Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-13-2009, 04:41 PM   #106
batoutoflahonda
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,376
Quote:
Originally Posted by datchew
I'm really interested in those IRC GP-1's. They come in GS sizes (metric equiv) and they are well spoken of in the KLR and thumper circles.

I don't know if they're tubeless though. I don't think I'd want them if they're tube-type only.

LINK
Can't comment on the GP-1, but I've used the GP-110 on my XR600R and loved them. Ran them through Baja and had no issues. They gripped great on the road, were pretty smooth (sang a bit) and handled loose sand (the beach type too), hard pack (helps if air down if it's loose), and gravel really well. Got good wear out of them as well. Bear in mind tho that the XR is at least 100 lbs lighter than a GS.

As far as tubeless vs tube type tire, you can put the tube in a tubeless with no issues. Unless it's a preference thing.

Save lives. Legalize lane sharing.

Cow eyes don't glow.
batoutoflahonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 10:28 AM   #107
bmwblake
upside down parker

Oddometer: 3,274
how many miles are you getting out of a rear distanzia?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgoodsoil
I went through 3 sets of Duros on my KLR and loved them. They handled well on the road for me since I don't push my luck in twisties and bit in well in muddy hill climbs. Rears lasted me about 5,000 miles.

I've got a front on my G/S and I'm waiting for the rear Distanzia to give out before I spoon the Duro rear on. I really don't think it's going to fit with my Ohlin's shock. The Duros are very wide and the Distanzia rubs already. I'll post up some pics when I get 'em ready. Hopefully next week.
bmwblake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 10:37 AM   #108
bgoodsoil OP
Dare to be Stupid

Oddometer: 4,419
I've got 11,000 miles on the rear right now and there's almost 1/8" left at the centerline. I'll be changing it out before the rally. I did thousands of miles of dirt. I don't know if they'd last that long on all pavement.

Proud SmugMug User Support ADV: Don't give those cheap bums your discount code
bgoodsoil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 03:11 PM   #109
bgoodsoil OP
Dare to be Stupid

I tried to put that rear Duro on but it wouldn't fit. It'll rub against the shock way too bad. I've got an Ohlin's rear shock and the spring is larger than stock on those. With a standard rear shock you may be able to get one to fit but I've got no way of telling. It's up to you if you want to gamble $30 on it.

Old 09-17-2009, 03:39 PM   #110
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,430
Quote:
I've got 11,000 miles on the rear right now and there's almost 1/8" left at the centerline. I'll be changing it out before the rally. I did thousands of miles of dirt. I don't know if they'd last that long on all pavement.
I have about 9-10k on my distanzia rear and still have about 1/8" left too. Mine probably has done 90% paved. Great tires.

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.
Airhead Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 03:55 PM   #111
bmwblake
upside down parker

that's gonna be the next tire i try after i kill this horrid maxxis 6006 rear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhead Wrangler
I have about 9-10k on my distanzia rear and still have about 1/8" left too. Mine probably has done 90% paved. Great tires.
Old 09-17-2009, 04:20 PM   #112
bgoodsoil OP
Dare to be Stupid

I've got a Kenda 761 on the rear now.

It's about the same width as the Distanzia. $53 for a rear versus $103 on the Distanzia. The price is good but it sure would be nice to be able to go 6 months without changing tires. My lazy side is saying 'buy more Distanzias.'

Old 09-17-2009, 05:52 PM   #113
bmwblake
upside down parker

i ran one of those and got maybe 5k out of the rear. i think i'm going to pay up and stay away from cheap tires this next time around.

Quote:
I've got a Kenda 761 on the rear now.

It's about the same width as the Distanzia. $53 for a rear versus $103 on the Distanzia. The price is good but it sure would be nice to be able to go 6 months without changing tires. My lazy side is saying 'buy more Distanzias.'
Old 12-19-2009, 12:32 PM   #114
bgoodsoil OP
Dare to be Stupid

Because I couldn't fit the rear Duro I ran a front Duro and a rear Kenda K761. I ended up doing a lot of highway over the last few months and the tires were both toast at around 5k.

The direction arrow on the front said to have the apex pointed forward. It handled okay but for now on I'm having the apex point backwards no matter what the tire says. Does anybody have any good info on which way the front should point?

I took the bike straight to some dirt when I put them on. The front held up fine but the rear was very squirrely. Any time you throw on new tires you're going to compare them to the last set you had. I did thousands of miles of dirt over the summer and the Distanzias felt much more planted than the Kenda. I don't push tires to their limit on the road so my only road performance criteria is mileage and the Distanzia lasted twice as long.

Conclusion on the K761: don't buy them. The Distanzias handle better and last twice as long. The cost difference is a wash when you account for mileage.

I thought about getting a narrower rear Duro and trying it but I didn't want to chance it. I've got a set of the IRC GP-110s on the way and another set of Distanzias for next summer's trip.

Old 12-19-2009, 02:03 PM   #115
bmwblake
upside down parker

told you so on the k761. glad to hear your opinion on the distanzias. i'm hoping that funny shapped package under the tree is a set for my bike.

Quote:
Because I couldn't fit the rear Duro I ran a front Duro and a rear Kenda K761. I ended up doing a lot of highway over the last few months and the tires were both toast at around 5k.

The direction arrow on the front said to have the apex pointed forward. It handled okay but for now on I'm having the apex point backwards no matter what the tire says. Does anybody have any good info on which way the front should point?

I took the bike straight to some dirt when I put them on. The front held up fine but the rear was very squirrely. Any time you throw on new tires you're going to compare them to the last set you had. I did thousands of miles of dirt over the summer and the Distanzias felt much more planted than the Kenda. I don't push tires to their limit on the road so my only road performance criteria is mileage and the Distanzia lasted twice as long.

Conclusion on the K761: don't buy them. The Distanzias handle better and last twice as long. The cost difference is a wash when you account for mileage.

I thought about getting a narrower rear Duro and trying it but I didn't want to chance it. I've got a set of the IRC GP-110s on the way and another set of Distanzias for next summer's trip.

Old 12-19-2009, 02:18 PM   #116
Beemerboff
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,299
No set rule , the Lasertecson my R75/7 go the opposite way to the Distanzas on the G/S.

Both work very well.

What size rear Distanza are you ruunning - I ordered a 4" for my G/S and they sent a 110/80 instead, which actually is 110 on the rim.
Just wondered if a 120 fits and works any better than a 110.
Old 12-19-2009, 02:49 PM   #117
bgoodsoil OP
Dare to be Stupid

Quote:
told you so on the k761. glad to hear your opinion on the distanzias. i'm hoping that funny shapped package under the tree is a set for my bike.
we seem to be learning the hard way on some of the same tires. We both got screwed on the k761 and the Maxxis. We should coordinate this stuff. Learn from others' mistakes and all. Let's hope that package isn't a fancy new set of GP-110s!

I run a 120 Distanzia on the rear.

I updated the first page so all the tires are clickable. You can see pictures and current prices easier. I need to stop being lazy and put all the Bridgestones on there but there's so darn many.

*edit: Bridgestones are up! I think I might've missed a few though. They're numbering is odd and it's hard to see which front is supposed to go with which rear sometimes.

I can't get SouthWest Moto Tire's web page to load. Is it a temporary thing or are they gone?

bgoodsoil screwed with this post 12-19-2009 at 04:59 PM
Old 12-19-2009, 05:19 PM   #118
bmwblake
upside down parker

the maxxis is at least great on mileage. I can't kill the rear. Too bad it slides at the least sign of moisture.

Quote:
we seem to be learning the hard way on some of the same tires. We both got screwed on the k761 and the Maxxis. We should coordinate this stuff. Learn from others' mistakes and all. Let's hope that package isn't a fancy new set of GP-110s!

I run a 120 Distanzia on the rear.

I updated the first page so all the tires are clickable. You can see pictures and current prices easier. I need to stop being lazy and put all the Bridgestones on there but there's so darn many.

*edit: Bridgestones are up! I think I might've missed a few though. They're numbering is odd and it's hard to see which front is supposed to go with which rear sometimes.

I can't get SouthWest Moto Tire's web page to load. Is it a temporary thing or are they gone?
Old 12-19-2009, 05:55 PM   #119
bgoodsoil OP
Dare to be Stupid

my rear was bald at less than 4,000 but I spend a lot of time on the pavement.

Old 12-19-2009, 07:05 PM   #120
bmwblake
upside down parker

i must have a special edition. i've got at least 6k on this one including a slab ride to new orleans and back. after that 1100 mile ride the rear maxxis looked the same as when i left.

Quote:
my rear was bald at less than 4,000 but I spend a lot of time on the pavement.