Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-15-2011, 12:53 PM   #211
bgoodsoil OP
Dare to be Stupid

Oddometer: 4,419
Mine felt scary at first but it felt like it was the front that wanted to wander not the rear. Maybe it was both. I'm still waiting to see what mileage I get out of the t63 but I think we have a consensus that the rounded profile gives them poor handling at highway speeds.

Proud SmugMug User Support ADV: Don't give those cheap bums your discount code
bgoodsoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 01:33 PM   #212
bmwblake
upside down parker

Oddometer: 3,274
i haven't run the t63 front yet, but i didn't have any highway issues with the rear when running a tkc front. after about 1k of non highway miles the rear was rock steady for 2.5k of highway with no weirdness at all. sounds like it might take some breakin to flatten it out a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgoodsoil View Post
Mine felt scary at first but it felt like it was the front that wanted to wander not the rear. Maybe it was both. I'm still waiting to see what mileage I get out of the t63 but I think we have a consensus that the rounded profile gives them poor handling at highway speeds.
bmwblake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 06:51 PM   #213
Rucksta
SS Blowhard

Oddometer: 2,658
For those playing with T63s have you checked out Michelin AC10?

It won't go the distance of a T63 on the h-way but you'll enjoy it more in the mud and it's cheaper, dot approved and has a 64 R rating so will handle loads at above h-way speeds.

Designed as a 'Rally Raid' tyre without the weight penaty of the heavy contruction tyre.
Old 04-21-2011, 10:42 PM   #214
bgoodsoil OP
Dare to be Stupid

I'm almost due for a new tire. I'll look into it.

Also, I don't see it listed on the first page so I need to do some updating.

edit: I think I know why I didn't list these. They have a 80/100-21 front, not 90/90 though it might work. Also, they've got a 120/90-18 rear not a 120/80. Also, might work. $140 a set. I'm willing to try it. I'll order a set when I wear down the t63s.

bgoodsoil screwed with this post 04-21-2011 at 10:54 PM
Old 04-22-2011, 04:08 AM   #215
hardwaregrrl
ignore list

Oddometer: 7,240
T 63

edit:

So, have about 500 commuting miles on these. Not a commuter tire, but unfortunately, I have to ride to work. The tire is much more stable but still has the tendency to wander. Hey, don't we all. Still unstable over newer surfaces above 70 with those crazy rain grooves, doesn't get along with tar snakes, and vibrates like crazy under 10mph. Don't know when I'll have time to play in the dirt, but I know these tires are good for it, wish I could do that the majority of the time.
hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 11:46 AM   #216
elmontanero
Practicing...

Oddometer: 1,748
http://www.metzelermoto.com/web/cata.../enduro_street

Okay... if it's listed in the catalogue, why can't I get the Tourance 120/80 18 for my g/s? No one carries it as far as I can tell.

K/elmontanero
Old 06-24-2011, 01:41 PM   #217
bgoodsoil OP
Dare to be Stupid

Here's my t63 at 4k

The lugs are almost gone at the center. Tire life is related to acceleration and I leave most lights on one wheel so I think most riders would get more than 4,000 miles out of a rear. That big gash is a different matter though. The same thing happened to Jenna's and she rides like a person with sense. I've got several more on this tire too. What can I say--they're cheap tires. Despite the brand name, the quality seems equal to the price.

I ordered some Kenda k270s from Cycle Gear today. $97 for both tires, free 3-day shipping, and they'll balance the tires for free.

bgoodsoil screwed with this post 06-24-2011 at 01:49 PM
Old 06-24-2011, 10:22 PM   #218
Rucksta
SS Blowhard

Oddometer: 2,658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rucksta View Post
For those playing with T63s have you checked out Michelin AC10?

It won't go the distance of a T63 on the h-way but you'll enjoy it more in the mud and it's cheaper, dot approved and has a 64 R rating so will handle loads at above h-way speeds.

Designed as a 'Rally Raid' tyre without the weight penaty of the heavy contruction tyre.
Forget about it.
Whatever they've done to these tyres I don't like it.

Squirmy, murder on wet bitumen.
Good on hard pack but so are less agressive tyres.
Danger in mud, good straight line traction but no predictable lateral stability.

I liked it in sand, may keep it for my next beach ride or throw it on a lighter bike sometime and see if that gets over the squirm.

Did about 600km (mixed riding) wear was good but no longer worth the money at any price
Old 07-02-2011, 07:26 PM   #219
fishkens
Further...

Oddometer: 5,147
Still one of the best threads here...

Does anyone have anything to report on the new Kenda Big Block tires?

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...Rear-Tire.aspx

fishkens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 07:58 PM   #220
onaXR
Druid

Oddometer: 2,086
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishkens View Post

I ran a set on rear 1800 miles and gone, (950 ktm). Did everything well during those miles. I dont plan on spooning them on the gs.
Old 07-03-2011, 10:12 AM   #221
hardwaregrrl
ignore list

Oddometer: 7,240
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishkens View Post

Just too damn expensive!!! Were more than tkc's, originally, and apparently nowhere the longevity. Just ordered some shinko 244. Hoping to mud em up over the next few weeks. I think we'll pit them against the shinko 270's that Brad ordered.

hardwaregrrl screwed with this post 07-04-2011 at 04:22 PM
hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 10:20 AM   #222
OLD GREEN
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 455
I've got a couple of slices like this on a T63 with only about 2,500 miles on it, not sure I would buy them again. They were cheap though.

Quote:
Here's my t63 at 4k

The lugs are almost gone at the center. Tire life is related to acceleration and I leave most lights on one wheel so I think most riders would get more than 4,000 miles out of a rear. That big gash is a different matter though. The same thing happened to Jenna's and she rides like a person with sense. I've got several more on this tire too. What can I say--they're cheap tires. Despite the brand name, the quality seems equal to the price.

I ordered some Kenda k270s from Cycle Gear today. $97 for both tires, free 3-day shipping, and they'll balance the tires for free.
OLD GREEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 10:34 AM   #223
bgoodsoil OP
Dare to be Stupid

Here are the K270s on the bike. The rear is one of the skinniest 120s I've ever seen. It looks like it'd fit on a bicycle. Also, the tires are very round. It makes the bike feel super responsive. I touch that bar and the bike leans. Even taking a corner normally I feel like the bike is leaning over far more than on the t63s. Of course, they're brand new and a few hundred miles will likely soften that. When I leaned it over very far the bike went down. I wrecked twice trying to do donuts. They're brand new tires though so they still might have the silicon residue on them. Besides, I'm pretty sure they weren't designed for dragging valve covers on a BMW

One big plus for me: these are the easiest tires to mount I've ever bought. I mounted the first bead on both tires with my thumbs, no tire levers needed. The bead's seated easily too which is a nice change from fighting those Distanzias on.

Old 07-03-2011, 08:43 PM   #224
Lornce
Lost In Place

Oddometer: 17,882
Quote:
One big plus for me: these are the easiest tires to mount I've ever bought. I mounted the first bead on both tires with my thumbs, no tire levers needed. The bead's seated easily too which is a nice change from fighting those Distanzias on.
That's because they have absolutely no sidewall carcass strength to speak of. I've only used those tires on dualsport singles (KLR and DR650) and they work okay for gravel roads and trails, but they're down right frightening on a twisty paved road. Rear folds under itself in corners and feels like you're riding on a flat.

They're dirt cheap, though.

Lornce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 11:55 AM   #225
bgoodsoil OP
Dare to be Stupid

I noticed that feeling. I thought it had something to do with the roundness/skinniness of the tire but that makes sense. I haven't done any twisties yet. I don't mind wrecking my bike but I like to keep it under 15 mph when I do I'll take it easy on that first corner.