Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-27-2013, 12:50 AM   #421
Rucksta
Chronic Noob

Oddometer: 2,556
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ras Thurlo View Post
+1

Have just mounted 606 rear, based principally on advice from here. Could not find them in Europe so bought from the states......
I was wondering how you were going getting hold of 606s.
Hope the combo proves worth the effort.
Old 05-28-2013, 10:34 AM   #422
naginalf
Handy Schtroumpf

Oddometer: 250
Has anyone had any experience with the Tubliss system, I've heard great things about it. Unfortunately they don't make a 17" version, but all the more reason to get a 18" rear rim installed eventually. I plan to put one in my front tire for now tho.

I was thinking of cheaping out on tires this summer and trying the shinko 244's until I get the money for the 606's and a rear wheel. How are people installing either of these tires on a rear stock rim, ie. with tube or is it possible to do so without (both are supposedly tube type)? Do you need a rim lock for tube tires? I don't really want to drill the stock rim.

My previous tires that came with the bike were Metzler Sahara 3's. I didn't get to ride much on them but the rear did wear quite fast. They were awesome in everything I took them in tho, road, wet, and gravel. Never had the least bit of traction issue at all and they wore evenly. Great tires if you don't mind the price and the wear.
Old 05-28-2013, 12:19 PM   #423
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,296
Quote:
Originally Posted by naginalf View Post
Has anyone had any experience with the Tubliss system, I've heard great things about it. Unfortunately they don't make a 17" version, but all the more reason to get a 18" rear rim installed eventually. I plan to put one in my front tire for now tho.

I was thinking of cheaping out on tires this summer and trying the shinko 244's until I get the money for the 606's and a rear wheel. How are people installing either of these tires on a rear stock rim, ie. with tube or is it possible to do so without (both are supposedly tube type)? Do you need a rim lock for tube tires? I don't really want to drill the stock rim.

My previous tires that came with the bike were Metzler Sahara 3's. I didn't get to ride much on them but the rear did wear quite fast. They were awesome in everything I took them in tho, road, wet, and gravel. Never had the least bit of traction issue at all and they wore evenly. Great tires if you don't mind the price and the wear.
I thought Tubliss was strictly for off road? Not designed for highway use at all and not recommended.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 01:07 PM   #424
naginalf
Handy Schtroumpf

Oddometer: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by bross View Post
I thought Tubliss was strictly for off road? Not designed for highway use at all and not recommended.
Everything I've read about it says that, according to Neutech, they must state legally that it is not DOT approved, but considering it's not their core market, and all the red tape and BS they'd have to go through to accommodate getting DOT approval for a niche market, of course that is the "official" stance their lawyers make them state. However, in just a few minutes of search, I've found quite a few people who've run them at high speeds and long miles on higway, with no discernible issues.

I guess that answers my question and makes it moot, but I was just curious if anyone here was using them on their airheads, off road or otherwise. Didn't mean to get off topic, sorry bout that, there are many other threads discussing this in detail.

naginalf screwed with this post 05-28-2013 at 01:14 PM
naginalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 02:25 PM   #425
One Less Harley
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

Oddometer: 4,578
two of my riding partners ran them on the TAT, allows you to run low pressure and no pinch flats. But I don't like them as one still needs to carry spare tubes in case a tubliss failure. Yes you can carry extra inner bladders which aren't patchable, and if the red hard liner gets a hole you may need that too, which doesn't pack well. tires can't be plugged on sidewall, plus in some cases a puncture will also penetrate the bladder. On a long trip it's still wise to carry tubes as a back up. Also if you bend a rim, need tubes as a backup.Tubliss isn't as easy to find on the road as tubes. $100 per hoop also. IMHO not worth it, aslo need to carry a high pressure pump for the bladder, not sure if one of the electric pumps is up to high PSI.

that being said some people really like tubliss. They do work on the highway just fine.
2003 Suzuki DRZ 400S (TAT Prep)
One More DRZ does the TAT (Ride Report)

One Less Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 08:30 PM   #426
sunnybandit
Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
I fast forward to the end but I am curious about a 130 rear. WHATS REALLY GOOD? Tubed mefo rear lasts 3, 5kmi. I like them for street, okay for off road (aired down). I need another. Suggestions?

sunnybandit screwed with this post 07-31-2013 at 08:32 PM Reason: dont make me look stupid !
sunnybandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 01:03 AM   #427
orangebear
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,210
I run Continental Trail Attack on my r100gs as they were cheap and the bike never went off as yet
Klr650c the 1 I should not of wasted my money on
Honda xl125rc powered by a cg125 block fun wee bike
orangebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 07:55 PM   #428
One Less Harley
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

has anyone tried the Shinko 705 120/80x18 or the 4.10x18 for the rear on the G/S?? I ask this because I had issues fitting the Mefo 120/80 18, it rubbed the shaft.

I want to get a little more miles than what I get from the K60 heidenuas and less dirt for my next set. due to ridding more pavement lately.

Old 09-25-2013, 11:19 PM   #429
Prutser
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 848
Quote:
Originally Posted by One Less Harley View Post
has anyone tried the Shinko 705 120/80x18 or the 4.10x18 for the rear on the G/S?? I ask this because I had issues fitting the Mefo 120/80 18, it rubbed the shaft.

I want to get a little more miles than what I get from the K60 heidenuas and less dirt for my next set. due to ridding more pavement lately.
My last trip I used the mefo explorer, my girlfriend the K60 heidenau and a friend the Mitas E07
The Mitas lasted the longest and was the least scary in wet conditions.
My mefo's were the better ones in the mud ( still not great)
The K60 were the worst on wet tarmac and in the dirt.

All the brands were doing ok on rocky tracks but the Mitas would be my next set to try on a trip that's not only off-road.
The explorer is showing cracks in the tire like the nobs wil come off just like my superexplorer did.
The front mefo wears really uneven and makes the bike's front end shake.

R100GS'91 (sold)
Prutser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 11:33 PM   #430
Houseoffubar
fine beer sampler

Oddometer: 1,758
Since I did not see it answered, No, you do not need rim locks, unless you want to run VERY low pressure, or ride on a flat.
Old 09-26-2013, 12:21 AM   #431
Ras Thurlo
Desert Lion

Oddometer: 554
airhead dirt tyres

anyone tried the Michelin S12 on their airhead dirtbike?

I have been told that they work well for heavy bikes in soft terrain.

Dont know how quickly they will wear if used for dual sport , but was intending to use them as a dirt-only rear tyre
Ras Thurlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 02:03 AM   #432
DK Dan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ras Thurlo View Post
anyone tried the Michelin S12 on their airhead dirtbike?

I have been told that they work well for heavy bikes in soft terrain.

Dont know how quickly they will wear if used for dual sport , but was intending to use them as a dirt-only rear tyre
I currently have the S12 rear tyre and used it for an offroad event (mostly sand and mud) and it's the best tyre I've tried offroad so far. I have only driven it a few km's on tarmac and it feels really soft. Just the few km's shows some wear on the knobs.

Can see that they have improved the tyre and made the variants M12 and S12 XC which should last longer: http://www.jaxquickfit.com.au/michel...12-xc-off-road
Old 09-26-2013, 02:57 AM   #433
Ras Thurlo
Desert Lion

Oddometer: 554
Quote:
Originally Posted by DK Dan View Post
I currently have the S12 rear tyre and used it for an offroad event (mostly sand and mud) and it's the best tyre I've tried offroad so far.
Do you have the newer compound ones?

I was told by local guys that ride KTM 950 dirtbikes that they wear well on a heavier bike - and assume that they are referring to the new version.

This dude has a better job than mine:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hk8f8NlUD-4
Ras Thurlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 04:39 AM   #434
DK Dan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 136
Mines the (very soft) old version so I would consider trying out the new XC version. Actually I'm lucky to have two set of standard G/S wheels. One set for tarmac use mounted with Metzeler Enduro 2 and the other set for offroad use.
Old 09-26-2013, 05:30 AM   #435
One Less Harley
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prutser View Post
My last trip I used the mefo explorer, my girlfriend the K60 heidenau and a friend the Mitas E07
The Mitas lasted the longest and was the least scary in wet conditions.
My mefo's were the better ones in the mud ( still not great)
The K60 were the worst on wet tarmac and in the dirt.

All the brands were doing ok on rocky tracks but the Mitas would be my next set to try on a trip that's not only off-road.
The explorer is showing cracks in the tire like the nobs wil come off just like my superexplorer did.
The front mefo wears really uneven and makes the bike's front end shake.
What size Mefo did you use??? The 120 rubbed on my bike, others haven't had that problem. Mefo's are to damn exspensive, not sure about the Mita's but have to pay extra shipping from Canada to the USA.