User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-02-2009, 05:17 PM   #1
Too_Tall OP
The Belgian

Oddometer: 573
Review: Protaper ATV high handlebars

After my last ride, I noticed my right wrist became cramped. After soem fiddling, I found out it was the bend in the OEM bars. Some searching led me to the Protaper ATV High bars.

Placement was easy, first loosen all the stuff on the OEM handlebar. Then slide the handlebar all the way to one side and slide stuff off the other side, and vice versa.

The crossbar has a thick foam pad on it, but my Scotts Steering Stabilizer was in the way. I could use it that way, but I wanted to be able to reach the dial. So, a screwdriver between the foam and the bar, a bit of WD40 and it slid right off.

Reinstall same as install, no longer hoses needed with no risers. Very happy with it's position now, feels better allready!

Remember to file off the tabs on the inside of the clamshell-like switchhousings. They have a tab that sits in a hole on the OEM bar, don't need that.

Stock bar ends don't work, need to be modded. I installed Acerbis handguards instead.
Too_Tall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 06:03 PM   #2
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,850
Nicely done! Your VStrom is getting the royal treatment! I don't think I've seen a stabilizer installed on WeeStrom
Old 03-21-2011, 07:36 PM   #3
theDoktor
Husky Racer

Oddometer: 137
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Too_Tall View Post
After my last ride, I noticed my right wrist became cramped. After soem fiddling, I found out it was the bend in the OEM bars. Some searching led me to the Protaper ATV High bars.

Placement was easy, first loosen all the stuff on the OEM handlebar. Then slide the handlebar all the way to one side and slide stuff off the other side, and vice versa.

The crossbar has a thick foam pad on it, but my Scotts Steering Stabilizer was in the way. I could use it that way, but I wanted to be able to reach the dial. So, a screwdriver between the foam and the bar, a bit of WD40 and it slid right off.

Reinstall same as install, no longer hoses needed with no risers. Very happy with it's position now, feels better allready!

Remember to file off the tabs on the inside of the clamshell-like switchhousings. They have a tab that sits in a hole on the OEM bar, don't need that.

Stock bar ends don't work, need to be modded. I installed Acerbis handguards instead.
A couple of questions:
1. The Pro Taper bar: Is this a standard diameter bar (7/8") or a Fat Bar? I have the same cramped right arm issue that I discovered on my first ride. Does the Pro Taper bar have less pull-back than the OEM bar? Any other recommendations for bars?
2. The handguards: Any pros/cons on the Acerbis vs the Highway Dirt Bike guards (other than cost)? Any other recommendations?
3. What did you use for replacement grips?

I plan on ordering bars & handguards this week, so any responses would be welcome!
Thanks.
theDoktor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 12:21 AM   #4
Too_Tall OP
The Belgian

Standard 7/8". Less pullback, wrists are better positioned.

Acerbis need the adapter kit, and it can be a bit of a pain to get them to fit with the controls. Might need to file the end of the brake lever so it doesn't bind on the inside of the metal brace

I placed Oxford heated grips with grip puppies, but the puppies were too thick so I cut them off. Ran the Strom for 20.000km's like that.

Sold the Strom last month and got a Super Ténéré instead, so can't be of any more help. Great bike though!
Old 03-22-2011, 10:56 AM   #5
sierraoffroad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,326
i have the same setup on my wee and love it. i have the same exact acerbis enduro guards as well. when my scott grips wear out i'm putting on a set of protaper half waffle/half knurled. i have the symtec grip heaters. I used cycra probend brackets to attach the handguards.
sierraoffroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 09:30 AM   #6
nephron
countercurrent exchanger

Oddometer: 230
remove padded crossbar?

just got some protapers on and getting used to them- but one complaint is that the padded crossbar gets in the way of inserting and removing the key. does it serve any function, other than looking tough?
nephron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 11:06 AM   #7
Too_Tall OP
The Belgian

I'm sure it does, but you can always do as I did, remove the foam...slides right off!
Old 12-20-2011, 12:51 PM   #8
barnyard
Verbal tactician

Oddometer: 10,844
Quote:
Originally Posted by nephron View Post
just got some protapers on and getting used to them- but one complaint is that the padded crossbar gets in the way of inserting and removing the key. does it serve any function, other than looking tough?

It helps stiffen the bar in the event of a drop or crash. Even then, 7/8ths bars are very bendable. IMO, fatbars are so much more durable it is worth the little extra dough and extra fitting time needed to install.
Old 03-09-2012, 05:15 AM   #9
whittrated03
Steady Rollin' Man

Oddometer: 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by nephron View Post
The foam is to protrect your melon in a wreck.
Old 03-09-2012, 10:43 AM   #10
SPO
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 146
Just installed the same bar on my r80st. What a difference! Stock bars put my wrists at a weird, unnatural angle. Extended rides became painful. Looked around, and these bars were the ticket. Hat to sand the ends down a bit to fit the BMW controls onto the bars, but no big deal. Apparently it's a metric/sae thing. No biggie. Pretty sure I got them off of amazon for about $45ish.

Anyway, great bars, low price, and comfy. Nailed it!
SPO is offline   Reply With Quote