Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-25-2011, 09:40 PM   #256
CoyoteCowboy
Easily Distracted

Oddometer: 308
Just had a look at the mitasmx website, looks like really good prices and free shipping in the US. According to their website, the yellow striped tires are the FIM Enduro tires, and the Dakar knobbies have one more ply then their other offerings.

Definately worth a look!!

[edit] they also own Trellborg and are closing the brand out, so you Husqvarna guys that want to keep Trellborgs on your left-kickers better act fast, they won't be available much longer!!
Old 08-26-2011, 05:29 AM   #257
red bud
alky w/motorcycle problem

Oddometer: 5,372
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardwaregrrl View Post
So.....I wouldn't recommend taking gravel corners at speed on the Shinko 244 "Golden Boy".

Whoops?!

damn it girl

"red bud has anyone ever told u you're bit of an ass" bmwblake

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=706516
red bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 11:22 AM   #258
JamesOn2Wheels
Banned

Oddometer: 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoyoteCowboy View Post
Just had a look at the mitasmx website, looks like really good prices and free shipping in the US. According to their website, the yellow striped tires are the FIM Enduro tires, and the Dakar knobbies have one more ply then their other offerings.

Definately worth a look!!

[edit] they also own Trellborg and are closing the brand out, so you Husqvarna guys that want to keep Trellborgs on your left-kickers better act fast, they won't be available much longer!!

I think the website said that Trelleborg is sold out to Mitas...at any rate if you even think you will but Mitas in the future...let them know as without feedback they may end sales in USA...

Zig
JamesOn2Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 12:29 PM   #259
scarygary
Drawing blanks

Oddometer: 369
Heidenau K76

Had such a good feeling with the Heidenau K60's that I mounted up a Heidenau K76 in 90/90-21 size.

Rear is a Bridgestone Spitfire that I had kicking around.. Plan is to do around 12000 kms in the next three weeks. X-USA to California and then back to Toronto.

I'll put the K60s back on when I get back.
scarygary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 10:45 AM   #260
Rob Farmer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,295
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoyoteCowboy View Post
I did some Googling and apparently Mitas is a division of Continental, but I'll be damned if I can figure out where to get them online. There actually is a distributor close to me, maybe a call to them would help. That looks like quite a tire and they offer several sizes in fronts and rears. I'm interested to know what they would cost.
No help to you at all but it appears we have a UK distributor (first I've heard of these tyres) http://www.trelleborgtyres.co.uk/ there's some background on the tyres on the site:-

Trelleborg motorcycle tyres have been manufactured under licence by Mitas since the year 2000. Now from 2010, Mitas will no longer use the Trelleborg name for its motorcycle tyres, rebranding them Mitas 'Sport Xtreme'. Famous tread names such as 'Ten Master' and 'Super Master' will also no longer be used, but the familiar tread pattern numbers will be maintained with the addition of a preceding X. For example:-

Trelleborg Super Master becomes Mitas Sport Xtreme XT-946
Trelleborg Ten Master becomes Mitas Sport Xtreme XT-754
Army Special becomes Mitas Sport Xtreme XT-644
Rob Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 08:05 PM   #261
JeffS77
cheap bastard

Oddometer: 3,293
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardwaregrrl View Post
So.....I wouldn't recommend taking gravel corners at speed on the Shinko 244 "Golden Boy".

I allways liked that rear tire..but hated the front on my NX650 and XR500..felt like it wanted to wash out...running really low tire pressure helped a little..but i would give the rear a

i ended up with a 244 rear and a Bridgestone ED03 on the front..loved it
JeffS77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 04:23 AM   #262
Beemerboff
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,292
Mitas is the own Brand of old Barum factory , and 90 % of their output gets sold under other brand names, including Continental , Michelin,, Mefo, etc.

So their TKC 80 lookalike is the real thing, at around half the cost.

I have been using the E08Ss on my GS for the last 100,000 KM, best of the 80/20 tires and in Oz a lot cheaper.
Old 08-30-2011, 08:34 AM   #263
Lornce
Lost In Place

Oddometer: 17,821
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemerboff View Post
Mitas is the own Brand of old Barum factory , and 90 % of their output gets sold under other brand names, including Continental , Michelin,, Mefo, etc.

So their TKC 80 lookalike is the real thing, at around half the cost.

I have been using the E08Ss on my GS for the last 100,000 KM, best of the 80/20 tires and in Oz a lot cheaper.
I can't keep track of their nomenclature. Maybe why nobody's heard of them over here?

Can you post a pic of the EO8Ss?

Lornce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 08:01 PM   #264
JamesOn2Wheels
Banned

Keep track of Mitas in US

As I know it - they are building a tire plant in Iowa, and will be aggressively selling the entire Moto line here soon.......:cla p

They have a new compound on the 2011 tires...a little stickier but still the longest wearing enduro and MX tires around.

I CAN'T WAIT !!!!!!!!!!!!! They make the best tire/price combo in my mind.

Zig
Old 08-30-2011, 09:10 PM   #265
One Less Harley
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

Oddometer: 4,647
I'm not familiar with the Mita's what is the preferred tire for DS ridding?? I'm thinking something like the Dunlop 606 but better mileage?
2003 Suzuki DRZ 400S (TAT Prep)
One More DRZ does the TAT (Ride Report)

One Less Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 10:26 PM   #266
Lornce
Lost In Place

Oddometer: 17,821
I thought I was imagining things when I noticed the various tire mfgr's seemed to be eliminating their long wearing tires in favour of faster wearing compounds....

Lornce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 01:32 AM   #267
Box'a'bits
In need of repair

Oddometer: 2,109
Quote:
Originally Posted by One Less Harley View Post
I'm not familiar with the Mita's what is the preferred tire for DS ridding?? I'm thinking something like the Dunlop 606 but better mileage?
E09's. The guys using here have inidcated they're not quite as good as D606s off road (but not by much), but will wear better, & are quieter on road. You'll also find the E09's are longer lasting than the D606 or T63 rears (similar tyre which I also like).

I haven't personally experienced the E09 front yet.

I use a Pirelli MT21 front (they howl, but I wear earplugs, & while they wear faster, I get a new tyre twice as often for the same value - they are almost 50% cheaper than the D606 here).

The E07s are a more 50/50 tyre, good grip, wear VERY well, good in summer, & have surprising grip (but don't like mud - like any herringbone pattern tyre).

The E08's are really 80/20 road tyres.

The E10s are like the E09s, but for big dualsports (ie KTM 950 adv, 1200GSs etc) - & come in + sizes to accomodate

It's just better when there's twins involved....

Box'a'bits screwed with this post 08-31-2011 at 02:20 AM
Box'a'bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 06:50 AM   #268
JamesOn2Wheels
Banned

More Mitas

I 've been chatting with Daniel Uebrick from Mitas - he's posted here as "Mitas"

he tells me the new compound is just the tiniest bit softer to alleviate the cracking that one sees sometimes in

knobby's from heat distortion...that the cracks really aren't a problem but due to customer demand they have

changed the formula. Their testing shows minimal difference in wear. -
Go to Danny's facebook http://www.facebook.com/ccsmitas

and check out the Mitas tire line - they rock - period. I think we ought to start a Mitas club here, it's been hinted at

before among riders I know, and make a buying club.......they'll ship tires to us no problem so I'm told.

My next set is Mitas, and that's what i've decided to run RTW....why goof around anymore I ask myself ?

PS those pesky Czechs make some bad-ass Budweis beer too.....and don't forget, they taught the Germans

how to toolup.

Zig
Old 08-31-2011, 08:16 AM   #269
blaine.hale
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,027
SOooo I wouldn't necessarily recommend the k60's on the narrow tire old bikes (my r90.) They look amazing but are pretty squirrely on the interstate, especially if you want to do over 80...it's scary!
I haven't done too much off road with them yet but what I have done, it's handled exceptionally well!
They have a tendency to throw you into turns a little too easy, can be scary at times and I have to counter lean the bike to not crap myself on a deep turn.

That's after about 1000 miles on them so far.
1969 Bultaco Bandido MK2
2013 Husqvarna Terra TR650
blaine.hale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 05:00 PM   #270
One Less Harley
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

Oddometer: 4,647
I'm running a set of Shinko 700 which are a little different than the 244 cost a little bit more but under $150 for the set. I've got about 3,000 miles on my DRZ, should, maybe 1/2 way gone. Good looking 50/50 tire

Then there is Kenda Trackmaster 760 kind of like the 606, looks good for more of an 80/20 tire

The there is a IRC TR8 still under $200 another 80/20 tire
2003 Suzuki DRZ 400S (TAT Prep)
One More DRZ does the TAT (Ride Report)

One Less Harley is offline   Reply With Quote