What do you want to know?
Everything!

How much?

Initial quality?

Lasting quality?

Speed?

Handling?

Etc., etc...

More pics and maybe some vids would be nice.

"Never bring a Nerf gun to a shovel fight." - My Brother
EvilGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 08:38 AM   #62
bk brkr baker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,178
How about one of these? Oh, thats right I have the only one.

bk brkr baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 07:49 PM   #63
Dr. Zombo
ADV Brewer

Oddometer: 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilGenius
Everything!
I'll work on more pics, and I'll need to find someone with a video camera to take shots of me toodling up and down the street :)

Now for the specs:
  • Engine -- 124.5 cc / 4 stroke / 4 valve / Air cooled DOHC
  • Maximum Power -- 13bhp @ 10,500 rpm
  • Maximum Torque -- 11Nm @ 7200 rpm
  • Transmission -- Wet multiplate clutch, 6 speed, gearbox, final chain drive
  • Suspension -- Front 41mm hydraulic fork / Rear monoshock with adjustable spring preload
  • Braking -- Front 316mm disc with four-piston caliper / Rear 220mm disc with floating piston caliper
  • Tires -- 110/70-17 Front, 150/60-17 Rear
  • Wheelbase -- 54.7" (1390mm)
  • Seat Height -- 32" (815mm)
  • Length/Width/Height -- 79"/33"/41" (2016mm/838mm/1050mm)
  • Rake/Trail -- 64 degrees/92mm
  • Fuel tank capacity -- 2.91 gallons (inc 1.6ltr reserve)
  • Dry Weight -- 267 lbs.

Now for my impressions and the story of how I acquired this spirited little 125cc Motard (I guess that's what you'd classify it as?). I haven't rode a manual transmission since high school, and while somewhat satisfying my lust/mid-life crisis with first a Honda Ruckus (Christ, $3200 for a 50cc? WTF was I thinking?!), then a Honda Big Ruckus (Christ, $4500 for a 250cc? WTF was I thinking?!) and finding while CVT's are cool, but not...well, satisfying, I decided to eyeball some lower hp bikes for commuting, minor hell raising.
***INSERT NASTY DIVORCE/FINALLY FREE TO PLAY TIME HERE ***
Yay! Now free to ogle women guilt-free, and to ogle bikes too, I was stunned by a scooter site advertising the 125cc MadAss from Sachs. I bit of research, and talking with Moto-Scoot Bill in Milwaukee *almost* had my trigger finger making the deal on one. However, during my internet crawling, I saw this:

Peirspeed X-Road

At first, with the MadAss, I was all like , then when I saw the X-Road, I was all , and the MadAss was now a . I used the link from Peirspeed to Cobra Powersports and searched for a dealer -- thinking "no way in hell is there gonna be one of these within 500 miles of me....".
Cobra wrote me back, and told me that, yes, Performance Motorsports in Holland, MI was a dealer!
FUCK YES! I was on the phone so fast, my fingers were a blur. Then they told me, "well, we don't have one, but we know someone who does..." and after a couple of more calls, I found my Motorcycle Jesus, my Savior, Kurt I talked with him over the course of several weeks, and found out that this particular X-Road did come from Peirspeed, and was the only one they'd released to anyone, as the bikes were still in the process of getting EPA cert'd, etc. Kurt tinkered with it for sometime, when the original motor seized on him. He also found out from Sachs that the CDI had some flat spots in the spark curve, so Peirsports yanked another motor out, sent it to him, and Sachs got him a new CDI. At that point, the bike had around 600 miles on it (Kurt took it to Fl. and raised hell on the beaches with it), then he put the new motor/CDI and a new carb in it. As we talked, the bike had 940 miles total. Since it wasn't brand-new, he offered it to me for $2500.
Took care of the finances, the title/licensing and bingo, two weeks ago tomorrow, I had a 2008 Sachs X-Road 125 in my pickup truck.
--------------------------
Now the review, so far. I'm by no means an experienced rider (one reason for starting out with a 125cc, instead of getting a 600cc + deathtrap), so please take my comments with as many grains of salt as you feel are needed.
This bike is a HOOT. 125cc's, while not able to keep up on the straightaways with your average squid crotchrocket can make them look like idiots on tricycles when navigating the twisties. I can pretty much drag knee with this ride, zipping around 25mph posted curves at 50mph with nary a wiggle or drift. The fatass rear tire gives plenty of traction, and it feels like the X-Road is glued to the asphalt. Period. Even with the incredibly low center of gravity the Big Ruckus had, I felt way more comfortable on the road with the X-Road than I ever did on the BR.
I think 6 speed is a little wasted on this bike, given the current gearing, but maybe it's because the motor isn't completely broken in yet (and despite Kurt being a "gentle break-in" disciple, I'm doing the "Rode it like I stole it" method) -- my first few WOT runs were 55-58mph, but today, I was easily hitting 65-68. It is very nimble and lightweight, and the gusts of wind I encountered today (I rode 126 miles), moved the X-Road around a bit -- headwinds were killer, as the upright riding position cost the bike around 5-8mph easily.
The seat is a total assbuster. When I pulled in to home after 3 hours of riding, I needed a serious glute massage - If I'm intending on making an ADV ride of any substantial distance, this will for sure have to be addressed.
I will get a gallon gas can and do a trip odometer/run the tank dry test sometime soon, so I can get some mpg numbers for you guys.
For $2500, I got a practically new, very limited edition, street legal and extremely fun little bike, perfect for me to get my riding chops back, and to wow the Harley and Ricer riders ("What the fuck bike is that?" is what I get most often at the gas station). I'm betting down the road, I can retro a 250 or 400cc 4T in that frame and put some dual-use tires on it and make a nice ADV trip with it.
Hope this covers some of the questions you might have had, EvilGenius!
=======================
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDACT
When our tires would wear into the steel belts we'd refer to the little wires sticking out as 'Traction Spurs'
Dr. Zombo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 07:51 PM   #64
Dr. Zombo
ADV Brewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bk brkr baker
How about one of these? Oh, thats right I have the only one.

Did you fab that yourself? It looks vaguely like an X-Road, but not quite? Oh, and....

=======================
Quote:
When our tires would wear into the steel belts we'd refer to the little wires sticking out as 'Traction Spurs'

Dr. Zombo screwed with this post 05-25-2009 at 09:06 PM
Old 05-25-2009, 08:14 PM   #65
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Oddometer: 20,314
Quote:
Originally Posted by X-RoadRider
Hope this covers some of the questions you might have had, EvilGenius!
Awesome!

Thank you very much!

Keep us posted on it as time goes on.

Old 05-25-2009, 09:02 PM   #66
Dr. Zombo
ADV Brewer

Quote:
Awesome!

Thank you very much!

Keep us posted on it as time goes on.
Will do. I think first thing I'm gonna do to this bike (besides find a > 200cc motor) is get a Vapor Kit, so I have a tach, too...unless you guys know of an OEM tach that's easy to add to the bike.
=======================
Quote:
Old 05-25-2009, 09:10 PM   #67
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Quote:
Will do. I think first thing I'm gonna do to this bike (besides find a > 200cc motor) is get a Vapor Kit, so I have a tach, too...unless you guys know of an OEM tach that's easy to add to the bike.
I like the Vapor setups, they seem pretty cool.

Old 05-25-2009, 09:13 PM   #68
Human Ills
Useful Idiom

Oddometer: 22,593
Quote:
I like the Vapor setups, they seem pretty cool.
I'm surprised you didn't suggest the instrument cluster from a Mustang II.

Human Ills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 09:15 PM   #69
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Quote:
Originally Posted by Human Ills
I'm surprised you didn't suggest the instrument cluster from a Mustang II.

Because I didn't want anyone stealing my idea!

Dammit, HI!!!

Old 05-25-2009, 09:18 PM   #70
Human Ills
Useful Idiom

Oddometer: 22,593
Human Ills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 11:11 PM   #71
Dr. Zombo
ADV Brewer

I just ordered my instrument cluster from here.
=======================
Quote:
Old 05-26-2009, 07:03 AM   #72
bk brkr baker
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Did you fab that yourself? It looks vaguely like an X-Road, but not quite? Oh, and....

I have no where near the skills to do this. Nope ,I bought it in the dead of winter on Evil-bay. The builder works at a place in Brownsburg In. making radiators and such for Indy cars .He is a master.
I bought it from a young guy that got it from him and needed some cash for race season.It's a DRZ 125 with a ported and polished head, bigger MicUni carb. cam, pipe and the works.Most of the frame was fabbed and17" wheels added. The gas tank holds about 3 quarts.
Also including the trip to Indy to pick it up I have less than $1500.00 in it.

Old 05-26-2009, 03:32 PM   #73
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,300

I should have kept this, and thrown a RM250 motor in it.

MZ 125SM
Old 05-26-2009, 05:01 PM   #74
FXRocket
Phoneticide Squad

Oddometer: 5,315
Quote:
What do you want to know?
Is it still the 125 cc or did they put a larger motor in it?
Old 05-26-2009, 05:50 PM   #75
bk brkr baker
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper X

I should have kept this, and thrown a RM250 motor in it.

MZ 125SM
Cool MZ motard. My friend has one in yellow. Too bad thgey went tits up. We went to the NHRA nats in Indy a few years back. Riding around the ring road around Indy he drafted a semi and got up to 80mph on that .

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: