Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-06-2009, 01:07 PM   #91
Sideout
Noob Adventurer

Oddometer: 654
When in Nicaragua gotta watch out for the Sandinistas.

Dum spiro spero

Sideout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 01:30 PM   #92
NMEXPAT
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 313
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot
(I also hope you can fix your Red X snag, we'd love to see a few photograpahs from the Corn Islands!)
Should be fixed now.
NMEXPAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 01:43 PM   #93
tricepilot OP
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,298
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMEXPAT

Should be fixed now.

Beautiful! Thank you so much for tweaking the photographs!. I never would have known about that place without your post! You and Sideout have got our juices flowing, the Dominican Republic and Nicagragua's Corn Islands are places I certainly haven't been. I've heard about the DR, but not these tiny islands off of Nicagragua. Flying to either place and renting a scoot would absolutely make it a legitimate moto-scuba ride report!!!

Bob
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 02:14 PM   #94
shadman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 125

Honda Cargo 125, the workhorse of Mexic!!! A variant of the CGL 125, which can be yours for 17,700 pesos, or $1,185 USD including VAT tax. I love them and intend to buy one someday and bring it home, just for fun. I've heard they are good touring bikes, with the sturdy rack and all.. j/k!

I love pics of bikes we can't have in the US.
shadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 02:44 PM   #95
tricepilot OP
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,298
Tlacotalpan - Try to Say It

Tlacotalpan. It’s a UNESCO World Heritage Site that you can’t pronounce and can’t afford to miss. But within one minute from this moment, you’ll be an expert. Phase One: Forget that “l” after the “T”. Say “Taco-tal-pan”, you know, items you’d find in your kitchen (tal kind of like ‘towell’, if you’re from Alambama). Phase Two: Say “Lock-O” instead of “Taco”. Now we have to get past the pesky “l” after the “T”. We’ll add the T back in so that the “T” is the briefest of all “ta” sounds, and Tlacotalpan becomes Ta + locko (mashed together)-tal-pan. T’locko-tal-pan. Tlacotalpan. If you can also say, Tlaquepaque, you are now a certified guide. We offer advanced courses at our schools in Xilitla, Oaxaca, and Tlalixcoyan.

We rode out of town finding Mex 180, looking for the turnoff on Mex 175. The single delimiting factor for the day’s schedule was a hard time of 3 PM to be in Coatzacoalcos, so we had one eye on the road and the other on the clock. It would have been a shame to have to take the autopista out of Veracruz. We would have arrived in Coatzacoalcos too early, and missed the experience of riding this portion of the Mexican coastline. As it turned out, it was perfect, we had time for Tlacotalpan and time for lunch in Catemaco.

Tlacotalpan is on the banks of the Río Papaloapan, just a short detour off of Mex 180. The blending of Spanish and Caribbean flavors in the architecture here are very unique, very colorful. Think of the colors of Guanajuato splashed all over the hillside, but in this instance spread among the coastal lowlands of the Veracruz state, on the banks of a lazy river. Sugar cane fields, and their trucks, abound in this area. It is common for the cane trucks to lose a portion of their cargo as they slowly maneuver over the topes. It has a New Orleans vibe. If you were to be brought there blindfolded, and the blindfold removed while you stood on the town square, you would swear you were on a movie set.

The day we were there, there were no other tourists in sight. It was still mid-morning, and a dense fog was lifting. There was almost an erie, just-finished -filming quality about the mood. Disney could model a new phase of Epcot after Tlacotalpan. Every house appears colonnaded. Color splashed from every direction.

Do you know what this is?

Then you know how he makes his living:

tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 05:41 PM   #96
Gitana
A work in progress

Oddometer: 6,905
I can't tell you how much I am enjoying the colors and sights you are sharing with us! This is such a treat.
2008 WR250R | 2008 DL650
Gitana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 06:25 PM   #97
pilot
Slacker Moderator

Oddometer: 30,990
I've been recognizing quite a few scenes in your pictures. The hotel in Ciudad Valles, the cigar stand in Veracruz, some of the buildings there. I'm really enjoying this.
Old 03-06-2009, 07:30 PM   #98
pdedse
paraelamigosincero

Oddometer: 1,102
Very fun photos, very cool report!
pdedse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 09:13 PM   #99
Gitana
A work in progress

Oddometer: 6,905
Oh, please. Could you take your politics elsewhere and not ruin the RR? Thanks.
2008 WR250R | 2008 DL650
Gitana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 09:21 PM   #100
ywr969
Ye Wilde Ryder

Oddometer: 658
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gitana
+1
you obviously have issues, so take them to the basement & quit muddying the RR waters.

2005 Husqvarna TE-510
"What we do in life echoes in eternity."
ywr969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 09:32 PM   #101
Cuxo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gitana
I agree with you Gitana. Bob's RR is fantastic, no room for politics...
Old 03-07-2009, 12:50 AM   #102
Trailblazer
no cualquier gringo

Oddometer: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot

On the shore lay montezuma
With his coca leaves and pearls
In his halls he often wondered
With the secrets of the worlds.

Hate was just a legend
And war was never known
The people worked together
And they lifted many stones.

He came dancing across the water
Cortez, cortez
What a killer.
Well I love the song, sung with the reggae-sque refrain "He come dan-cing a-cross the wha-ta man, Cortez Cortez" but "and war was never known"? Huh? Aaaaaaannnnnnd I suppose Montezuma never saw a coca leaf in his life, but... whatever. Its only rock n roll.
If Cortes hadn't done it someone else would've.
I've never heard of the Leyenda Negra and so now I know. Thank you Mike. Anybody ever read Dune? (the book, not the movie).

Oh, was there a RR going on here?
Maestro? Maestro!

Trailblazer screwed with this post 03-07-2009 at 12:55 AM
Trailblazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 01:16 AM   #103
Pedro Navaja
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,525
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailblazer
Well I love the song, sung with the reggae-sque refrain "He come dan-cing a-cross the wha-ta man, Cortez Cortez" but "and war was never known"? Huh? Aaaaaaannnnnnd I suppose Montezuma never saw a coca leaf in his life, but... whatever. Its only rock n roll.
If Cortes hadn't done it someone else would've.
I've never heard of the Leyenda Negra and so now I know. Thank you Mike. Anybody ever read Dune? (the book, not the movie).

Oh, was there a RR going on here?
Maestro? Maestro!
Lol! Hey Milton do you remember that other conquistador song? I think it was in the late 60's maybe early 70's, "you did not conquer, only die...", or some lyrics like that. I think it made it pretty high on the pop charts.

Here's one thing to consider. In places like Guatemala you will see both Pedro de Alvarado (conquistador) and Tecun Uman (native hero) both pictured on the same mural. Mestizaje loves both sides of it's history. Here's a similar theme from Cuatrocienegas, MEX.

And yes, I read Dune, and yes back to the ride report. But I must say I have tried to use Bob's camera tips on white balance, and still don't have it right yet. But his suggestion on shooting with morning and evening light was right on target. I am slowly getting better. Hopefully you will do better than me with photos on your upcoming ride.

Mike

Pedro Navaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 05:16 AM   #104
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,370
Pedro Navaja: your insights into history and politics are interesting. We've told you in Striking Viking's report to keep politics out of it. We have an entire forum in the basement devoted to this subject, take it there.. We have a zero tolerance policy for asshatism in Ride Reports.

You've got a week off to read the posted rules.
Old 03-07-2009, 05:59 AM   #105
Trailblazer
no cualquier gringo

Oddometer: 246
Trailblazer is offline   Reply With Quote