Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 11-17-2011, 01:02 PM   #256
wachs OP
just passin' through

Oddometer: 4,528
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idahosam View Post
Hey, I just wanted to chime in. I have been using my Great Basin for almost two years now and coming up on 15,000 miles on it been dropped on rained on snowed on covered in mud and still holding up good. Excellent product. I also have been running your Fandango Tank bag it too is awesome.

My stuff just isn't so pretty anymore

Thanks guys.

You're welcome Sam, glad you're getting 'proper use' out of the kit and it still looks good from here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by killurtv View Post
After all the shows you guys have been to lately.... anything new and exciting in the works????? Christmas is coming up and I would love to buy myself another piece of GL gear, wrap it up and stick it under the "tree". SURPRISE!!!!

HA! Yes, we have a bunch of new stuff coming soon. Italy was amazing and inspiring. We had nothing but positive comments from the adventure crowd and common street/touring riders as well. Still getting back to normal here and catching up.

http://www.altrider.com/product/cate...rch/hemisphere
Old 11-21-2011, 05:44 PM   #257
OlafofOregon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 252
Giant Loop Great Basin Saddlebag review: Adventure Motorcycle Nov/Dec 2011

Thanks Adventure Motorcycle magazine for the Great Basin Saddlebag review in the November/December issue! And how 'bout the Fandango Tank Bags on the Marley Brother's Ducati Multistradas (cover story)? Sweet!

Old 09-13-2012, 05:42 AM   #258
WoodsTripper
1 Track Mind

Oddometer: 17
Getting one of these for my R12GS has always been on my radar screen for solo adventuring. But, after this latest 7-day, 1200 mile 2-up trip all around Colorado with hard bags, I'm wondering whether anyone has tried making a rack or mounting system to mount the Great Basin behind the passenger. I say this because I'm through with hard bags: the weight, bulk, unusable space and risk of damage just isn't worth it. I've looked at the Wolfman system but ain't too wild about the ugly racks. If I could make a rack that was easily removable which would support the Great Basin behind the passenger, I think it could catch on. Just wondered whether anyone else including the people at GL have thought about this.
Old 09-15-2012, 05:39 AM   #259
bastimentos
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodsTripper View Post
Getting one of these for my R12GS has always been on my radar screen for solo adventuring. But, after this latest 7-day, 1200 mile 2-up trip all around Colorado with hard bags, I'm wondering whether anyone has tried making a rack or mounting system to mount the Great Basin behind the passenger. I say this because I'm through with hard bags: the weight, bulk, unusable space and risk of damage just isn't worth it. I've looked at the Wolfman system but ain't too wild about the ugly racks. If I could make a rack that was easily removable which would support the Great Basin behind the passenger, I think it could catch on. Just wondered whether anyone else including the people at GL have thought about this.
Just wanted to chime in and say I think this is a great idea. I would LOVE to be able to use the Great Basin with a pillion on the 1200GS. Have the good folks at giant loop looked into this?
Old 09-15-2012, 08:25 AM   #260
dacrazyrn
ED RN Adventurer

Oddometer: 493
Quote:
Originally Posted by bastimentos View Post
Just wanted to chime in and say I think this is a great idea. I would LOVE to be able to use the Great Basin with a pillion on the 1200GS. Have the good folks at giant loop looked into this?
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...&postcount=205
'09 BMW F800GS-Fate Honeyed GSabelle
Old 09-15-2012, 09:04 AM   #261
Idahosam
Set Adrift

Oddometer: 4,077
Quote:
I would LOVE to be able to use the Great Basin with a pillion on the 1200GS. Have the good folks at giant loop looked into this?
I know this guy is using one

and this guy..

They love the GL.

To travel is to discover that everyone is wrong about other countries.
Aldous Huxley
Old 03-18-2013, 10:39 AM   #262
hound master
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
hey everybody,

I am currently planning a 10 month jaunt down to Tierra Del Fuego, starting in August. I'm taking my F800gs and have already purchased the Happy Trails Teton rack and panniers.... but having second thoughts.

I think the Great Basin setup would potentially be great; weight savings, more compact, etc.. My only concern really is security of my gear when having to inevitably leave the bike unattended. Any suggestions for added layer of security when on the bike? Are the connecting straps prone to being snipped off?

The other issue would be now selling the Happy Trails Teton setup, any takers? ...just when you think you have your gear sorted.

Product looks great, hopefully it will be joining me on the trek.

Thanks,
D
Old 04-04-2013, 09:59 AM   #263
Idahosam
Set Adrift

Oddometer: 4,077
Hound Master:

I think you will be fine with the current setup. You stated that you have the Tetons. that's really about the perfect size (you don't overload). I rode south for a few months using a GL Great Basin. see sig line. I have just myself mounted the HT Teton set on my 990. I think particulary if your traveling solo the lockable system is prudent. Also do to your extended journey I think they will stand up to the abuse (i.e. wear & Tear).

All that said I love my GL but it will be more of a back country week long trips. It has some 30K+ miles on it now and has a few holes in it from lay downs and just wear. still usable though.

Tetons, are lockable, water tight, durable, I think probably better for your type of journey (long term).

My GL worked fine, but always was concerned about security (someone just cutting it open hence I kept all my valuables locked in a tail trunk.

Weight wise on a 800 the HT oppose to GL it's nominal, perhaps a 25 pound gain (I weighed my HT prior to installation). You will be spending 90% of your time on primary and secondary roads. probably a couple of side trips that will also be doable. If you are leaning towards hammering along single track, mud bogs, etc perhaps the GL is a better way to go.

Each system has it place in the world and each one in it's own right are excellent.

Just something for you to consider......... my 2 cents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hound master View Post
hey everybody,

I am currently planning a 10 month jaunt down to Tierra Del Fuego, starting in August. I'm taking my F800gs and have already purchased the Happy Trails Teton rack and panniers.... but having second thoughts.

I think the Great Basin setup would potentially be great; weight savings, more compact, etc.. My only concern really is security of my gear when having to inevitably leave the bike unattended. Any suggestions for added layer of security when on the bike? Are the connecting straps prone to being snipped off?

The other issue would be now selling the Happy Trails Teton setup, any takers? ...just when you think you have your gear sorted.

Product looks great, hopefully it will be joining me on the trek.

Thanks,
D

To travel is to discover that everyone is wrong about other countries.
Aldous Huxley
Old 04-04-2013, 11:07 AM   #264
snowhawk jockey
Slack Jaw Gaper

Oddometer: 990
This thread has details on the 2013 GL Great Basin, including its security cable pass-through.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...9#post20438389

Pacsafe is a less than $100 product that offers slash protection for soft bags. Locked hard bags are easily removed from frames, or opened, with a basic levering hand tool or tire iron. Don't be fooled by their "hard and locked" image, your awareness and vigilance is still required to maintain security, just like with soft bags.

A quote on the Great Basin and its security cable lock pass through.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlafofOregon View Post

Great Basin System
Carry your gear where the passenger would sit on your bike - 
fits virtually any motorcycle designed to carry a passenger. Now more modular and customizable - choose the Great Basin accessories bags that best suit your packing needs.

Great Basin Saddlebag - Adventure Proof
The soft luggage problem-solver for virtually any bike designed to carry a passenger. Straps to passenger footrest mounts and rides on pillion seat. Plus, a long list of rider-requested improvements — and a lower entry price (MSRP $399 USD vs. $439)!
• COLORS: black, white, gray, yellow, orange
• NEW! Volume: 60 liters (10 more liters!)
• NEW! “Beavertail” and floating compression straps - more ways to carry the gear you need, the way you want it
• NEW! Separate mounting and compression straps for easier gear access
• NEW! Beefy YKK coil zipper (not water resistant) opens/closes easier
• NEW! Redesigned storm flap for 
improved access and water deflection
• NEW! Choose fitted Great Basin Stuff Sacks or 100% waterproof Great Basin Dry Pods — or use your own bags inside to suit your kit
• NEW! Cable lock pass-though to secure bag to bike while parked (cable/lock not included)
• NEW! More reflective accents for better visibility
• 1 Hot Springs Heat Shield (new laser-cut aluminum version) included
• Military-spec materials and construction
• Made in U.S.A.
• MSRP $399 USD

NEW Great Basin 
Stuff Sacks (set of 5) - Adventure Proof
Keep gear organized with stuff sacks fitted to the Great Basin Saddlebag’s interior.

• COLOR: high visibility yellow
• 2 lower zippered ballistic pods position heavy gear low and tight
• 2 corner-shaped pack cloth sacks with drawstring closures
• 1 roll-top center bag
• Total volume: 55 liters
• Made in U.S.A.
• MSRP $79 USD

Great Basin Dry Pods (set of 5) - Waterproof
Waterproof roll-top Dry Pods keep gear dry, organized and protected inside the Great Basin Saddlebag’s super-rugged Adventure Proof outer Bombshell™.

• 2 lower pods
• 2 corner pods
• 1 middle pod
• Total volume: 55 liters
• Made in U.S.A.

• MSRP $150 USD

Great Basin 
Dry Bag - Waterproof
Adds 100% waterproof gear storage to any Giant Loop kit.

• Volume: 23 liters
• Roll-top closure 
with D-ring
• Lash point for added security
• Made in U.S.A.
• MSRP $59 MSRP
Closed Thread