Old 03-14-2009, 11:35 AM   #166
cymruduc
Lost In Translation

Oddometer: 34
Do Check Out Bacalar Next Trip

I stayed at a friends' place overlooking the Bacalar Lagoon and also
snorkled the Cenote Azul. Check it out next time tricepilot. My two
favorite places along the Yucatan coast have been Mahahual, Mexico
and Placencia, Belize. Did you dive Banco Chinchorro?

Jim in New Braunfels

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot

This was technically the lowest mileage day, not the run from Pachua to Puebla as previously reported, but I really don't count this as a road day, because from the time we left Chetumal until the time we hit Mahahual, it only seemed like a blink of an eye, we were that anxious to get to the beach. Sterett had a bunch of friends who had flown into Cancún the night before and who were waiting for us. We wanted to get to the Maya Palms and get our gear sorted out, and throw our stuff into a room and not move for 3 days. Just throw the cover over the bike and not move it.

My only advice on this piece of real estate is not to blow by Bacalar like we did, because Bacalar sits on the rim of Cenote Azul, which you'll have to Google to understand why it would be a good idea to make that a stop all unto itself if you had the time to kill. We actually should have stopped there just to see it, if not get into it, but to get set up for diving it would have meant a whole set of logistics we weren't wanting to get involved in.

Old 03-23-2009, 10:03 PM   #167
Uncle Pollo
happy cachiporra

Oddometer: 47,179
You are living the dream.

Quintana Roo ... my previous domicile before Pennsylvania
Uncle Pollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 06:20 AM   #168
tricepilot OP
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,082
A three day break in traveling in Mexico was better than I expected. The scuba diving was icing on the cake. Mahahual isn't on anybody's radar yet, although the Mexican government is pumping a lot of dinero into the Riviera Maya with the intent of making the entire coast a tourist destination. I just returned from Curacao as this is written, and I met a guy, John, who bought a home in Xcalak, just down the beach road towards Belize. We talked about how, in a few years, this portion of the Yucatán may be what Puerto Vallarta was back in the '60s.

I'm not a marine biologist, but I can say that the reef here is making a comeback. Hurricane Dean gave it a direct hit in August 2007, and like a punch drunk sailor, it is staggering back to its feet. The best part for me was back rolls off of the sciff, with Chacón as the divemaster. He was very cool and the sciff diving was more fun than giant-striding off of Pro 48s.

tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 06:21 AM   #169
tricepilot OP
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
Originally Posted by nessuno

You are living the dream.

Quintana Roo ... my previous domicile before Pennsylvania
Yes, but you are in Santa Fe, living the dream
Old 03-25-2009, 06:26 AM   #170
tricepilot OP
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
Originally Posted by cymruduc

Did you dive Banco Chinchorro?
Cenotes and the Chinchorro Banks were out of reach.....this trip. Someday, I'll vagabond lifestyle to Mexico and roll around on a pizza bike, hitting all the spots I race by on an itinerary. There is a time to every season...
Old 03-25-2009, 06:38 AM   #171
tricepilot OP
El Gran Payaso

The Palenque Segment

By Monday of week 2, at 6 AM, it was time to leave Mahahual.

Sterett's buds from Indy, who had flown down to Cancún, had to be in the Maya Palms van and gone at that hour, so we decided to match their departure time and get gone on the highway, too.

The plan was to make it to Palenque and tour the ruins, so as to make Tuesday a gun running day through Chiapas to San Cristobal de las Casas. We had to make the highway bend down to Chetumal again, and then west to Escarcega, and southwest to Palenque.

Sunrise over the Mexican Caribbean, shortly after 6 AM

Beach road between Mahahual and Xcalak. This is heading north to Mahahual the day of departure

The lonely lighthouse in Mahahual. In 10 years, it could be the center of a shopping mall

The plan

What happens when plans fail

We wouldn't make it to the ruins this day. I had the only mechanical of the trip, and Sterett and I would spend the rest of the afternoon by the side of the road, while Subcomandante Marcos rides off into the sunset, in search of help...
Old 03-25-2009, 07:25 AM   #172
LaOutbackTrail
Certified Smartass

Oddometer: 5,058
Uh ohhhhh.

LaOutbackTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 07:42 AM   #173
Raoul Duke
By Popular Demand

Oddometer: 806

Hey man, welcome to the club!

Maybe I should start a "Your Best 'Bike on the Side of the Road Missing a Wheel'" thread.
Raoul Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 04:33 PM   #174
tricepilot OP
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valmis

Hey man, welcome to the club!

Maybe I should start a "Your Best 'Bike on the Side of the Road Missing a Wheel'" thread.
Subcomandante Marcos takes the failed tire into the town of Palenque to find a Vulca, Llanteria, etc. Whatever you wish to call them. They are Tire Gods. There was no nail, screw etc. A piece of wire embedded itself into the rubber, so there was no obvious "item" to remove with pliars. I was ready with a Cycle Pump, plugs, water, shampoo etc, but the Cycle Pump couldn't keep up with the microscopic leak. I needed the 45 gram Innovations CO2 cylinders, which I had discarded prior to the trip.

Here is a tip: don't think that every tire flat means you'll find a simple item to remove and patch. And have a stiff source of air to inflate the flatted tire so that you can discern the source of the leak. Be prepared to just remove the tire and have one of the thousands of tire repair places take care of business. They tried a patch at first but it didn't hold. So the tire was fixed with a plug. Subcomandante was back late afternoon with the repaired tire.

We didn't have time to make it to the ruins, so we pulled over to scan the "Lonely Planet" and use the "Taxi Trick" to find a hotel for the night in the town of Palenque.

The Palenque ruins would have to wait until the next day...

Subcomandante with my tire on the back of his GS

Old 03-27-2009, 04:54 PM   #175
NSFW
ktm's "the tourist"

Oddometer: 15,715
you tambien....yo te mexico.

thanks for finding the time to share... excellent report and lots of pics...
NSFW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 07:02 PM   #176
Eduardo
Eduardo

Oddometer: 685
Hola Amigos, Too bad I missed you...Mahahual is where I´ve been for 2 weeks after coming from Guatemala. I´m in Chetumal taking a break from camping and the strong winds we have had for a couple days. The run from Chetumal to Palenque is a hot and dry one sometimes...how was it?

Anyway thanks for sharing and great ride report. Saludos, Eduardo

Escape the Tundra: Tenth winter in Mexico and Guatemala 2009/2010
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=531184
Minnesota to Guatemala 2008/2009 http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=423949
Eduardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 03:19 PM   #177
tricepilot OP
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eduardo

The run from Chetumal to Palenque is a hot and dry one sometimes...how was it?
Sorry for being missing in action, Hermano. Juggling Big Bend, Curacao, and the upcoming Texas Adventure Ride. But I'm back on the case...

The ride across the Yucatán was perfect. Sunny skies, no rain, just a little fog in the morning leaving Chetumal. All my life I've wanted to gun run that place. Now it's checked off of my bucket list.

My advice is/was to stop every 100 miles or so, whenever there is a PEMEX. Subcomandante would have shot me if we didn't stick to this agenda.
Old 03-31-2009, 03:45 PM   #178
tricepilot OP
El Gran Payaso

Palenque Ruins

Palenque and Tikal are on my list. When I do Guatamala in bulk, I'll hit Tikal for a few days. This moment was reserved for Palenque.

You've seen the intro photograph of Esther. She is probably the most beautiful woman I've photographed in Mexico, or probably, anywhere. Here she is with her artesanias. You have only the photographs here and to follow. What you can't fathom is the class and dignity that this young woman exuded. She spoke with a self-assured voice that gave me the impression that she was at total peace with her life. I spoke to her about her family life, where she lived. It was an enchanting experience to be in her presence.

This is it. The photograph I consider my best ever in Mexico. Notice the light on her face. That is the sun's reflection off of the Temple of the Inscriptions, the sun was actually rising to her left, not her right. She is illuminated by history and her own personal beauty and dignity.

The Temple of the Inscriptions

This lady is from Cuba. There were people from all over the place at Palenque. She said "Hey, Tricepilot, take my picture, would you please?" Well, not exactly, but I have the shot.

Sterett immersed in history. We loved Palenque. It was a fabulous day, and we were running like mad men trying to capture the morning light. Evan (Valmis) taught me well

Subcomandante telling us what he thinks about getting his neck caught on a jungle vine...

Just a few more photographs in just a second or two...
Old 03-31-2009, 04:03 PM   #179
tricepilot OP
El Gran Payaso

Palenque Fin

Need a snack before you load up and leave Palenque?

Yes, those last two shots of Esther are repeats. So sue me.

We are about to pack up and head off through Chiapas and EZLN territory, and arrive at San Cristobal de las Casas. Color, color, color, and a place I've always wanted to see.

So long, Esther
Old 03-31-2009, 06:18 PM   #180
LaOutbackTrail
Certified Smartass

Oddometer: 5,058
Getting better and better.

Esther is downright beautiful! Why didn't you bring her home???
LaOutbackTrail is offline   Reply With Quote