Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-20-2012, 11:00 PM   #376
jimbee
Airhead Intermediate

Oddometer: 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardwaregrrl View Post
I have yet to run a knobby that doesn't cup in the front, T-63, TKC, 606, 244....they all do that. A bit of a bump in PSI does help the tire last longer.
So do you live with the cup, spin them, or just change them up when the rear is finished?
Old 06-20-2012, 11:30 PM   #377
Box'a'bits
In need of repair

Oddometer: 2,008
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbee View Post
So do you live with the cup, spin them, or just change them up when the rear is finished?
Spin them early, when the cup becomes apparent. That evens wear.

It's just better when there's twins involved....
Box'a'bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 03:51 AM   #378
gsd4me
90% bluff

Oddometer: 7,019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Box'a'bits View Post
Spin them early, when the cup becomes apparent. That evens wear.

That way, the front will be worn out when the rear is also done, so you can get a fresh pair together. These tires are not cheap, so you may as well get your monies worth.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...uild+australia
gsd4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 04:05 AM   #379
gsd4me
90% bluff

Oddometer: 7,019
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyc21 View Post
The scalloping/cupping is something I have seen with my first set of TKC's and was wondering if this was becasue I was running the wrong pressure and if so what PSI's work well for others that are around 175lbs running on a G650X Chalange or like sized bike (XR650L, DR650, KLR650 etc.).
I run 30/34 on my 1100GS, but that is a heavy bike. I had a Xchallenge until recently and ran mid 20s front and rear; the Pirelli MT21 front scalloped badly on bitumen.

Just got onto a mate I do long rides with who owns an R80 GS/PD. He usually uses Mitas E07 front and rear, but has run E09s as well. On bitumen he runs 28psi front/30 psi rear and gets excellent wear at highway speeds.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...uild+australia

gsd4me screwed with this post 06-21-2012 at 04:14 AM
gsd4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 11:36 PM   #380
naginalf
Handy Schtroumpf

Oddometer: 250
Found Heidenaus in WI, online purchasing

Bumpety umpety eebida, any updates folks?

I thought the Heidi K60's sounded perfect for my needs and found a few distributors in WI and other places on this page. Most are scooter dealers tho. Browse thru and you should find others that sell online like this place, about $230. But if Jenna, Jason, and others are getting 5K+ on 606 ($180), t63 ($140), and tkc ($210) knobbies that do well on wet pavement and all things dirt, and I read that the heidis are squirrely in wet, hmm.... so hard to decide. Every time I find something I like, glaring issues creep up. I do ride the streets to work every day, but sacrificing only 2-3k mi for some offroad and wet traction seems quite acceptable. I really wanted a cheap tire, but after reading the death threats handed out by kendas, the squigglies and wet wigglies on IRC, and the quality removable knobs on the shinkos, I think that's out. $200 isn't all that bad I guess (damn tho, only 5k...). I'm not so sure that I'll get thru the season on the current saharas judging by other's mileage and only about 1/3 left. And their poor mud handling may prove dangerous this fall.

Yup, either 606 by team airhead recommendation or t63 on the cheap.
I need in this order:
- less than $200
- good wet pavement
- 5k mi + on the rear
- decent dry pavemnt for a moderate rider, I never push it.
- confident offroad, no slipping on a heavy bike.
Those tires fit this bill from what I've read of your experiences, right?
Old 08-03-2012, 05:45 AM   #381
hardwaregrrl
You talkin' to me?

Oddometer: 6,882
Quote:
Originally Posted by naginalf View Post

Yup, either 606 by team airhead recommendation or t63 on the cheap.
I need in this order:
- less than $200
- good wet pavement
- 5k mi + on the rear
- decent dry pavemnt for a moderate rider, I never push it.
- confident offroad, no slipping on a heavy bike.
Those tires fit this bill from what I've read of your experiences, right?
I'd host DANCE PARTY USA if I got 5 K out of a 606. I retired my last set at 4200, but I'm also a bit of a nacy about tires....they could've gone 5k. I'm like you, I commute on my bike running 80mph on the hwy 90% of the time. I did not like the T63, it never got over it's squirmyness on the highway, anytime I'd drop a leg or an arm, the bike would weave a lot! Tkc really is the only "trip" knobby I would recommend. I took mine to 6800k, but they're not great off road. I'm still pushing the shinko 244 golden boys. Good cheap tire, and semi knobbie. They could rival the Distanzia's for mileage. but of course: YMMV
hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 07:28 AM   #382
Rucksta
Chronic Noob

Oddometer: 2,568
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbee View Post
After 5,000 mostly pavement miles on my R100GS, the TKC rear is pretty square and ready to be replaced.

The front still a bunch of tread, but the scalloping is annoying (both pics of front):

Would most of you just swap the rear at this stage and keep running this front, or go ahead and change both?

After the summer. I'm thinking about going back to Tourances for a longer trip, so I was considering just throwing on a new rear for the summer, but wanted to get a feel for what others do in terms of living with the scalloping up front.

If I just go for a new rear, I was thinking about trying the Mitas E09 or the Heindu K60, but neither seem to come in a 130/80 17 tubless?
I'm not seeing scalloping here.
I see normal wear for a block pattern that is a little overinflated.
Predominant wear is from braking and can be described as saw toooth.

A little less pressure will spread the wear to the pair of blocks either side of the central row and even out the leading edge.

A little bit lower again will spread the wear to the next pair of blocks.

This will be under inflation and the centre row will dodge the wear.
The second row out from centre will pick up the most wear and it will display on the inner edge of the block from rolling and cornering forces and on the leading edge of the block from braking load.
In cross section it will look as if it has sucked its cheeks in - scalloping

Tyres with this condition lever the inner edge of the block off the surface as the tyre is leaned into a turn.
It's the inner edge of the block that give you the bite.

Flipping the tyre early will extend the wear but if a scalloped tyre was worn as much as the one pictured it would be way too far gone to get much more effective life.

The tyre pictured is not scalloped but is still a little far gone to get the best out of a flip.
Worth doing so you can read the change in wear pattern.

Next time you buy this tyre try running it about 5% lower pressure 1/1/2 - 2 lbs/sq in less and flip it way earlier.
Old 08-03-2012, 07:30 AM   #383
One Less Harley
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

Oddometer: 4,599
The K-60's are hard to find in the 120-80 18, I couldn't get the rear last time I looked. It's obviously a hit or miss thing. Checked three places I've had good luck w/ before and a no go. I like the tire. Ended up getting an over priced Mefo 99 which is way to expensive. A cheap tire would be the Shinko 244 or Kenda equivalent.

Road the K60 on gravel and that really showed some wear, more than expected. Was running 20-22 psi.
2003 Suzuki DRZ 400S (TAT Prep)
One More DRZ does the TAT (Ride Report)

One Less Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 07:54 AM   #384
red bud
alky w/motorcycle problem

Oddometer: 5,056
ok, how much better is k76 on the rd compared to k60?

"red bud has anyone ever told u you're bit of an ass" bmwblake

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=706516
red bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 01:30 PM   #385
One Less Harley
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

Oddometer: 4,599
Latest late report on my last rear K60 (120/80-18) which has been unavailable over the last two months.

This rear tire had more gravel miles on it than my 1st. I'd guess 1500-1800 miles of gravel. It lasted a disappointing 5,800 miles from mid March to early August. Might have gotten another 500 miles out of it. The previous rear lasted 8,300 miles with maybe 5-800 more miles. It had had mostly road miles on it. Gravel seemed to wear the tire down quickly.

The front might make 10,000 miles.

The replacement while not my 1st choice due to the insanely high price given is a Mefo 99. I doubt I'll buy this tire again, but circumstances forced the tire purchase. Frigin' $168 plus shipping on that tire. Not recommended, "cause of the price.

2003 Suzuki DRZ 400S (TAT Prep)
One More DRZ does the TAT (Ride Report)

One Less Harley screwed with this post 09-06-2012 at 01:40 PM
One Less Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 06:20 PM   #386
Castironmeyer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
Hi all I just did 3500 miles on a new set of mefo explores on my ST. I mounted the tires the night before I left with dyna beads.. Compared to my Avon distanzias they were down right scarry the first hundred miles on hiway, settled down and lost buzzing around 250 and by 300 were good. the tires hardly look worn. one trip was to smokey mountains and one to pikes peak (rocky mountains) My ST was fastest up and down pikes peak they day I was there
Old 09-11-2012, 07:08 AM   #387
lochridge
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 142
i assume the dynabeads worked well for you then? would you continue to use them or are the weights easier?
lochridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 09:52 AM   #388
Castironmeyer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
The Dyna beads are great and I will contuine to use them, I belive they are superior than wheel weights very easy to use,
Old 09-17-2012, 01:27 PM   #389
aerone
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 330
5K on the rear

I have never gotten that kind of mileage out of a rear on anything. Maybe I drive too fast. I rode the 88GS over to Murphy to DFS last weekend. I have Sahara 3's on it. The rear is going away at about 2400 miles, the front is still looking good. To be determined if it will cup as the 950SM front end is mounted. They work well for me in slick, muddy going and gravel. I will say that they stick pretty good all the way over to the edge as I was chasing my brother in law on his SR4s. We passed several expensive red bikes between 28, Warwoman and Hiawassee.
aerone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 02:23 AM   #390
Beemerboff
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,214
Just done my first 500 miles on my G/S on a set of Mitas E07's, with 28/ 30 lbs in them as suggested by GSD4ME a few post back.

They suit me, my G/S and the roads and tracks I ride on very well, probably the best match I have found.

On black top they feel secure and planted, turn in and feed back is excellent .

On gravel / dirt roads they seem quite compliant, adsorbing more of the bumps than the Scorpion A/Ts that preceded them. Grip is as good as you can expect from anything that doesn't have knobs, and better than the A/Ts.
But on dirt I dont push the tires too far, as I ride usually ride slowly and cautiously as I dont fancy my chances of getting the bike upright out of a muddy ditch single handed.

It took 350 miles to get the stubble off the front tire, so they look like they are made from tough hard rubber.

I hope they are , because I choose them in the hope that I will get a decent life out of them - the Scorpion A/T rears didnt go much past 2500 miles, fronts twice that.