canadian Bikers. I am considering one in future.
Hatley Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2002, 06:53 PM   #5
Tracker

Oddometer: n/a
I bought one new in 99. Have put 23k on it so far, other than regular matinance and tires, chain and sprokets (OEM lasted 20k) the bike has been very reliable, only had a headlight bulb burn out, and a couple or screws vibrate out on the radiator shrouds.

The bike seems to do every thing well, I've done a 600 mile day road ride on it and many100 to 200 mile knarly logging road rides on it.
It just keeps plugging along in its "Plain Jane" way never complaining. I still "Lust" for other bikes, but can't say anything bad about my KLR.. Except the new Green/silver ones are Fugly!
Old 06-16-2002, 08:24 PM   #6
Squirrel
Squirrely Adventurer

Oddometer: 518
Great bikes. I got two of 'em (Lewis and Clark). Check out the trip I made last summer:

http://www.pbase.com/sdavis/summer_01
Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2002, 10:15 AM   #7
darkthought
pull my trunk

Oddometer: 136
This FAQ is a good place to start:

http://www.bigcee.com/klr650faq.html

Also, the Yahoo group is a good forum, but it has been closed recently due to spamming problems:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/DSN_klr650/?yguid=5572981

The KLR excels at nothing, but can do just about anything. Probably one of the best all-around bikes you can get.

The kickstart was an option for '95 and earlier models, but I've heard that it's difficult to find. Starting in mid-year '96 the clutch basket design changed, which is why the kickstart won't work on later models.

The balancer chain idler lever (also referred to as the "doohickey") did not change for '96 and later models, AFAIK. Jake Jakeman at Sagebrush machine is making 'new and improved' Doohickeys:

http://www.sagebrushmachine.com

It's a great bike, hopefully this will help you decide if it's what you're looking for.

- Brian
'95 KLR 650
darkthought is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2002, 11:03 AM   #8
Dick Burn OP
Adventurer

Thanx for the into guys. I used to own a triumph tiger, best bike i had. It was great fun to ride, but unfortunatly i would consider my triumph unreliable. And i dont want to get stuck somewhere because triumph takes months to get parts to you. Klr650's sound better for adventure bikes.

Ricardo
Old 06-18-2002, 02:37 PM   #9
Hatley Rocket
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 285
KLR two up

For those of you with KLR's, how good are they two up, on the steet mostly with light, light dirtroading? How about trips? With GIVI luggage I think I would have the same capacity as my concours.
Hatley Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2002, 02:50 PM   #10
Dick Burn OP
Adventurer

What is a better bike? The klr650 or the bmw f650? The price tag is very steep on the bmw, and i dont see the point of buying one if the klr650 does the same for much less.

Anyone mod their klr650, as far as engine power is concerned? How much power do these bikes make? RWHP?
Old 06-18-2002, 04:40 PM   #11
Cat0020
El cheapo

Oddometer: 5,273
Question Real Question

I think the real question is:

Do you see yourself riding an BMW or just another Kawasaki?

Given that you plan to stay on pavement 80-90% of time, you are not looking for dirt bike. None of us (probably) really NEED a dirt bike, or a BMW M3 car for that matter... but it sure is nice to drive one.
If it is going to be a hobby toy/commuter/do-everything bike, I'd go with the F650.
If money is a concern, I'd go with the Kawa, then save up for the F650.

Cat
Old 06-18-2002, 06:50 PM   #12
Dick Burn OP
Adventurer

Re: Real Question

Quote:
Originally posted by Cat0020
I think the real question is:

Do you see yourself riding an BMW or just another Kawasaki?

Given that you plan to stay on pavement 80-90% of time, you are not looking for dirt bike. None of us (probably) really NEED a dirt bike, or a BMW M3 car for that matter... but it sure is nice to drive one.
If it is going to be a hobby toy/commuter/do-everything bike, I'd go with the F650.
If money is a concern, I'd go with the Kawa, then save up for the F650.

Cat
Just another Kawasaki? As if BMW is a special make. Im dont really care for any particular brand. I just like motorcycles. Some Harley Davidson guys hate Japanese bikes, and they also hate German bikes. I hope you dont fall into the category of looking down at every other product as if your brand is superior.

Why, in your opinion is the f650 hobby toy/commuter/do everything bike and not the klr650? What is superior on the f650? Is the price tag on the f650 justified? If so, how so? Why should i save up for the f650? Is there something the kLR650 cant do? Other than it never being able to join BMW groups?

I would really like to find out why you think the f650 is superior to the klr650? I dont know that much about it, but for the price of the f650 i expect there is something? I dont want to pay for a bike that costs so much money like the f650, if i could get a klr650 for half as much, and that it can do the same. I heard the KLR650 is reliable, same thing for the f650. I want a good bike that can carry me across the U.S.A. without any glitch as well. I like both of them, i hope you can help me pick the right one for me.
Old 06-18-2002, 07:14 PM   #13
Steverino
Arrogant Horse's Ass #1

Oddometer: 36,548
What Does It Matter?

Buy what ever you want, ride the piss out of it and enjoy it. If the Kawa 650 is what you want, buy it and ride it! Who gives a shit if it is a BMW or not. The only wrong bike is the one sitting in the garage at home collecting dust.

Get the 650 and I'll show you where to flog it and beat it to hell like I did my 650. Pcik it, dust it off, patch it up and do it again! (Actual brand left out for dimplomacy considerations)

Whooooo hooooooo!

Steverino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2002, 08:20 PM   #14
Cat0020
El cheapo

Oddometer: 5,273
Looke here..

I am not saying that you should be biased about brand names, nor am I swaying one brand or the other.
I am only saying, in general, and I repeat, in general, a BMW is considered more upscale than a Kawasaki.. in general.. there are certainly people who think otherwise, but I don't think Kawasaki calling themselves the ultimate driving machine.... maybe because I have no concern about money, I just want to be able to say that I drive the ultimate driving machine.

I agree with K12RSSteve, just ride.. maybe not ride the piss out of it, but ride.

cheers

Cat
Old 06-19-2002, 06:05 PM   #15
Krautbikeman
Failed Anger Mgt #$%@#$%^

Oddometer: 5,471
Talking buy the Beemer!

Spemd the extra $2-3000 so that you can have one of the least-dialed fuel injected bikes on the planet! It seems that quite a few folks complain about (dare I say it?) surging !

But that adds character and your riding buddies will definitely admire you for your reasoned research into such a hallowed brand.

Don't get me wrong, I love my BMW. I ride a 1150 GS and it is simply awesome, IN MY OPINION! For what you could spend on a F650, you could do some pretty trick accessorizing to a KLR and maybe have money left over for a trip to Alaska.

1150GSK1200RSteve and others may chime in here to tell you that 650 does not surge, so allow them to refute what I have only heard. I have no riding time on any F650s other than a 45 min demo ride and I can say that mine did not surge. YMMV.

Good luck with your decision!
What I want is to be able to fulfill my basic obligations to my family, help out those I can, and never fuck anybody for a handful of silver. If I can laugh while doing so, and ride, and explore, I will consider myself blessed beyond what I deserve.

Jinx

Want to ride better? Basic/Experienced street and Dirt Bike classes. www.adventureridertraining.com
Krautbikeman is offline   Reply With Quote