User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-03-2010, 02:52 PM   #166
bgoodsoil OP
Dare to be Stupid

Oddometer: 4,283

IRC GP-110

14,000 miles on the front tire. Notice the uneven wear. My fork's a bit twisted and it ran on one side. If I let go of the handlebar it'd go right.

I went way past the safe limit on this one but I was on a road trip. I should've swapped to a new Distanzia but I figured the old one had a few thousand left on it. And it did.....just didn't have 5,000 left on it

Proud SmugMug User Support ADV: Don't give those cheap bums your discount code
bgoodsoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 04:34 PM   #167
azcycle
Chihuahua Wrangler

Oddometer: 707
+1 on that. Because my bike came with the Kenda 270s on it, and I haven't been on any other tires, I couldn't compare. But I completely agree with you guys... they just feel too "squishy"

I'm interested in keeping some dual-sport tires on the bike, but less aggressive. The 270s are 50/50 and I was thinking of the Kenda 761 if I can find them in the size I need.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwblake
that's the most fitting description i've heard for them. i could never quite accurately express that feeling in words.
Quote:
Originally Posted by [B
Putts[/B]]
Just reporting back in that the Kendas are like riding around on gummie bears. Maybe when the knobs wear down some it'll be less noticeable, but I'm getting more expensive tires next time.

Old 06-04-2010, 07:52 AM   #168
bmwblake
upside down parker

Oddometer: 3,278
i haven't heard much mention of them so i'll make an addition. i put on an mt21 rear for a mostly dirt ride i did earlier this week. i left the distanzia front on the bike mainly due to a lack of decision on which front i should use.

the mt21 rear was great on rocks and mud and even did well on the highway for 60 miles. you really only notice how knobby it is when you're going really slow on pavement. i'm sure it wont last long, but it's great for throwing rocks at your friends.

bmwblake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 06:26 PM   #169
bmwblake
upside down parker

michelin T63 report.

i recently put on a T63 rear in quebec to ride the translab. i ran a tkc front for the entire trip but wanted to swap my rear from the distanzia to a knobbier tire mainly in case the road was wet for most of the ride.

i thought about putting the distanzia back on after the road became paved again but never stopped to do so. suprisingly, the T63 rear is still in great shape after 3k miles total, many of which were at 75mph+ on the slab coming home. i ran the rear at 30psi the entire time.

i don't have a pic of the current condition, but you can get a fair shot of the tread here

they are a 'tube type' tire and i'm running them on a tubeless rim. i haven't had any air loss or other issues. you can get a front and rear T63 for less than the front tkc. this just became my favorite rear tire. i'll get a T63 front when the tkc is dead.
Old 07-24-2010, 06:31 PM   #170
bgoodsoil OP
Dare to be Stupid

if the rear lasts even 6k it's a deal since they're so cheap

Old 11-05-2010, 02:04 PM   #171
bmwblake
upside down parker

T63 update. i just pulled the rear with 5700 miles on it. the only reason i pulled it was that my front TKC was dead and the 6006 front i had on for a bit was also dead. this T63 rear is staying around for some future usage. i bought a new set for 105 bucks.

take note that at least 3000 of those miles were pavement much of it fully loaded and running at interstate speeds.

closeup:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgoodsoil
if the rear lasts even 6k it's a deal since they're so cheap
Old 11-05-2010, 05:36 PM   #172
bgoodsoil OP
Dare to be Stupid

wow, that still looks pretty good at 5700. I've got a brand new set waiting to be put on. My front Avon's mostly bald but I'm going to push it for a few more months. I'm commuting a lot this semester and I don't want to run my T63s into the ground. I can't wait to try out these T63s.

Thanks for the pic!

Old 12-06-2010, 12:47 PM   #173
2xdisco
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwblake View Post
T63 update. i just pulled the rear with 5700 miles on it. the only reason i pulled it was that my front TKC was dead and the 6006 front i had on for a bit was also dead. this T63 rear is staying around for some future usage. i bought a new set for 105 bucks.

take note that at least 3000 of those miles were pavement much of it fully loaded and running at interstate speeds.

closeup:
blake, you went back to the t-63 then? i can not deside between the shinko 244,700 or the M. t-63s for the g/s, i have some streetable kendas on there now but need something more aggressive for the winter scouting.
98 vtr1000 superhawk (fun)sold
2xdisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 12:54 PM   #174
2xdisco
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgoodsoil View Post
wow, that still looks pretty good at 5700. I've got a brand new set waiting to be put on. My front Avon's mostly bald but I'm going to push it for a few more months. I'm commuting a lot this semester and I don't want to run my T63s into the ground. I can't wait to try out these T63s.

Thanks for the pic!
BG. have you tried any of the shinko tires, a fellow from PA riding a g/s likes the 244, haven't heard anyone on the 700 series, they are wicked cheep. 244 are 63$ a set and the 700 are 83$ a set. i am not sure which one is more aggressive, as i have heard arguments from both sides, as to which is more meaty. shinko states: 244s= 70/30 and 700s 60/40 (on/0ff) road. i like the looks of the t-63s though.
Old 12-06-2010, 01:07 PM   #175
bmwblake
upside down parker

i have a set of new T63 front and rear ready to mount. i didn't have any dirt rides planned so i mounted a partially used set of distanzias for now. i'll be swapping back and forth between the T63 and distanzias depending on my riding needs.

i ran some kendas last year and wasn't that pleased. i killed the rear in less than 3k miles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2xdisco View Post
blake, you went back to the t-63 then? i can not deside between the shinko 244,700 or the M. t-63s for the g/s, i have some streetable kendas on there now but need something more aggressive for the winter scouting.
Old 12-06-2010, 06:40 PM   #176
bgoodsoil OP
Dare to be Stupid

:I haven't tried any of the shinkos yet. I haven't had a car for years but I'm going to get one next year. I'll be more willing to stray from Distanzias into more offroady tires when I don't put 2500 miles a month on my tires.

Even so, the t-63s are still just $100 a set and they're Michelins. It's hard to take a chance on an unheard-of asian tire company when I get Michelins for not much more.

edit: upside down parker that's great

Old 12-07-2010, 06:23 AM   #177
bmwblake
upside down parker

glad you enjoyed that. it's the alternative method for checking tread depth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgoodsoil View Post
:I haven't tried any of the shinkos yet. I haven't had a car for years but I'm going to get one next year. I'll be more willing to stray from Distanzias into more offroady tires when I don't put 2500 miles a month on my tires.

Even so, the t-63s are still just $100 a set and they're Michelins. It's hard to take a chance on an unheard-of asian tire company when I get Michelins for not much more.

edit: upside down parker that's great
Old 12-07-2010, 08:22 AM   #178
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,306
Avon Distanzia for sure, settled on them for two supermotos and a street bike even and since they offered enough off road traction to wheelie and so good on the road they were really no different than a super sport tyre, they were the best.
Old 12-07-2010, 06:12 PM   #179
hardwaregrrl
ignore list

Oddometer: 7,070
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwblake View Post
glad you enjoyed that. it's the alternative method for checking tread depth.
Oh, is that what you were doing. I can't come up with a reason......but I'm workin' on it!
hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 03:01 AM   #180
2xdisco
Gnarly Adventurer

jenna,

have you tried the t63s. nathan i think used a set but did not give a definitive answer when i asked him.

jim