Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-28-2009, 09:16 PM   #16
davevv
One more old rider

Oddometer: 2,319
I'm a MOTG AOTT guy. Everything but the riding pants, and I include those if I'm traveling or intend to spend a good bit of time on the bike. I don't bother to put them on though if I'm just running an errand or two.
davevv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 09:47 PM   #17
markk53 OP
jack of all trades...

Oddometer: 7,601
Quote:
Originally Posted by YetiGS
Generally, I wear helmet, jacket, gloves, pants and boots. But I will ride with just jeans sometimes (i.e. skipping the riding pants but with everything else).

Then again, sometimes, a man must ride in stretchy pants.
You mean stretchy pants like Frank Barone's in "Everbody Loves Raymond"?

Also what do a few of you here mean by "pants"? Motorcycling specific pants? I mean I know y'all ain't ridin' in your briefs now, are ya?

Mark - klx678
95 KLX650C w/Vulcan piston bigbore, Now an 09 KLX250S, selling my 90 Zephyr 550

markk53 screwed with this post 02-28-2009 at 09:53 PM
markk53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 02:52 AM   #18
Barry
Just Beastly

Oddometer: 7,083
Minimum Gear:

Helmet
Gloves (mesh in summer)
Jacket (mesh in summer)
Boots
Jeans

ATGATT:

+ Riding pants (mesh in summer)

Jacket / boots / gloves = moto specific gear. Not Members Only (joke for the older guys).

Barry

Do not do business with Myrtle West Cycle... Not a reputable vendor by a long shot.
Barry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 04:04 AM   #19
Ola M
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 139
Helmet, jacket, pants, gloves, boots, back protector.

In the beginning I thought it was very tedious to suit up, but as the leather gear broke in and I got better at suiting up quickly it's a no-brainer. In the summer I also thought about skipping the leathers for my 30-40 mph commute but the advertised TFL Cool System really works.

Quote:
Black leather has always been associated with motorcycle clothes. It has always been like that and is mostly true even today. But there is a problem with black leather – it gets very hot in sunshine. Or rather, this was how it used to be. TFL Cool System® is a revolutionary innovation and means that black leather will not absorb more heat from sunshine than white leather.
http://www.jofama.se/motorcycle_wear...hp?lang=2&id=5

Of course it doesn't feel like it's working when I'm walking around off the bike on the hottest summer day, but when I left it in the sun along with my luggage box (also black) the difference in temp felt like 10 degrees C at least.

I also used to drop the back protector on short rides as it was uncomfortable. Now it, or my torso, has broken in and it's no problem.

I guess I would drop the leathers and boots if I was just doing a very short ride in the city, but I rarely do such rides as everything I need is in walking distance.
Ola M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 05:11 AM   #20
B.Curvin
Feral Chia tamer

Oddometer: 2,694
I think a few pics will be easier.

Me
On the tard

A group of twelve and we're all ATG.

On the streetbike.

I retired these boots. Super comfy and I love wearing them, but I felt they didn't offer enough protection.

About 5 minutes after I broke my medial tibial plateau one month ago.

If I had not been wearing these I have no doubt I would have destroyed my knee.
The full weight of the bike landed on my knee while my leg was bridging a rut.

Porsche Audi VW
B.Curvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 08:07 AM   #21
Effervescent
Sexiest ADVrider '13

Oddometer: 1,797
Full face neon Scorpion 700 helmet, CF neckbrace, kevlar (2x-3x armored) Motoport jacket, Motoport overpants (2X-3X armor) with Aerostich hip armor added, Sidi Corsa boots, alpinestar race gloves, foam rib armor plate by Helmut.

Vented kelvar motoport suit, and vented Sidi boots for the hot stuff.

I'm pretty much ready to bounce off anything.

-Eff
Old 03-01-2009, 08:28 AM   #22
Philander
Someday...

Oddometer: 346
If there is any highway involved:

Olympia AST hi-viz jacket
Shoei full face helmet
gloves
Sidi boots
Joe Rocket Ballistic overpants
All of this no matter what the temp is. From 0c to about 15c I wear a liner in the AST and have winter gloves.
From 15c to 30c I STILL wear all the gear, I just open all the ventilation and sweat alot

Local streets in my town:

Cloth 'casual' motorcycle jacket with armour
full face
gloves
Sidi boots
jeans

I have only ridden once without the gloves. I just felt really exposed, as there are no handguards on my 650CS. Rode once in shoes instaed of boots and just didn't feel very comfortable.

On the other hand, I'm a volunteer firefighter and have seen what happens to people who wipe out at even medium speeds, say 40-70km/h. Not pretty and not something I want to experience
Philander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 08:29 AM   #23
artyboy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 91
Full face helmet, boots, gloves, jacket and jeans minimum. I just got a pair of Cortech riding pants with the leather liners and knee pucks. I usually wear those.
artyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 09:40 AM   #24
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 10,882
Quote:
Originally Posted by markk53

What, for you, is ATG? What are you wearing when fully outfitted with what you call All The Gear?
Armored boots, armored pants, armored jacket, full face helmet and thick leather gloves.

Quote:
What might you consider the least amount of gear for you when you may not go ATG? What is absolutely indispensable?
I Never go without ATG; everything is indispensable. The least amount is everything I just listed.

Quote:
Do you find you may wear some gear mainly for reasons other than safety?
Comfort from the elements
LuciferMutt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 11:23 AM   #25
d'Artagnan1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 169
Shoei RF-1000 w/ appropriate combinations of clear or tinted shields and/or Pinlock anti-fog shields as conditions warrant
Earplugs
Olympia AST or AirGlide Jacket depending on weather
Various MC gloves depending upon weather
Olympia Airglide pants w/ or w/o various liners
Gaerne boots
Cell phone
ID and emergency contact info

All for One, and One for All
d'Artagnan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 11:49 AM   #26
Kootenai Rider
Displaced Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,256
I'm a newer rider and have not ridden ATGATT here in my first year when street riding, and having since joined ADV here recently, I am kicking myself for that after reading all of these first hand accounts, and the "what is the strangest thing you've hit/almost hit" thread. I've always ridden in helmet, gloves, and decent jacket, but not consistent elsewhere. I am reconsidering all that. I finally got off my butt and bought a good street helmet (Arai XD) and though I've had a Tourmaster jacket, I am looking at the Kihlamajaro or Scorpion Jacket, and some better street pants. I usually wear my Fly Racing MX pants, but those do not offer much protection on the street.

Riding offroad bikes I am always geared up with all the MX gear, (knee/elbow protection,KBC helmet, goggles, gloves, Thor boots,Fly chest protector, Fly racing pants) So I wondered why I haven't geared up as much on road. I have changed that.

Reading this thread though, I see a lot of mention of gearing up less for those short trips. Isn't the statistics about auto accidents something about how most auto accidents happen within just a few miles of the house? (You are statistically more likely to be near your house and let your guard down as they are familiar surroundings. ) So doesn't stand to say that you shouldn't lighten up the gear even/especially on those short trips?

--Paul

2012 KTM 250XC-W "Ginger"
Kootenai Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 01:52 PM   #27
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kootenai Rider
Isn't the statistics about auto accidents something about how most auto accidents happen within just a few miles of the house? (You are statistically more likely to be near your house and let your guard down as they are familiar surroundings. ) So doesn't stand to say that you shouldn't lighten up the gear even/especially on those short trips?
It is a statistic. Most people never ride more than a few miles from their house. Everyone leaves and goes back to their house...

Of course it is going to be higher.

That said, I am ATG even on the short trips.
Old 03-01-2009, 01:56 PM   #28
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Oddometer: 12,963
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kootenai Rider
Isn't the statistics about auto accidents something about how most auto accidents happen within just a few miles of the house?

The reality for me, and I'm sure it is similar for a lot of people is that on a typical day I am rarely farther than 20 miles from my house. My wife has me beat as she's typically 5 miles from the house. If that 5-20 mile circle is where we do the majority of our driving, then of course most of our auto accidents are going to happen 5-20 miles from our house.

You can be Han Solo, and I can be another Han Solo...
Boon Booni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 01:58 PM   #29
DBrentMiller
Sojourn Chronicles

Oddometer: 449
After writing my series of searching for the perfect riding pants, I decided to add a new poll to my web site: What Motorcycle Gear Do You Wear?

I added the poll this morning. My readers are not all Adv Riders. The one split is on the pants armored pants vs. jeans. You can vote at www.SojournChronicles.com. The March Poll question is in the right hand column. It's not scientific, but it is an indication.

D. Brent Miller, writer, photographer, producer
www.DBrentMiller.com, Publisher of Sojourn Chronicles,
Sojourn Chronicles on Facebook
Currently riding a 2008 Suzuki V-Strom DL650, and 2014.5 Kawasaki KLR 650
DBrentMiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 06:01 PM   #30
Human Ills
Useful Idiom

Oddometer: 21,791
Helmet, Kilamanjaro Hi-viz (love it), Firstgear pants (love them), gloves and work boots.

I'll wear jeans if I'm staying in town.
I feel way more comfortable geared up.
Human Ills is online now   Reply With Quote