User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 06-07-2009, 09:35 PM   #61
omnivore
SuperSportTourer

Oddometer: 1,014
Cool bag idea...butpricey for soft luggage. More than double the price of Wolfman's Expedition
1996 YZF 600-Lost Era racebike
1999 R6-Rookie Challenge racebike
Old 06-08-2009, 08:56 AM   #62
Cap'n Ron
The Devil's Advocate

Oddometer: 527
Quote:
Originally Posted by omnivore
Cool bag idea...butpricey for soft luggage. More than double the price of Wolfman's Expedition
..... and worth 3 times as much. The craftsmanship that went into these bags is amazing. As far as I am concerned this is probably the BEST option if you're planning any big distance on dirt. Way better than having bags hanging off the sides. Thanks for the great product Dave!

Exploration is the key to a youthful outlook!
"It hurts up to a point and then it doesn't get any worse." -Ann Trason on running marathons.
Old 06-09-2009, 10:02 AM   #63
HickOnACrick
Groovinator

Oddometer: 2,493
Maiden voyage of the Great Basin on my SE last weekend. I loaded it with a sleeping bag, camp stove, gas, first aid kit, all my tools, a spare tube, 2 water bottles and a large touring jacket that takes up more room than my sleeping bag.

I rode about 300 miles, I rode mostly road, but was off-road for 40 miles of very thick, muddy fire roads. I got airborne, I did some wheelies, and the bag did not budge. I forgo the bag was there - this is rarely the case while riding off road with luggage. I took things in and out easily, took out the large touring jacket leaving a vacuum of space and the bag cinches right up.

It rained hard that day. It rained from the time I left my home until I returned 8 hours later.

This is the only flaw with the system that I see - water leaks in where the 2 zippers join. Right beneath where the 2 zippers come together, my touring jacket got a little wet - not soaked, but enough that had it been my sleeping bag, it could have made for an uncomfortable night.

This seems like an easy fix - maybe a 6 or 8 inch flap with velcro closure that sits in the middle of the bag. You bring the zippers together in the middle, then cover them with the velcro flap.
Utarded in Baja
Circumcising Utah

Old 06-10-2009, 09:12 AM   #64
Slopez22
skooter rider

Oddometer: 220
I'll buy it next

After the turbo city racks broke repeatedly on my TransAm trip, I wont go with rack/bag set up again. The whole time I was wishing I would have bought the giant loop bag.
Old 06-10-2009, 11:41 AM   #65
trasko
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 282
I ordered a Great Basin for the ole KLR a few days ago. We'll see how it goes...
Old 06-11-2009, 07:29 AM   #66
jvg
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
Question Recall?

Someone said that there has been a recall on the Great Basin bags.
What's the news on that?

/j
Old 06-11-2009, 07:56 AM   #67
brad21
Farting in a Fan

Oddometer: 3,556
Apparently one of the straps (center?) didn't get stitched all the way thru like it should have in production. According to Dave It's a 20 second fix and he and Harold are working on a way to remedy the problem. I'm sure they'll chime in here soon.

BRC Member #49252 JOIN TODAY! https://www.sharetrails.org/support/join-or-contribute
Old 06-11-2009, 11:01 AM   #68
trasko
Gnarly Adventurer

Doh! I'm watching to see what happens. I just ordered one a few days ago.
Old 06-11-2009, 12:46 PM   #69
brad21
Farting in a Fan

Oddometer: 3,556
You'll probably be okay Trasko as it was a known issue prior to a few days ago.

BRC Member #49252 JOIN TODAY! https://www.sharetrails.org/support/join-or-contribute
Old 06-11-2009, 01:01 PM   #70
wachs OP
just passin' through

Oddometer: 4,717
Hello everyone -

Firstly: My sincere, personal apologies to anyone who has been inconvenienced by this situation.

Secondly: Yes we are providing a 'NO COST REPLACEMENT' of all Great Basin Saddlebags with new, updated units and pre-paid return shipping. In fact I just returned from UPS shipping to fellas leaving on adventures next week.

Thirdly: The issue is the center compression strap of the three that go to the harness ring. If the bag is off the bike, upside down, loaded up with gear and you were to pick it up or pull hard on it, the stitching can fail. For reasons we still do not understand, our sewing contractor made the unilateral decision not to stitch that single strap through all the layers of the base. It's an easy fix and we have made the upgrade to all subsequent production units but I just about had a heart attack when this was pointed out to us by a rally rider in Australia. He put something like 12,000 km mixed dirt and pavement on his ride with no other problems. In fact, several guys have done similar hard core rides using the kit with no issues other than they could not believe how much better their bikes performed with the 'go lighter, go farther' concept. Still, this was an unacceptable component of our Great Basin Saddlebag and we have made the production modifications to correct it.

Fourth: I am deeply grateful to all the valued customers who have contacted me with their support and patience not only in this matter but also for the confidence in our designs. This is a great community of like-minded enthusiasts and we appreciate the new friends we've made here, the inspiring stories shared and the opportunity to show the world that Americans don't just roll over when the going gets tough. We are proud to do the right thing and hope to continue down the trail with a positive vision of the good times ahead.

Thanks, Dave

http://www.altrider.com/product/cate...rch/hemisphere
Old 06-11-2009, 01:17 PM   #71
mookymoo
Mookish Mook

Oddometer: 4,370
Top service!

I was advised of the issue as soon as it was known - along with details of how it was going to be addressed. 2 Hours ago I got shipping notification that the new ones are already on their way.

Thanks Dave/Harold
Old 06-11-2009, 01:54 PM   #72
trasko
Gnarly Adventurer

Great! I honestly wasn't worried about it. I can tell ya'll are upstanding folks and the bag looks seriously high-quality. I'm looking forward to getting it.
Old 06-12-2009, 02:35 AM   #73
SteveRed
Adventure Mojo

Oddometer: 2,680
Any bags sold in Australia will be the "New Improved" version of the Geat Basin. A special thanks goes out to our friend here on ADV "The Valleys" who discovered the problem and gave us such great feedback on the GB.. Warts and all. He still loves his bag and tells me he wouldn't leave home with out it

http://www.adventuremoto.com.au
Your ride.. Your adventure!
Old 06-13-2009, 05:48 AM   #74
grogger123
fatbastard

Oddometer: 469
Confirm what your saying about the Aussie Rider

The bloke from Australia you are refering to is the mate I recently did a trip through the Goldfields of Western Australia with. Aido and I rode from Albany WA to attend the Carnegie Desert Raid. He had the luggage on his KTM 640 Adventure. We rode along the Great Central Road to Warburton and up the Heather Hwy to the Gunbarrel Hwy. We then rode along the Gunbarrel to Carnegie Station. Then Carnegie to Wiluna. A lot of the roads we went along were very corrugated with lots of soft sand and gravel.

I provide details of the ride to put the use of the luggage in context. Aido was very impressed with the the overall design of the luggage. As the bloke riding behind him most of the way, I was pretty impressed too. I can confirm the positive response Aido received to the feedback he provided to the manufacturer about the stitching problem.

Not wishing to speak for Aido, I will give my observation. Overall the product seemed well designed and built. I don't think the photos on the manufacturers website really give a good idea of just how well it sits on a bike. The bag didn't budge an inch for the whole trip. It just seemed to swallow his gear and allowed him to have the weight of his gear sit low on his bike. Even though the 640 has a high muffler, there was no hint of the bag being melted by the exhaust. The construction material appeared really tough as well.

The design meant Aido was able to get the bag on and off his bag easily and quickly. Overall I would have to say that to me the product looked really good. As a consumer it doesnt really bother me too much if there are problems with a product as long as the manufacturer supports the product and is willing to rectify any problems. In the case of Aido's bag that has happened.

Would I buy one? At the moment no, as my wife will garrote me if I spend more money on my bike. If I thought I could get away with spending the money, I would definitely give them a serious look though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wachs
Hello everyone -

Firstly: My sincere, personal apologies to anyone who has been inconvenienced by this situation.

Secondly: Yes we are providing a 'NO COST REPLACEMENT' of all Great Basin Saddlebags with new, updated units and pre-paid return shipping. In fact I just returned from UPS shipping to fellas leaving on adventures next week.

Thirdly: The issue is the center compression strap of the three that go to the harness ring. If the bag is off the bike, upside down, loaded up with gear and you were to pick it up or pull hard on it, the stitching can fail. For reasons we still do not understand, our sewing contractor made the unilateral decision not to stitch that single strap through all the layers of the base. It's an easy fix and we have made the upgrade to all subsequent production units but I just about had a heart attack when this was pointed out to us by a rally rider in Australia. He put something like 12,000 km mixed dirt and pavement on his ride with no other problems. In fact, several guys have done similar hard core rides using the kit with no issues other than they could not believe how much better their bikes performed with the 'go lighter, go farther' concept. Still, this was an unacceptable component of our Great Basin Saddlebag and we have made the production modifications to correct it.

Fourth: I am deeply grateful to all the valued customers who have contacted me with their support and patience not only in this matter but also for the confidence in our designs. This is a great community of like-minded enthusiasts and we appreciate the new friends we've made here, the inspiring stories shared and the opportunity to show the world that Americans don't just roll over when the going gets tough. We are proud to do the right thing and hope to continue down the trail with a positive vision of the good times ahead.

Thanks, Dave
Old 06-13-2009, 10:12 PM   #75
HickOnACrick
Groovinator

Oddometer: 2,493
I continue to be impressed with this product!

Unfortunately, today I hit some oil on a wet road today. I low-sided and slid off the road. I was probably between 30 and 40mph when this happened.

My slide took me across two lanes of traffic and my 950 SE flipped, braking both mirrors (sheared off) and my Zumo

I walked away smiling because I insist on wearing what amounts to an ektoskeleton every time I ride.

The GreatBasin did not budge. It did not tear. In fact, you can't even see any abrasions on it. And because it was taking the beating as my bike slid across and off the road, it likely prevented hundreds of dollars in repairs.
Utarded in Baja
Circumcising Utah

Closed Thread