Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-08-2010, 09:00 AM   #181
bmwblake
upside down parker

Oddometer: 3,276
tread depth/skid plate inspection. you're welcome to say you were just following me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardwaregrrl View Post
Oh, is that what you were doing. I can't come up with a reason......but I'm workin' on it!
bmwblake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 12:20 PM   #182
2xdisco
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 220
blake,
i saw some of jenna's pic on that outing. i am sorry i missed it, mark said you all had a blast. i had a funeral. but i am expected at the spring rally.

jim
98 vtr1000 superhawk (fun)sold
2xdisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 04:28 PM   #183
One Less Harley
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

Oddometer: 4,579
I think this is one of those unretouched photos, Blake just wants attention Don't comment too much it'll only give him a big head.
2003 Suzuki DRZ 400S (TAT Prep)
One More DRZ does the TAT (Ride Report)

One Less Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 07:53 AM   #184
bmwblake
upside down parker

you have no idea how hard we worked to stage that photo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Less Harley View Post
I think this is one of those unretouched photos, Blake just wants attention Don't comment too much it'll only give him a big head.
Old 01-07-2011, 09:22 AM   #185
herb28
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwblake View Post
michelin T63 report.
they are a 'tube type' tire and i'm running them on a tubeless rim. i haven't had any air loss or other issues. you can get a front and rear T63 for less than the front tkc. this just became my favorite rear tire. i'll get a T63 front when the tkc is dead.
I'm serious aout putting some of these on my GS. When you said you were running them on the tubless rim (stock GS rim I assume) did you mean you were running them without a tube? I was figuring to stuff a tube in there.

Does everyone still like these things? They would save a bunch over the TKC's.

thanks
Old 01-07-2011, 12:39 PM   #186
bmwblake
upside down parker

i ran them on the stock r100gs tubeless rim with no tube.

Quote:
Originally Posted by herb28 View Post
I'm serious aout putting some of these on my GS. When you said you were running them on the tubless rim (stock GS rim I assume) did you mean you were running them without a tube? I was figuring to stuff a tube in there.

Does everyone still like these things? They would save a bunch over the TKC's.

thanks
Old 01-07-2011, 02:59 PM   #187
fishkens
Further...

Oddometer: 5,147
Love this thread - thanks for putting it together.

The post below showed up on the oilhead thread. Apparently they're supposed to be available in February. Has anyone heard anything about them yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdave-gs View Post
Kenda’s Big Block is the brand’s first tire for adventure bikes. It’s scheduled to begin shipping before the end of the year. Kenda says it designed the tire specifically to meet the demands of high-powered adventure motorcycles such as those from Yamaha's new Super Tenere, BMW, KTM and Suzuki. Large tread blocks improve tread wear and high-speed handling. A high-impact, bias-ply casing structure resists punctures. A bias-belted casing improves handling and stability. The rubber mound was designed specifically for wet and dry packed terrain. The Big Block is DOT- and E-mark-approved and will be available in front sizes 110/80-19, 100/90-19 and 90/90-21 and rear sizes 150/70-17, 150/70-18, 130/80-17 and 140/80-18.

Old 01-07-2011, 05:33 PM   #188
hardwaregrrl
You talkin' to me?

Oddometer: 6,724
Well....

I thought about starting a thread on the picture you see below...

P1040712

But I'll just post it here. Yes that's Brad aka Bgoodsoil with a 'stich on. A donated one. But he is also wearing a new pair of T-63, I had half used TKC's on and he couldn't stop talking about the stick in those tires! Given the cost and the lasting nature of this tire, I think Blake has been on to something all along. Big thumbs up for nasty, muddy, rutted, hillclimbs. Check em out...

P1040713
hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 05:46 PM   #189
One Less Harley
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

Oddometer: 4,579
Bitchn' Brad gets out of school then wear a 'stitch, what's the world coming to......Jenna on a Duck (Ducati)
2003 Suzuki DRZ 400S (TAT Prep)
One More DRZ does the TAT (Ride Report)

One Less Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 07:32 PM   #190
bgoodsoil OP
Dare to be Stupid

Oddometer: 4,205
As soon as I put the suit on I had this weird urge to go get a latte

The t63s wandered like crazy in the deep highway rain grooves near here. I pushed them to 80 mph on a clean stretch of road and they handled fine though. A little twitchy but I'd expect that from knobbies. Jenna noticed that they seem a lot rounder than the TKCs so they might be twitchier because of that. The knobs are smaller than TKCs but there's more of them.

They stuck like flypaper in the dirt. We hit mud and churned up dirt from logging vehicles and they held well. You get a feel for your bike after a lot of miles and I've run Distanzias for a while. I'd hit a slope and expect my rear wheel to slide....but it didn't. After a little riding I started to depend on them to hold and I was able to ride faster than usual.

Offroad they're great. I wish they weren't so twitchy on the road but my DR turns sharper than the stock forks(less offset on the triples) so on a stock G/S it shouldn't be as pronounced.

56k on the odo when I put them on last night. I'll take pics when I hit 5k or so.

btw, those trails ROCKED. holycrapthatwasfun! I'd go tomorrow if it wasn't for the storm about to hit Georgia.
Attached Images

Proud SmugMug User Support ADV: Don't give those cheap bums your discount code
bgoodsoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 11:20 AM   #191
bmwblake
upside down parker

the stich looks good on you. you'll get over the latte urge in a few months.

glad you like the tires. i haven't run a T63 front yet so the front might have a twitch on the highway. i have a new set waiting to be mounted once i have a dirt ride planned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgoodsoil View Post
As soon as I put the suit on I had this weird urge to go get a latte

The t63s wandered like crazy in the deep highway rain grooves near here. I pushed them to 80 mph on a clean stretch of road and they handled fine though. A little twitchy but I'd expect that from knobbies. Jenna noticed that they seem a lot rounder than the TKCs so they might be twitchier because of that. The knobs are smaller than TKCs but there's more of them.

They stuck like flypaper in the dirt. We hit mud and churned up dirt from logging vehicles and they held well. You get a feel for your bike after a lot of miles and I've run Distanzias for a while. I'd hit a slope and expect my rear wheel to slide....but it didn't. After a little riding I started to depend on them to hold and I was able to ride faster than usual.

Offroad they're great. I wish they weren't so twitchy on the road but my DR turns sharper than the stock forks(less offset on the triples) so on a stock G/S it shouldn't be as pronounced.

56k on the odo when I put them on last night. I'll take pics when I hit 5k or so.

btw, those trails ROCKED. holycrapthatwasfun! I'd go tomorrow if it wasn't for the storm about to hit Georgia.
Old 01-10-2011, 10:09 PM   #192
bgoodsoil OP
Dare to be Stupid

Oddometer: 4,205
I'm not too happy with the feel of the front. I think I'll try a Duro front (wide and flat) with the t63 rear and see what that does.

I'll add the Kenda Big Block when I get a chance. Doesn't look like they make them to fit the G/S. 17" has become almost standard for rears and the G/S has an 18. I wonder how hard it'll be to find rear tires for a G/S 20 years from now.

Proud SmugMug User Support ADV: Don't give those cheap bums your discount code
bgoodsoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 08:21 AM   #193
hardwaregrrl
You talkin' to me?

Oddometer: 6,724
Quote:
Originally Posted by One Less Harley View Post
Bitchn' Brad gets out of school then wear a 'stitch, what's the world coming to......Jenna on a Duck (Ducati)
Now Richard, you do realize that my very good friend owns NPR Ducati. I've ridden several Ducks, just not my cup of tea. I'll stick to speeding tickets in the car

hardwaregrrl screwed with this post 01-12-2011 at 07:34 AM
hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 02:16 AM   #194
davorallyfan
Commonist

Oddometer: 15,380
Mitas EO7 for the rear
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=316665

Love you long time.
Old 01-12-2011, 06:06 AM   #195
parkerfe
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 143
I'm happy with the new Metzler Six Day Extreme tires I recently put on my KTM 450EXCR...They're DOT legal rate aggressive enough for single track riding.