Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-20-2009, 03:35 AM   #91
Beemerboff
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,248
I should have said bitumen riding - I do probably 70/30 on the GS, with the 30% on unsealed rubble roads/forest tracks, and the E08s cope with that better than the alternatives
The VFR prefers Pilot powers and I wear them out a bit more evenly, but it gets the highway cruising and interstate runs.
Old 09-03-2009, 06:10 AM   #92
Gimmeslack
furthur

Oddometer: 2,468
Enduro 3 rear after about 3k of 40/60 gravel/pavement, mostly 2-up.

Now the question is whether I change it out before upcoming (mostly pavement) 400-500 mi trip, or finish it off What'yall think?

"If you hold a cat by the tail, you learn things you cannot learn any other way."

Twain
Gimmeslack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 06:16 AM   #93
Rucksta
Chronic Noob

Oddometer: 2,590
Chuck it
Rucksta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 06:20 AM   #94
Gimmeslack
furthur

Oddometer: 2,468
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rucksta
Chuck it
Yeah, i figured... just lazy and too much to do before weekend.

I'm going to run one more Enduro 3 (since front is only about 50% worn) and then I'm trying TKC's. Funny, most of what we ride will go ok on a more street oriented tire, but i'm always happy for a little more knob when I hit a patch of crap.

"If you hold a cat by the tail, you learn things you cannot learn any other way."

Twain
Gimmeslack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 08:38 AM   #95
StephenB
G(/)S ... what else!

Oddometer: 2,046
That's the problem with Enduro 3: expensive and not very long lasting. I had the same experience. A $55 Kenda 270 does the same (or better) on gravel, just isn't as good on the road.

Some of the above is fact, some is fiction, some is my personal imagination and some is just simple truth. [me]

... i'm not touring around the world, but neither are most of the guys i see running overloaded spam cans ... [bmwblake]

Stephen Bottcher
Ontario, Canada

'72 R75/5 The Blues

www.stephenbottcher.net
StephenB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 11:53 AM   #96
WooPig
Oh Glory!

Oddometer: 545
I've just reminded myself of another reason I love TKCs on my GS - they're so easy to mount. A little lube, keep it centered in the rim, and presto. The rear fell in so easily I checked three times to be sure I didn't have the wrong size!
I guess I remembered a weakness too though. They get loud when they're worn. The new ones are always strikingly quieter.
I'm outta here. In search of loose terrain.

WooPig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 08:07 PM   #97
KYkid

Oddometer: 38
There must be something wrong with me. I just got 6500 miles out of a set of Enduro 3s and they didn't look much worse than the picture above. I use this bike mostly on the pavement(if I want to get dirty I hop on the KTM) with an occasional trip down a dirt or gravel road. I do agree that the price is outrageous which prompted me to buy a set of Avon Gripsters. So far (1200 miles) the gripsters suck. They wander and weave and refuse to hold a line whether straight or cornering. Everything that I have read on these tires is positive but I haven't seen it yet. I thought these tires would be perfect for what I use this bike for.

KYkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 08:12 PM   #98
KYkid

Oddometer: 38
Do they make those Mofos tubeless, they sure look yummy.

KYkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 08:46 PM   #99
datchew
Don't buy from Brad

Oddometer: 7,409
I'm really interested in those IRC GP-1's. They come in GS sizes (metric equiv) and they are well spoken of in the KLR and thumper circles.

I don't know if they're tubeless though. I don't think I'd want them if they're tube-type only.

LINK
datchew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 11:17 AM   #100
sponge315
Desert GS

Oddometer: 6
Thumbs down 2 DURO's

Since the DUROs were almost like free cheap. I bought 2 rears and one front for my R100GS Mounted up the first set without tubes. Front is holding up Ok but the rear developed crackes between the Knobs on my first 1K trip. (mostly interstate some back road). I watched it and but didn't change it for about 2K more miles. When it statred to lose big enough pieces of rubber to see belts I changed it.
Second tire I added a tube. (they are tube type, although the first tire didn't lose air) This tire cracked and lost whole knobes on my first trip. I do live in southern nevada and the temp was around 110 F. I suspect that Duro just isn't able to handle higher temps. Adding the tube just made it worse. so we will try something else.

sponge315 screwed with this post 09-12-2009 at 12:01 PM
sponge315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 01:11 PM   #101
RomaDakota
Illuminatus!

Oddometer: 1,357
A friend of mine had the same result with the Duros.
Old 09-12-2009, 01:32 PM   #102
stainlesscycle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,137
7 pages and no mention of the infamous shinko 244 golden boys? (or did i miss it?) insanely dirt cheap. effective. better dirt than street. by no means a great tire, but better than some............does decent in the dirt. ok on the street. ok on gravel. the back wears well......
07 gasgas xc300-94 duc 900ss-86 morini camel (2)-84 IT200-83 IT175-78 guzzi lm1-77 pursang 250-76 morini 3 1/2 strada-76 frankentaco pursang 200-74 frankentaco pursang 200-74 morini 3 1/2 sport-74 mz ts250/0-74 puch 175 (3)-73 can-am 175tnt-71 guzzi frankeneldo-71 ossa Stiletto-70 frankentaco sherpa s(2)-66 morini corsarino(2)-63 morini corsaro + many more
stainlesscycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 03:09 PM   #103
Pointman0853
Unregistered Gun Owner

Oddometer: 1,382
Duro's de-constructing...?

Interesting results on the Duro's. I'm considering them for an upcoming trip to Northern Nevada in (hopefully) cooler temps on my 950-A.

Questions: How did they preform while you had them?
Can you tell us what % of dirt vs. pavement you rode?

Thanks!

Pointman

[quote=sponge315]Since the DUROs were almost like free cheap. I bought 2 rears and one front for my R100GS Mounted up the first set without tubes. Front is holding up Ok but the rear developed crackes between the Knobs on my first 1K trip. (mostly interstate some back road). I watched it and but didn't change it for about 2K more miles. When it statred to lose big enough pieces of rubber to see belts I changed it.
IBA #5
CarsonTahoeAdventureMoto.com
Pointman0853 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 07:50 PM   #104
bgoodsoil OP
Dare to be Stupid

Oddometer: 4,238
I went through 3 sets of Duros on my KLR and loved them. They handled well on the road for me since I don't push my luck in twisties and bit in well in muddy hill climbs. Rears lasted me about 5,000 miles.

I've got a front on my G/S and I'm waiting for the rear Distanzia to give out before I spoon the Duro rear on. I really don't think it's going to fit with my Ohlin's shock. The Duros are very wide and the Distanzia rubs already. I'll post up some pics when I get 'em ready. Hopefully next week.

Proud SmugMug User Support ADV: Don't give those cheap bums your discount code
bgoodsoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 01:33 PM   #105
batoutoflahonda
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,368
Mefo's and Shinko's

Just chucked my Mefo Explorers after 6K+. Great tire. They were the new style with high wear bar in the back. The things had enough tread to go another 1,000 to 2,000 miles but the front was cone shaped and the rear was square, made for some fun corners. If i were on a long trip, they would have stayed on.

zero to five:

Mefo:
Wear
spoonability (get ready for a fight)
on road
off road
price (last set I priced was 300 for the set. this is offset by the mileage one gets)

Spooned on some Shinko 705 (very easy to install, not like the Mefo's that I broke an iron on.) yesterday and they roll nice. But, they corner funny. They seem to be slow to go in but once they do they transition fast. I thought at first they were just sliding being new and all, but still leery about powering into corners as they just don't feel right leaned over, powering into an apex. Once into the turn though, then getting on the gas, they haven't slid yet. Or maybe I've just been milking the Mefo's along to long and forgot what a turn feels like. On the other hand, there are no more chicken strips.Off road they handle much like the Tourance. They drift in soft gravel, squarely in the mud.

Shinko 705:

wear-unknown
spoonability:
on road: (very smooth)
off road:
price: ( a little over 100 bucks, delivered worth a try at that price)

Any-hooo, they are on a '81G/S.

Save lives. Legalize lane sharing.

Cow eyes don't glow.

batoutoflahonda screwed with this post 09-13-2009 at 03:24 PM
batoutoflahonda is offline   Reply With Quote