User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-13-2009, 03:49 PM   #151
tricepilot OP
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,082
Short Day to Mahahual

This was technically the lowest mileage day, not the run from Pachua to Puebla as previously reported, but I really don't count this as a road day, because from the time we left Chetumal until the time we hit Mahahual, it only seemed like a blink of an eye, we were that anxious to get to the beach. Sterett had a bunch of friends who had flown into Cancún the night before and who were waiting for us. We wanted to get to the Maya Palms and get our gear sorted out, and throw our stuff into a room and not move for 3 days. Just throw the cover over the bike and not move it.

My only advice on this piece of real estate is not to blow by Bacalar like we did, because Bacalar sits on the rim of Cenote Azul, which you'll have to Google to understand why it would be a good idea to make that a stop all unto itself if you had the time to kill. We actually should have stopped there just to see it, if not get into it, but to get set up for diving it would have meant a whole set of logistics we weren't wanting to get involved in.

tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 04:10 PM   #152
tricepilot OP
El Gran Payaso

Lets Go Diving

We're at Dougs Maya Palms, a place I found on the internet that looked like it had decent accomodations and a decent dive operations. We weren't disappointed. Doug also owns the Bon Terre Mine dive operation in Missouri, and spends chunks of time at both places. Doug and his wife Kathy bought the place from a consortium of 10 previous partners who sold out to him. He has his work cut out for him, as the resort took a direct hit by Hurricane Dean in August 2007, and you can see that effect in the amount of reconstruction Doug is masterminding as well as the recovery that the entire area surrounding Mahahual is undertaking.

Quickly enough, it was time to go from the planning stages...

To renting everything but a mask. There was no way obviously to take or need tanks, weight belts, wet suits, fins, or even a regulator and dive computer, although on the last two items I really had to think about that one. When you're down 100 feet and rental reg starts to act up, that mus be a bad feeling. Fortunately, the gear that Doug rented worked flawlessly and I was happy I didn't bring anything but the mask.

Divemaster Chacón, who not only served as divemaster but also waiter, cook, security meister and all around hand on deck. Everybody who worked at the Maya Palm had more than one job title. "Chuck" as we called him, was an excellent dive guide, who spent a lot of his time making sure we left the boat in unison, as the boats we used were small sciffs, and it was important to backroll all at the same time or risk upsetting the boat.

Old 03-13-2009, 04:21 PM   #153
tricepilot OP
El Gran Payaso

Into The Blue

Here's a little background music for you to listen to while looking at the dive photos. Because when you're diving, you can feel like you're the King of the World.....

Old 03-13-2009, 04:38 PM   #154
tricepilot OP
El Gran Payaso

Into The Blue Too

For our next musical selection as you check out the dive photographs, here's a little more Steely Dan

Any Major Dude Will Tell You that motorcycling and diving in Mexico beats workin' for a livin'. Well, at least for a couple of weeks.

Old 03-13-2009, 04:40 PM   #155
Sideout
Noob Adventurer

Oddometer: 658
Nice pics. What was the water temp there?
The vis was good judging by the pics.

Dum spiro spero

Sideout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 04:53 PM   #156
tricepilot OP
El Gran Payaso

Surface Interval

Somebody famous decided to visit Mahahual...

For the record it is NOT Bridget Moynahan though, although that would have been your first guess.

You never know who'll you'll run into at the Blue Iguana, on beach road. Glad she loved the bike.

It would have been too bad for me if all that modeling was done around Sterett's Wing, but his bike got enough attention during the trip to satisfy him anyway.

Also for the record, this run to the Iguana was the only time we uncovered the bikes during the dive weekend.

Doug (T) the owner of Maya Palms and Subcomandante Marcos (B) relax and tell lies stories

The stories got progressively more interesting...

Old 03-13-2009, 05:00 PM   #157
tricepilot OP
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideout

What was the water temp there?

If I had to guess, it was in the low 80s somewhere. I rented a 1 mil wetsuit, although I would have been more comfortable in my own 3 mil or a rented 3 mil.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideout

The vis was good judging by the pics

The vis was good but not great. The best vis I have ever enjoyed is Little Cayman, where conditions were perfect and daily vis was well into the 100s. Vis here at Mahahual was progressively better as with each day the winds died down and the current relaxed. I still enjoyed it even though it wasn't "best evah"
Vis and water temperature: Good diver questions!
Old 03-13-2009, 05:02 PM   #158
Lobby
Viel Spass, Vato!

Oddometer: 27,257
Lobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 05:05 PM   #159
LaOutbackTrail
Certified Smartass

Oddometer: 5,058
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot
That's another topic to expand upon, shortly. And by the way, Learning Spanish Like Crazy uses the exact same format that Pimsleur does. I have used both programs and they are two of the programs that I give the most credit to for learning spanish. Again, it depends on your learning modality. There is no such thing as "fluency in a box", but more in a while on that topic too.
I know this is later..... but I've tried the rosetta stone thing... doesnt work for me. Spanish classes here in the states built my vocabulary, but doing an immersion program allowed me to really use my brain... something I rarely have the opportunity to do. I'm ready to do that again, maybe guatemala....

Loving the pics.... maybe one day when i have a couple bucks, i'll learn to dive.
LaOutbackTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 05:37 PM   #160
tricepilot OP
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaOutbackTrail

I know this is later..... but I've tried the rosetta stone thing... doesnt work for me.

Rosetta Stone and I didn't get along. It is heavily based upon the present progressive tense among other things. You are also tied to a computer, whereas Pimsleur and an IPOD give you the freedom to get into it on a motorcycle, at the gym, in a car, that kind of thing.

But I'm getting ahead of myself and I'll divest all of what I think about learning spanish in a little bit...
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaOutbackTrail
I

...maybe one day when i have a couple bucks, i'll learn to dive

If you can find an instructor friend and borrow gear, it doesn't have to cost an arm and a leg. Then go to Mexico and rent gear. It can be done on the cheap.
Old 03-13-2009, 07:07 PM   #161
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer: 4,933
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot
Somebody famous decided to visit Mahahual...

For the record it is NOT Bridget Moynahan though, although that would have been your first guess.

You never know who'll you'll run into at the Blue Iguana, on beach road. Glad she loved the bike.

It would have been too bad for me if all that modeling was done around Sterett's Wing, but his bike got enough attention during the trip to satisfy him anyway.
Haven't a clue who the famous is, but nice pix!

What's the gotcha?
cyborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 10:06 PM   #162
tricepilot OP
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyborg

Haven't a clue who the famous is.....
Neither do I. Subcomandante swore it was Bridget Moynahan. She swears it wasn't her. Either way, you can't beat the Blue Iguana for a great dive interval evening with friends in Mahahual, Quintana Roo.

Old 03-13-2009, 10:48 PM   #163
subcomm
adrenaline junkie

Oddometer: 151
Subcomandante wants to give Trice major props for:
1. Leading an absolutely epic 2 week ride in MX!
2. Planning the routes and trip with Termite.
3. Putting in major overtime sharing the trip on ADV with myself and all the rest of the inmates.
Happy B-Day Bob & drink one (or a few) for me in Curacao!
subcomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 11:06 PM   #164
tricepilot OP
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
Originally Posted by screamingeagle02

Happy B-Day Bob & drink one (or a few) for me in Curacao!
I have no idea of the internet connection in Curacao, but I'll give it a try!

The plane takes off in 4 1/2 hours ...San Antonio - Atlanta - Curacao. Should be on the ground there at 2 PM Central.

Old 03-14-2009, 09:08 AM   #165
bosco
Raybanned

Oddometer: 11,587

The back road from Mahajual to Belize is pretty awesome. But watch for the bridge crossings.