User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-05-2004, 07:20 AM   #1
Dirt Rider OP
Old Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
Question '02 or '04 DR650?

I'm just about to buy a new '04 DR650. However, I found what appears to be a like new '02 with less than 2000 miles. So, DR Dudes, Is there much difference from the '02 to '04 models such as engine upgrades, minor annoyances fixed or suspension changes? Thanks!
Dirt Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2004, 08:21 AM   #2
bestride
Coyote

Oddometer: 100
I don't know of any major changes to recent DR650 bikes. If you get the '02 bike, you'll save some $ for some mods, new tires, and a nice pair of riding boots. As long as the '02 has no structural damage, go for it. Just get it dirty as soon as you get it.
Old 06-05-2004, 06:52 PM   #3
Mountain Goat
Wandering Bike Dude

Oddometer: 205
One Difference:

Most of the 04 DR650s are supposed to have the new improved metal cylinder base gasket installed at the factory. The 02 DR650s do not. I don't know if you are familiar with it, but there has been a problem with some DR650s developing a leak at the base of the cylinder.

Just something to think about. By the way I have an 03 DR650 that I really like and have no leaks yet. Crossing my fingers.

MG
Mountain Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2004, 10:26 PM   #4
ram1000
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,812
My wife's DR650 is an '02 and no leaks yet, but I really think the leaks are caused by the heat generated from the lean jetting. That has been hcanged on her bike and I don't expect it to blow the gasket. A friends '01 DR650 did blow the gasket at about 6k miles and when he fixed it he found that he had a burnt valve also. Since then he has succumed to a jet change. He resisted too long. The factory knows what it is doing...
ram1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2004, 10:29 PM   #5
Superannuated
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 279
Yes, the only difference between the '02 and the '04 is that the '04 may have (but not necessarily) the new metal base gasket. If there is a small metal tab sticking out from the gasket at the left front of the engine, it's metal and reportedly not prone to leaking. The fiber gasket previously used (and for some reason apparently still being used on some '04s) can develop a leak after a few thousand miles, however some owners report no such problems after many miles of use. If you get the '04, make certain that it has the metal gasket.

Sometimes the fiber gasket leak can be fixed (re-tightening the head bolts to specs, using silicone sealant) but if these don't work, it is a big job to tear down the motor to replace the gasket yourself, or quite expensive to pay to have it done.

If the original owner of the '02 bought the extended warantee, Suzuki should make good on the repairs if it starts to leak, otherwise the fix is probably yours to do/pay.

It seems that Suzuki has sorted out the rest of the bike pretty well. In stock form it tends to run somewhat hot, but this can be fixed, and quite a bit of power unleashed, by rejetting and opening the airbox. If you like to run fast in the dirt, suspension upgrades are readily available.

Whichever bike you get, enjoy.

Superannuated
Superannuated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2004, 09:39 AM   #6
Nessman
Cluttered Minimalist

Oddometer: 1,561
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram1000
My wife's DR650 is an '02 and no leaks yet, but I really think the leaks are caused by the heat generated from the lean jetting. That has been hcanged on her bike and I don't expect it to blow the gasket. A friends '01 DR650 did blow the gasket at about 6k miles and when he fixed it he found that he had a burnt valve also. Since then he has succumed to a jet change. He resisted too long. The factory knows what it is doing...
Hey ram,

How does the wife like the DR? I crashed my wife's Guzzi and owe her a new bike while I rebuild the Goose for ME. I need a dualsport and the wife needs a bike that she would be comfortable riding on the highway and trails.

Killin' two birds with one stone as they say.

Did you replace the seat or does the stocker become a more pliable piece of wood after a few miles?

Thanks,

Matt
tonti@gte.net
Nessman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2004, 08:16 AM   #7
Dirt Rider OP
Old Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
Thaks for the input. I looked at the '02 for sale and I'm gonna pass on it. It appeared to have been stored outside and had rust and a lot of oxidation on the motor and other bare aluminum. Also sand around the axles. It had been to beaches and probably not cleaned very well. Gonna buy the '04.
Dirt Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2004, 10:42 AM   #8
Superannuated
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 279
Good choice

Hope you enjoy the bike.

Superannuated
Superannuated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2004, 01:59 PM   #9
bestride
Coyote