Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-06-2012, 09:59 AM   #301
MightyChosen1
I wanna be sedated

Oddometer: 1,301
I'm having a hard time finding a Dual sport tire in 130/90-16 for the rear of my Xs-650. So far the the two I have found are a Trailwing and a Duro in this size.

Anyone know of a decent tire ?
Old 02-06-2012, 10:32 AM   #302
Calikatoom
Norcal Moto Nut

Oddometer: 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by clax View Post
Ya, I have the k60's for the larger bike. i think my rear tire is a 150. (tiger 800xc).

anyway, the tires seem to wear great and are excellent on road. one complaint I have is the lack of groove in the centre of the rear tire. makes it extremely hard to get started on snow and ice....expecialy on the side of a hill! why wouldn't they put a couple slits down the middle and make a good tire, an excellent tire?

cheers,
Clay

I think that solid stripe down the middle is the main reason people are getting 10,000 mileor more out of the Heidi on the big Adventure bikes. I would also prefer to have the tread pattern from the smaller size. I would gladly give up a couple thousand miles of wear to have a "chunkkier" tread. 7 or 8 thousand miles of wear is still a whole lot better than the 2000 miles I get out of a rear TKC 80!

For what it is worth..... The heidi's rock! Great blend of offroad traction vs pavement wear.
Calikatoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 11:25 AM   #303
Beater
Mighty Unclean

Oddometer: 3,169
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calikatoom View Post
For what it is worth..... The heidi's rock! Great blend of offroad traction vs pavement wear.
Give this a healthy dose of skepticism ... but I agree. The Heidenau's rock. I've been up and down powerline trails ... through sand ... and hit ~700 miles of pavement. The front was a bit dicey on gravel ... until I had about 200 miles on pavement ... then it settled into a very comfortable dirt/gravel experience. They are not loud on the pavement at 70mph ...

Overall I am impressed with the tires. Very impressed. I'm glad Blaine talked me into them.

Beater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 03:48 PM   #304
Box'a'bits
In need of repair

Oddometer: 2,152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beater View Post
Give this a healthy dose of skepticism ... but I agree. The Heidenau's rock. I've been up and down powerline trails ... through sand ... and hit ~700 miles of pavement. The front was a bit dicey on gravel ... until I had about 200 miles on pavement ... then it settled into a very comfortable dirt/gravel experience. They are not loud on the pavement at 70mph ...

Overall I am impressed with the tires. Very impressed. I'm glad Blaine talked me into them.

If you like those, & do some tracks rather than just sealed road riding, then try the Mitas E07's. Very similar tread pattern, but have a softer carcass, which means that at lower pressures they deform around rocks etc for impressive grip for a 50/50 tyre. Good life out of those as well. Other riders that have tried both found the Heidenau's lacking comparatively, because the carcass was too stiff.

It's just better when there's twins involved....
Box'a'bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 05:30 PM   #305
Beater
Mighty Unclean

Oddometer: 3,169
Quote:
Originally Posted by Box'a'bits View Post
If you like those, & do some tracks rather than just sealed road riding, then try the Mitas E07's. Very similar tread pattern, but have a softer carcass, which means that at lower pressures they deform around rocks etc for impressive grip for a 50/50 tyre. Good life out of those as well. Other riders that have tried both found the Heidenau's lacking comparatively, because the carcass was too stiff.
Believe it or not ... I was looking for the Mitas E07's. I had heard great things.

But they don't (at that time, ~2.5 months ago) import them to the US! WTF?! There are several models that have made it to the US ... but not the E07's.

When the Hiedi's die, I'll probably try and find some E07's ... IF they have got their head out of their collective ARSE's and gotten them into the US.

*sigh*
Beater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 06:38 PM   #306
Lornce
Lost In Place

Oddometer: 17,892
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapid Dog View Post
...what are the best choices out there fir 17" wheels front and back?
('07 Multistrada)...
RD, I'm seeing a lot of the Multistrada guys going with Dunlop's 616 that was originally developed for the Buell Ulysses. For the tread pattern, Dunlop apparently took their "inspiration" from racing rain tires. I like the way they work on pavement and they really do work well in the rain. For gravel roads they're about as aggressive as you're likely to find in 17" radials.

Lornce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 07:49 AM   #307
Rapid Dog
bikes, booze, broads...

Oddometer: 9,127
...thanks Lornce, that seems the only tire available for the Multi. I hear Conti is coming out with TKCs in 17's, but that's more tire than I want for the Dookati.

Rapid Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 08:46 AM   #308
acap650
acap650

Oddometer: 622
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lornce View Post
Deathwings

I hate those evil things.

There are several types of these. I freely admit I am satisfied with them on the DR650. They are just fine for street commuting and the occasional fire road. I get 8K on front and 4K on rear, they are common, inexpensive and easy to mount.

Maybe we need to start a Deathwing, no Trailwing support group.
acap650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 08:46 PM   #309
Lornce
Lost In Place

Quote:
Originally Posted by acap650 View Post
There are several types of these. I freely admit I am satisfied with them on the DR650. They are just fine for street commuting and the occasional fire road. I get 8K on front and 4K on rear, they are common, inexpensive and easy to mount.

Maybe we need to start a Deathwing, no Trailwing support group.
These didn't last very long at all.

Old 02-07-2012, 09:29 PM   #310
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,927
is that damage due to deathwing?
_cy_ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 09:53 PM   #311
Lornce
Lost In Place

The short answer is yes, imho.

Old 02-08-2012, 05:25 AM   #312
Beemerboff
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,299
I inherited a almost new set of deathwings when I bought my XT600, and decided to wear them out.

Wont take long - the front TW 41 is almost done in 4000 easy KM.

The XT is around 70 kg lighter than the G/S, and I probably drive it 30 km slower on black top, but the front still stepped out where the Scorpion ATs on the G/S were planted.

On gravel tracks I have had a couple of anxious moment too, losing the front on tracks I had taken many times at the same speed or better on the G/S without any problem.

The back is actually a radial Trail Max 91 and it hasn't been a problem, but it too is almost done at 4000 km.

There are plenty better tires around - the Scorpion ATs on the G/S seem much better now than when I tried them on a F650 GS a few years back, and seem to have more grip everywhere than the Distanzas I have been using for a few years.
Old 03-01-2012, 03:55 PM   #313
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,927
just ordered a set of Heidenau K-60 for R80G/S ... was looking at Kenda K761 too... excellent looking thread pattern and dirt cheap ($120 set).

so what the load down on these Kenda K761? been finding a few feedback about them not good in the rain. can anyone one weight in with their experience with Kenda K761?

getting ready to do a mostly road miles trip on G/S? what's a good tire?
or should I mount the Heidenau K-60 for the road work and be done?

what about PIRELLI MT90 A/T ?

_cy_ screwed with this post 03-01-2012 at 04:09 PM
_cy_ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 04:10 PM   #314
One Less Harley
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

Oddometer: 4,657
I had the 761's on mine for a short time and pulled them off before wearing out as the front tire cupped early on and just exaggerated my front end (stock G/S front) wobble at speed. Kind of like the front was hunting for the right track to follow.
2003 Suzuki DRZ 400S (TAT Prep)
One More DRZ does the TAT (Ride Report)

One Less Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 04:46 PM   #315
Martian
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,105
Quote:
Originally Posted by _cy_ View Post
just ordered a set of Heidenau K-60 for R80G/S ... was looking at Kenda K761 too... excellent looking thread pattern and dirt cheap ($120 set).

so what the load down on these Kenda K761? been finding a few feedback about them not good in the rain. can anyone one weight in with their experience with Kenda K761?

getting ready to do a mostly road miles trip on G/S? what's a good tire?
or should I mount the Heidenau K-60 for the road work and be done?

what about PIRELLI MT90 A/T ?
I just put a set of K-60's on my bike. They feel great and are excellent on rock/gravel roads. Pavement cornering seems good, but I haven't pushed them too far, yet. As a test, I didn't balance them. I've found that I don't need to. They are rock steady up to 90. The bike is a '93 R100R(GS) w/19" front tire.

'93 R100GSPD(sold)
http://frommars.smugmug.com
Martian is offline   Reply With Quote