Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-16-2012, 02:44 AM   #361
gsd4me
90% bluff

Oddometer: 7,306
Quote:
Originally Posted by _cy_ View Post
finally received the set of K-60 tires today ... sure was glad to see em.. took three weeks to get here. mounted them right away. soooo relieved to get those Shinko 705 off my G/S.

Keen to hear how the front one handles in wet conditions. The K60 on the back of my 1100GS is a bit skittish, but it wearing well. 10,000Km and about 2/3 worn.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...uild+australia
gsd4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 09:01 AM   #362
One Less Harley
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

Oddometer: 4,655
Here's my rear K 60 after 8,371 miles.Mostly pavement, MAYBE 25% gravel and hard pack.

2003 Suzuki DRZ 400S (TAT Prep)
One More DRZ does the TAT (Ride Report)

One Less Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 08:56 PM   #363
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,918
just got back from first ride on K-60 .. hopped on freeway got up to highway speeds. felt a bit buzzy as reported by several folks. but by end of ride much improved... starting to smooth out.

got tires up to high speeds with no problems. a bit too early to report much. too bad Shinko 705 didn't work out for they felt really good on the road!

watched the No Mar video on balancing motorcycle wheels. it's pretty close now, but going back and getting balance dead on.
_cy_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 10:30 PM   #364
bgoodsoil OP
Dare to be Stupid

Oddometer: 4,420
I put the Shinko 705s on today. The K270 front had some miles left on it but poor as I am I still took it off. They're very skinny compared to the 705s and they came off the rim with no lever. Maybe on a lighter bike they'd be good but they're the only tire I've tried yet that I'd say 'don't use them ever' on an airhead.

The 705s went on with some effort but not as bad as a Distanzia. They can be a nightmare to get the bead to seat sometimes. The 705s have far more sidewall strength than the k270s though. They're just wide enough to not rub on my Ohlin's shock. They seem very similar to the Distanzias except that the front wheel rotation arrow recommends it run in the opposite direction from the rear tire. The Distanzias both run with the 'arrow' of the tread pointing forward.

They feel very planted on the road but again, coming from the k270s anything would be an improvement. I'll try to run them through some trails this week. We've had some rain so I should get some mud testing in.

Proud SmugMug User Support ADV: Don't give those cheap bums your discount code
bgoodsoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 12:56 PM   #365
mykill
odd

Oddometer: 1,160
Anybody know what is up with the lack of availability of Anakee2 rears for GS? Everyone is out and has been out. I even emailed Michelin USA and got no reply. I really like them but fear I may have to make a switch.
Old 03-31-2012, 08:25 AM   #366
goathead
grunt and push

Oddometer: 43
Thumb 705

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbeem View Post
I probably should add that I know a few people that are running 705 radials on Stroms and they are having no problems. Radials are not available in sizes for the R100GS.
Just orderd a front 705 radial from Motorcycle Superstore 90/90-21 for my 92 R100GS it will be my second one. The first set of 705's the blocks started to crack off at around 2500 miles I ran them at 40psi all the time. I would buy the Tourance at $ 150.00 or so if my pocket book were herting my ass but that is not a problem so the $ 48.99 705's are just the ticket for me even if they only go 2500 miles.
goathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 08:47 AM   #367
Lornce
Lost In Place

Oddometer: 17,892
Quote:
Originally Posted by goathead View Post
Just orderd a front 705 radial from Motorcycle Superstore 90/90-21 for my 92 R100GS it will be my second one. The first set of 705's the blocks started to crack off at around 2500 miles I ran them at 40psi all the time. I would buy the Tourance at $ 150.00 or so if my pocket book were herting my ass but that is not a problem so the $ 48.99 705's are just the ticket for me even if they only go 2500 miles.
That's false economy, right there.

Not that I'd ever buy Tourances on purpose, the last set I ran on my R100GSPD lasted 18k kms (11k miles). They were new on the bike when I bought it.

They're actually a pretty good street tire with fairly decent manners in the rain. Handling's a little slushy for my taste, but they won't surprise you or let go all together. They just sashay slushy sliding arcs through corners instead of hooking up and railing like a set of Avon Gripsters.

On gravel roads they work okay... as long as you don't have to accelerate, decelerate or turn.

ymmv, imho, fwiw,
Lornce
Lornce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 06:06 AM   #368
hardwaregrrl
ignore list

Oddometer: 7,241
So just an update......I had asked Stagehand what he ran on the PD, and thought I'd try the 606. Wow! What a tire....granted I've only put 1500 miles on the set. Off road in close to everthing but sand I felt like I had a shovel back there!!!! They were very confidence inspiring in the nasty stuff. On road, a little loud but with earplugs I heard nothing. They were great from the start at high speeds and I was able to test them in the twisty road arena at the olds cool rally in Cruso NC. Then I got to test them in the wet twisty road arena......and they stuck like glue!!!! It looks like the front is already cupping, but whatever....rear looks good. I'll report back once I get some rear road miles on them! So far, I may have found my new tire.

Jason if you're reading this....what mileage do you usually get out of yours??
hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 07:46 PM   #369
anmlchin
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Thumb Michelin T63 on G/S

Hi All,

A little more food for thought on DS tires on the airheads. I put a set of Michelin T63s on my G/S. 90/90-21 and 120/80-18. Paid $56 each from a large US mail order place. Now have just over 7,000 miles on them with a little life left. Handle well on roads and off both solo and loaded/2-up. Wet roads have been fine. Good off road, especially when pressure lowered for off road work.

Cheers
Old 06-19-2012, 07:41 PM   #370
jimbee
Airhead Intermediate

Oddometer: 334
TKC Wear

After 5,000 mostly pavement miles on my R100GS, the TKC rear is pretty square and ready to be replaced.

The front still a bunch of tread, but the scalloping is annoying (both pics of front):

Would most of you just swap the rear at this stage and keep running this front, or go ahead and change both?

After the summer. I'm thinking about going back to Tourances for a longer trip, so I was considering just throwing on a new rear for the summer, but wanted to get a feel for what others do in terms of living with the scalloping up front.

If I just go for a new rear, I was thinking about trying the Mitas E09 or the Heindu K60, but neither seem to come in a 130/80 17 tubless?
Old 06-19-2012, 08:04 PM   #371
Box'a'bits
In need of repair

Oddometer: 2,152
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbee View Post
The front still a bunch of tread, but the scalloping is annoying (both pics of front):

Would most of you just swap the rear at this stage and keep running this front, or go ahead and change both?

If I just go for a new rear, I was thinking about trying the Mitas E09...neither seem to come in a 130/80 17 tubeless
Can you not turn the TKC 80 to even the wear (don't know how directional this tyre is, but mostly you can do that with square tread block tyres).

The Mitas is an excellent tyre. I run them on the back of my bike (but tubed). There's a thread in the vendors section where you can ask the distributor direct questions about Mitas Tyres.

It's just better when there's twins involved....
Box'a'bits is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 05:23 AM   #372
gsd4me
90% bluff

Oddometer: 7,306
Quote:
After 5,000 mostly pavement miles on my R100GS, the TKC rear is pretty square and ready to be replaced.

I`d leave the rear on until it`s worn out, and spin the front around on the rim to even up the wear, I`ve done it many a time.

You could try a TKC front and Mitas E07 on the rear; good on the bitumen and dirt roads.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...uild+australia
gsd4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 08:37 AM   #373
WRC51
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 430
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgoodsoil View Post
I put the Shinko 705s on today. The K270 front had some miles left on it but poor as I am I still took it off. They're very skinny compared to the 705s and they came off the rim with no lever. Maybe on a lighter bike they'd be good but they're the only tire I've tried yet that I'd say 'don't use them ever' on an airhead.

The 705s went on with some effort but not as bad as a Distanzia. They can be a nightmare to get the bead to seat sometimes. The 705s have far more sidewall strength than the k270s though. They're just wide enough to not rub on my Ohlin's shock. They seem very similar to the Distanzias except that the front wheel rotation arrow recommends it run in the opposite direction from the rear tire. The Distanzias both run with the 'arrow' of the tread pointing forward.

They feel very planted on the road but again, coming from the k270s anything would be an improvement. I'll try to run them through some trails this week. We've had some rain so I should get some mud testing in.
Is this statement about running the arrows in the opposite direction on the tire itself?? I have run a set on my KLR(sorry Iam looking for an Airhead, really) with the arrows in the same direction. Humm, I must check it out. I went thru the rear 705 in about 5000mi, really not that bad for the price. The front shows much less wear, Iam thinking it has another 3000mi left in it. Iam not sure if an Airhead GS-GSPD is any heavier than a KLR but they might work well for the price. These have been really good on pavement, and hard packed dirt but are very LOOSE on gravel, at the same PSI as on -road.(30 front,35 rear)
WRC51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 03:57 PM   #374
jonnyc21
Trials ninja

Oddometer: 871
TKC scalloping/cupping.

Quote:

After the summer. I'm thinking about going back to Tourances for a longer trip, so I was considering just throwing on a new rear for the summer, but wanted to get a feel for what others do in terms of living with the scalloping up front.

If I just go for a new rear, I was thinking about trying the Mitas E09 or the Heindu K60, but neither seem to come in a 130/80 17 tubless?
The scalloping/cupping is something I have seen with my first set of TKC's and was wondering if this was becasue I was running the wrong pressure and if so what PSI's work well for others that are around 175lbs running on a G650X Chalange or like sized bike (XR650L, DR650, KLR650 etc.).

I am open for advice...
jonnyc21 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 04:12 PM   #375
hardwaregrrl
ignore list

Oddometer: 7,241
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyc21 View Post
The scalloping/cupping is something I have seen with my first set of TKC's and was wondering if this was becasue I was running the wrong pressure and if so what PSI's work well for others that are around 175lbs running on a G650X Chalange or like sized bike (XR650L, DR650, KLR650 etc.).

I am open for advice...
I have yet to run a knobby that doesn't cup in the front, T-63, TKC, 606, 244....they all do that. A bit of a bump in PSI does help the tire last longer.
hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote