User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 03:55 PM   #91
wachs OP
just passin' through

Oddometer: 4,782
Thanks Brad, Leisure, Steve and all. Yes, we have lots of new stuff coming, stay tuned. In the meantime, I just received this note from another happy rider in Washington State:

"I own one of the original GL saddlebags that I use on my 525XC/XR650R, I brutalized that bag and it just keeps coming back for more. Now being a complete believer in “Go light, Go fast” philosophy, there was no way I could continue to ride my 990 with panniers. I ordered my Great Basin Saddlebag Wednesday night and by Friday afternoon, I had the instructions in hand performing the 1 minute install. The Great Basin has well thought out items like the top case and bottle compartments and just as the original saddlebag, durability is not a factor. But the greatest feature is how quickly you can remove/install, it is literally less than a minute. Also, being “big boned”, I was worried that my larger sleeping bag would not fit in the storage compartment, no problem, room to spare. I was worried that it may cramp my riding position a touch, again no problem. Actually on one long paved section I did this weekend, I moved the bag forward so I had a little backrest! Plenty of storage space as well, for weekend getaways there is no need for a backpack (hydration pack only) and your tank bag is freed up to be the cooler at that last stop before camping for the night."

I think that'd be Mt Rainier poking up back there.

How about the matching Spot locator?!

http://www.altrider.com/product/cate...rch/hemisphere
Old 07-16-2009, 03:14 PM   #92
mfaoro
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
I have looked and looked :)...maybe its behind the next click...anyway is any way to mount this on the KTM 690e without covering the gas cap? If not, how hard is it (how many buckles to unclasp/unthread to get at the gas cap?

Also, any experience with putting your new tank bag on the 690e?

Thanks,
Michael

Quote:
Originally Posted by wachs
Thanks Brad, Leisure, Steve and all. Yes, we have lots of new stuff coming, stay tuned. In the meantime, I just received this note from another happy rider in Washington State:

"I own one of the original GL saddlebags that I use on my 525XC/XR650R, I brutalized that bag and it just keeps coming back for more. Now being a complete believer in “Go light, Go fast” philosophy, there was no way I could continue to ride my 990 with panniers. I ordered my Great Basin Saddlebag Wednesday night and by Friday afternoon, I had the instructions in hand performing the 1 minute install. The Great Basin has well thought out items like the top case and bottle compartments and just as the original saddlebag, durability is not a factor. But the greatest feature is how quickly you can remove/install, it is literally less than a minute. Also, being “big boned”, I was worried that my larger sleeping bag would not fit in the storage compartment, no problem, room to spare. I was worried that it may cramp my riding position a touch, again no problem. Actually on one long paved section I did this weekend, I moved the bag forward so I had a little backrest! Plenty of storage space as well, for weekend getaways there is no need for a backpack (hydration pack only) and your tank bag is freed up to be the cooler at that last stop before camping for the night."

I think that'd be Mt Rainier poking up back there.

How about the matching Spot locator?!
Old 07-17-2009, 11:47 AM   #93
Redline
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 313
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfaoro
I have looked and looked :)...maybe its behind the next click...anyway is any way to mount this on the KTM 690e without covering the gas cap?

Thanks,
Michael
Michael, check out the GL blog...second entry on this page I believe.
http://giantloopmoto.blogspot.com/se...&max-results=7
Old 07-17-2009, 03:36 PM   #94
mfaoro
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
Thanks Redline - thats the Giant Loop (as opposed to the great basin).

Just found someplace local that has a demo that I can try on the bike. Gonna head 'fer Tacoma tomorrow I guess...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redline
Michael, check out the GL blog...second entry on this page I believe.
http://giantloopmoto.blogspot.com/se...&max-results=7
Old 07-19-2009, 02:31 PM   #95
wachs OP
just passin' through

KTM 690 fitment

Just returned from an impromptu photo shoot with the KTM 690. My friend and neighbor Steve is a former National ISDE team member from England who is also a retired Grand Prix Equestrian competitor (now trainer) and has several nice KTMs. He has a Dakar Rally 690 which was in the shop for some electrical work but I guess it's quite a sight - looking forward to test ride on that unit someday!

With a few creative additions to the stock bike the Great Basin will fit this machine.

You can see the fuel filler cap just barely poking out underneath the kit here. Steve will need the passenger grab bars or simply two small holes in the rear fender and one of those heavy-duty zip ties that he uses on the footrest brackets. A replacement fender for this bike is only $92.00 through KTM-parts.com https://www.ktm-parts.com/mm5/mercha...=7650801300030 . If they don't already, Cycra will probably have the same unit for much less which would allow you to dedicate that rear fender to multi-day rips. That's exactly what I do with my 525 EXC - just get another fender.

Our latest production run of Great Basins will have another 6 inches of strap to allow wrapping directly around the stock passenger footrest brackets but Steve created a loop out of those heavy-duty zip ties then feeds the bags Ballistic Cordura webbing through and back to the cam-lock buckle for a very secure attachment.

Here's another view (right). These are not normal zip ties, they are those super burly units - plumbers sometimes use them in home construction. Don't know exactly the rating but they're plenty in this application.

Steve has the Akro pipe and a kinda hokey shield cobbled on but if it was my machine, I'd install at least one of these supermoto sliders to the pipe and forget all about the heat issue once and for all. - http://www.rg-racing.com/browseType/.../EP0005BK.aspx

Not only will this slider device add heat protection but also help defend your bike in the case of a crash just like the way the saddle bag design does.

To access the fuel filler, the rear connection will need to be loosened or partially removed. I know, what a pain but hey, you're the one that bought this crazy cool bike and boo hoo, every time you stop for fuel (what's that, every 120 miles or so?) it will take you another 1 minute to serve that process. Small price to pay for a much better handling way to carry a load on this righteous bike IMHO.

Steve has this OEM shielding on the pipe too and even if the Ballistic Cordura webbing was touching it (which is isn't) this pipe doesn't get hot enough to melt anything.
There's that heavy duty zip tie again. I'd probably double those up just to be sure.

That unusual sticker on the side of his tank is supposed to look like sea gull poop. Must be English humor.

Here you can clearly see the Fandango fits pretty nicely. I'll get some more photos with Steve on the bike so you can get some perspective of the passenger area. There's plenty of strap to wrap around the trellis frame and the other attachment around the steering head tube up front. It took about 2 minutes. Key access is no problem because of the tailoring that also allows for the vent tube on conventional fuel cells and once the base layer is strapped on the whole bag completely zips off. Has a nice carry handle too. That's a whole different thread though.

Old 08-06-2009, 10:28 AM   #96
wachs OP
just passin' through

No photos of this one but an interesting testimonial worth sharing here.

"Here's a war story for you involving a Great Basin bag:

My brother-in-law and riding buddy Jon has a brand-new (600 miles) 990 Adventure, and was riding home from work on the hottest day of the year two thursdays ago. He was doing 65-70mph on I-5 just south of Woodburn in the center lane.

A guy in an old pickup with bald tires was on his right and my brother was going around him. Just as he pulled up even with the pickup bed, the left front tire blew out explosively, and the driver lost control and swerved to the left very hard.

My brother-in-law didn't even have time to hit the brakes or swerve. The truck hit him hard and threw him across two lanes onto the left shoulder, but miraculously, Jon kept it upright and didn't dump the bike. The guy in the lane to the left, an old hippie, was watching the whole thing and slammed on his brakes as soon as the tire blew, making a buffer zone for Jon.

He got the bike stopped in the median, and the guy who stopped traffic stopped to help and to give a police report.

The bike survived remarkably well... the radiator mounts are bent, and the plastic tank guard, plastic cowl cover, and right side mirror need replacing, but that's it. His two-week-old Great Basin bag was full, and it took most of the impact... he doesn't think the truck ever hit his leg. He can't find any scratches on the bike rear of the tank guard. The Great Basin bag was mostly just dirty, though he did find one abrasion point, and he's wondering if it will still be waterproof there. It's just one 1/8" spot where a wrinkle on the bag rubbed the truck.

His right arm has a large bruise in the shape of the arm padding in his jacket (ATGATT even in hot weather). Overall, it's a shock that he came out so squeaky clean.

The last three digits of his bike's VIN is 777. Maybe that's why.

The whole driver's door on the pickup was caved in, and the mirror destroyed. The door no longer opens."

Old 08-11-2009, 09:09 PM   #97
wachs OP
just passin' through

Another satisified customer

We've been lucky enough to use (abuse lovingly) this customer's machine last winter and again at the Sound Rider Rally in the Gorge a couple weeks ago. In case you don't believe in the intensity of this guy let me show you a photo of him skiing on Mt Bachelor (Oregon).

This was the second time he'd hit this natural feature after over-shooting it by at least 75' - he does not hesitate - the perfect 'test pilot' for our designs!

That's at least a one hundred foot air as he landed outside the image to the left.

Back to motorcycles and his report.

"After working hard all last month, I decided I needed a little break. Saturday morning I packed up a few things for an overnight trip to Winter Ridge in the Fremont National Forest. It has been at least 15 yrs since I had been to Fremont Point so, i figured a night of stealth camping up on the rim would be just what I needed. I missed out on my last trip due to mechanicals. So, I was excited to try out my new Giant Loop luggage.

I made some notes so I wouldn't have to stop and look at the map every 5 min. Mostly I mapped out some big gravel roads that would allow me to make some good time to my intended destination.

I took a couple of smaller connecting trails, that brought me through some pretty cool areas.

As I entered this bid grassy plain called

I saw a Bald eagle take off from it's perch and fly over the lake. I stopped so I could check it out and try and get a picture. It flew pretty far away but, as I watched I noticed another Bald eagle and a couple of falcons(?). I was able to get a pic of a falcon.

After some more big gravel roads I was getting pretty warm so I took a little break at this junction, to lose a layer and have a snack.

From there I cruised up into the hills. Here's a shot of where I came from.

2 yrs ago there was a big fire here and something like 380,000 acres got burned up. I found a route thru some of the burn, it was really cool.

I ended up on the north side of Winter Rim near the town of Summer Lake, I decided to bust the 34 miles of tarmac from there to Paisley and get some fuel for the bike and me. Paisley is on the south end of Winter Rim so from there I road up towards the top. After an hour of riding I had reached my destination.

I enjoyed the view for awhile; then headed north on a little road that paralells the rim to find a campsite.
After riding into a couple of beautiful grassy meadows only to discover they were boulder fields with grass growing around them,I found this killer spot.

It got cold that night at almost 7000', I put on all the clothes I had with me and walked up to the rim to watch it get dark over Summer lake and drink a couple of barley sodas I bought in Paisley.
I jumped in Big Agnes and snuggled up for the nite.

Woke up early and made some oatmeal with chocalate outrage GU topper, and some really strong coffee. The breakfast of champions.

After letting my bag and tent dry off, I packed up Leave No Trace style and hit the dirt.

These were everywhere in my little meadow.

This is the road that parallels the rim, how I started the day. Absolutely beautiful up there.

I took a slightly different route home about 10 miles to the west of my way down. I was caught out in this corner when I washed the front end at about 50mph, let off a little and preceded to highside the bike. I road the windscreen and mirror with my chest for a bit and then slammed over the front. The bike went down hard and landed right on my new bags. I was pretty impressed when I picked up the bike and there was no damage to the luggage. My crash bars looked worse.

You can see where the bag hit the dirt.

The crash bar.

I smacked my knee on the bike going down and bruised it a bit, AttGatt works. My kneegaurds saved me.
From here home it was all big gravel except this sweet pumice road that went for miles.. Triple digits yaa.

Great trip, just what I needed.
The Great Basin luggage worked perfectly. Very well thought out system; I could barely tell it was there.

peace"

You be the judge.

Old 08-11-2009, 09:21 PM   #98
brad21
Farting in a Fan

Oddometer: 3,556
Stihl is a lunatic.

BRC Member #49252 JOIN TODAY! https://www.sharetrails.org/support/join-or-contribute
Old 08-11-2009, 09:37 PM   #99
wachs OP
just passin' through

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad21
Stihl is a lunatic.

Yeah -perfect test pilot!!!!!

Old 08-11-2009, 10:51 PM   #100
Mr. Fisherman
Wishin not fishin.

Oddometer: 10,576
Do you think the Great Basin is too big for a WR250R?

Old 08-12-2009, 03:46 AM   #101
SteveRed
Adventure Mojo

Oddometer: 2,681
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Fisherman
Do you think the Great Basin is too big for a WR250R?

Mmmmm... For the R2 you might be better off with the new Coyote... http://www.giantloopmoto.com/collect...yote-saddlebag

Same bomb proof design but 30Liters instead of 50Liters.

http://www.adventuremoto.com.au
Your ride.. Your adventure!
Old 08-12-2009, 10:46 AM   #102
wachs OP
just passin' through

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveRed
Mmmmm... For the R2 you might be better off with the new Coyote... http://www.giantloopmoto.com/collect...yote-saddlebag

Same bomb proof design but 30Liters instead of 50Liters.
I agree.

There is a couple that rode their KLR250 (2 bikes, not 2 up!) up to Alaska and back using the Great Basin though. Real easy, sit-down riding I'm sure but they were quite pleased with the kit on their smaller machines.

But if it was my choice, I'd go with the COYOTE for sure!

Old 08-12-2009, 11:50 AM   #103
mookymoo
Mookish Mook

Oddometer: 4,374
Thumb

Here is mine on a trip to Spain, through France

I seem to set mine back much further than anyone else...

Its a fantastically well thought out system. The removable compartments, sleeping bag compartment & stuff sacks are excellent!

My only issue is that I cant really ride with it further fwd like most seem to be using it. I find it gets in the way when I stand (maybe because I am taller I get more reach fwd-back on the seat than most - my hips get quite far back if I am braking or descending).
Also, if I have it further fwd, my backpack starts interfering with it when I am seated. (I tend to ride with a climbing backpack that has a proper harness system and carries the weight low on my hips - as a consequence its bulkier at the bottom)

Im well-impressed with it - but would love it more if it had capacity to carry weight lower down - ie longer side-lobes.

I rode through pissing rain for most of the length of France, and nothing got wet. Not even a little damp. I was well-happy with that.
Id used Kriega packs before I got the GL, and my tools in the zippered compartment got wet. After a 2 week trip, they came out with a nice sheen of rust

In one of the side-lobes of the GreatBasin, I carried a Kriega US10 with my spare tubes & tools, etc - it fits perfectly! When dirt bashing, I was able to park the GL at camp and go even lighter - with just the toolkit on the back.

I didnt have an opportunity to crash-test the luggage like some others have ...
But its so sturdy, I had no hesitation laying my bike on top of it (serving as a padded chock) while I did some work on the cooling system.
Old 08-14-2009, 06:49 PM   #104
wachs OP
just passin' through

Quote:
Originally Posted by mookymoo
Here is mine on a trip to Spain, through France

I seem to set mine back much further than anyone else...

Its a fantastically well thought out system. The removable compartments, sleeping bag compartment & stuff sacks are excellent!

Im well-impressed with it - but would love it more if it had capacity to carry weight lower down - ie longer side-lobes.

I rode through pissing rain for most of the length of France, and nothing got wet. Not even a little damp. I was well-happy with that.
Id used Kriega packs before I got the GL, and my tools in the zippered compartment got wet. After a 2 week trip, they came out with a nice sheen of rust

In one of the side-lobes of the GreatBasin, I carried a Kriega US10 with my spare tubes & tools, etc - it fits perfectly! When dirt bashing, I was able to park the GL at camp and go even lighter - with just the toolkit on the back.

I didnt have an opportunity to crash-test the luggage like some others have ...
But its so sturdy, I had no hesitation laying my bike on top of it (serving as a padded chock) while I did some work on the cooling system.

Hey MOOK - Thanks so much for the honest review brotha! We're listening and appreciate the feedback sir!

Crash test close-up

Dave

Old 08-15-2009, 06:37 AM   #105
mookymoo
Mookish Mook

Oddometer: 4,374
Quote:
Originally Posted by wachs
Hey MOOK - Thanks so much for the honest review brotha! We're listening and appreciate the feedback sir!

Crash test close-up

Dave
Yup, its certainly rugged
Its going to get some good crash-testing in Morocco in October (if I can still make it happen)
Closed Thread