Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-19-2010, 05:29 PM   #136
bmwblake
upside down parker

Oddometer: 3,282
i mounted my rear distanzia about 90 miles ago and so far i'm loving it. i need to hit some gravel before i give it 2 thumbs up.

putts, good luck with the kendas. i've experienced nothing but mild suckage from anything with their name on it.
bmwblake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 06:25 AM   #137
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,419
Report from down south:

So, I have to give the Mefos a so-so review. Yes, they do last quite a while and they ride quite well on the road for how knobby they are. I´m currently somewhere around 10k on my rear with maybe another 2k left and the front lasted about the same, but all of us who´ve been running these have experienced uneven and WEIRD wear patterns which has resulted in some seriously wonky handling on higher mileage tires. I ditched my front with a fair amount of meat left on it because it was handling so weird. Several of us have also experienced large cracks on the inside of the tire big enough to pinch tubes and cause flat after flat until we realized it was a cracked tire. I also just noticed a huge crack on the outside of the tread the other day as well. I have a Pirelli MT60 on the front right now and a rear waiting to go on when the MEFO shits the bed. Add the MT60 to the list BRAD! They´re pretty good tires, CHEAPish, and available in G/S and GS sizes.

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.
Airhead Wrangler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 04:04 PM   #138
bgoodsoil OP
Dare to be Stupid

Oddometer: 4,334
something I've learned from making this thread: foreign tires aren't necessarily more expensive because they're better. They're more expensive because they're foreign.

The Heidenau's sound similar. I've read good reviews but can they really be that much better?

Proud SmugMug User Support ADV: Don't give those cheap bums your discount code
bgoodsoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 04:51 PM   #139
Putts
Gettin' there.

Oddometer: 11,343
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwblake
putts, good luck with the kendas. i've experienced nothing but mild suckage from anything with their name on it.
You get what you pay for.

I'll be sure to let you know how much I hated wearing them out.

Old 01-27-2010, 12:38 PM   #140
KhaoSanMan
Airhead

Oddometer: 577
Just got off the phone with Motorcycle Superstore. Their Shipping policy is FREE Shipping on all tires, unless you want 3-day shipping. Of course their prices are higher to offset that, just thought I would let you all know.

#3 - BMW Motorrad Mull aus der Hölle
KhaoSanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 08:24 AM   #141
bgoodsoil OP
Dare to be Stupid

Pirelli MT-60s have been added. How did I miss those things?

I updated the dealer section on Motorcycle Superstore.

Quote:
Offer excludes: tires, oils or chemicals, or any item designated as either oversized or overweight which will default to ground shipping.
I wonder why they don't add that shipping is still free but that it will take more than 3 days via ground shipping?

Old 01-31-2010, 08:52 AM   #142
StephenB
G(/)S ... what else!

Oddometer: 2,046
Heidenau K60 for G/S available

I enquired with the official Heidenau importer on G/S sizes: they are available.

http://www.reifenwerk-heidenau.de/mo...ofil=38&pic=48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto_Amore
Hello,
It's not that I won't stock that size, it's that this, I believe is the first time I've been asked for it.
I do have on hand right now a K60 110/80-18 58S and a 100/90-19 57H.
John B

Come check me out at http://www.moto-amore.com/
and www.heidenauusa.com

To: motoamore@hotmail.com

I am looking for rear Heidenau K60 tires for 1981-1987 R80GS, sizes are as follows:

T-rated (118mph)
120/80 - 18 M/C 62 T
120/90 - 18 M/C 71 T

Heidenau also makes the

S-rated (112mph)
4.10 - 18 60S
4.00 - 18 64S

There are rumours you would not import those sizes? Is that true and is there a reason?

Thank you very much for letting me know. This issue is discussed on ADVrider.com in various threads and the owners of 1st generation Airhead GS is particularly interested in that tire.
So, nobody ever enquired on G/S sizes? Strange.

Some of the above is fact, some is fiction, some is my personal imagination and some is just simple truth. [me]

... i'm not touring around the world, but neither are most of the guys i see running overloaded spam cans ... [bmwblake]

Stephen Bottcher
Ontario, Canada

'72 R75/5 The Blues

www.stephenbottcher.net

StephenB screwed with this post 01-31-2010 at 08:59 AM
StephenB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 10:18 AM   #143
Putts
Gettin' there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenB
I enquired with the official Heidenau importer on G/S sizes: they are available.

http://www.reifenwerk-heidenau.de/mo...ofil=38&pic=48
Those are good looking tires. Did they give you a price?
Old 01-31-2010, 10:52 AM   #144
StephenB
G(/)S ... what else!

Nope, I was only asking availability.

Some of the above is fact, some is fiction, some is my personal imagination and some is just simple truth. [me]

... i'm not touring around the world, but neither are most of the guys i see running overloaded spam cans ... [bmwblake]

Stephen Bottcher
Ontario, Canada

'72 R75/5 The Blues

www.stephenbottcher.net
Old 01-31-2010, 12:47 PM   #145
Lornce
Lost In Place

Oddometer: 17,838
Quote:
Originally Posted by datchew
I've gone through 3 sets of tourances and I can say they're great on the road, especially in the wet. I've felt confident turning on 40-50mph roads in standing water when SUV's are pulled over to the side because it's raining so hard. They last a LOOONG time, but the last 2 front tires have had a slight hop to them which is very frustrating.

I'm interested in the TKC-80's, but honestly, I do almost zero offroad, so unless they're as good as the tourances in the wet, I have no reason to go to them, despite that I think they look real nice.

*edit* After reading up on everything, my next set will either be scorpion AT's, TKC's or enduro 3 saharas. Price will most likely be the decision maker.

Just noticed this post.

'Chew, if you don't ride offroad save yor money. TKC's evaporate in road use.
Lornce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 01:04 PM   #146
Infracaninophile
Finding My Way..

Oddometer: 7,514
G/S size for rear?

I want to mount a rear TKC 80 on the G/S. I think it's supposed to have a 120/80 18". That's what is on there now. I don't think Continental makes one in that size. In that case, are you using 120/90 18's?

The manual says 4.00-18. Does that equate to 120?

Looking to change tires soon.

Thanks,

Tom
Infracaninophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 01:52 PM   #147
StephenB
G(/)S ... what else!

It's just an aspect ratio, both should fit fine. The 120/90-18 has a slightly larger diamater (1in) than the 120/80-18. The 4.00x18 is a (decimal) 102/100-18 and is a tad smaller than the 120/80-18 in tire diameter.

Use this calculator: http://www.csgnetwork.com/tireinfo4calc.html

Stephen Bottcher
Ontario, Canada

'72 R75/5 The Blues

www.stephenbottcher.net

StephenB screwed with this post 02-05-2010 at 01:57 PM
Old 04-18-2010, 12:48 PM   #148
bgoodsoil OP
Dare to be Stupid

The rear IRC GP-110 was bald at 6,000 miles. I should've replaced it back at 5,000.

They're good tires. $130 a set for the G/S which isn't cheap but at least it's on the cheap end. They look cool. Mileage is about average for a 50/50 dual sport tire but they're listed as 90/10s. They handled better offroad than the Distanzias so I think the 90/10 rating is off.

Conspiracy Theory of the Week: they might've put the 90/10 rating on the tires because more folks buy 90/10s than 50/50s

I mounted a rear Distanzia today.....backwards. Okay, I screwed up but I thought it'd be an opportunity to see if the whole 'backwards tire' thing really changes performance much. I'll cautiously take it on the road this afternoon. If it's okay I'll try it in the woods.

bgoodsoil screwed with this post 04-18-2010 at 01:05 PM
Old 04-18-2010, 02:18 PM   #149
bgoodsoil OP
Dare to be Stupid

I took a few laps around the neighborhood then worked it up to highway speeds. I swerved and shook the handlebar and the bike handled fine.

I went riding with Jenna yesterday and hit some mud on my bald tire. Of course, the rear wheel went all over the place. I rode through that same mud today and it wasn't as bad. Still a little slippage but not much. I have incontrovertibly proven that a backwards Distanzia is better than a bald tire

I think arbitrarily using something in a way that it's not intended is a bad idea. I need to spin that tire around before it rains. It might even handle fine in the rain but it's not worth risking my life to find out.

If you see my bike at the Old School rally next weekend and the tire's on backwards you'll know I got lazy

Old 04-23-2010, 09:19 AM   #150
Putts
Gettin' there.

Just reporting back in that the Kendas are like riding around on gummie bears. Maybe when the knobs wear down some it'll be less noticeable, but I'm getting more expensive tires next time.