Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-03-2009, 09:12 PM   #16
tmex
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,039
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucko
But how low for an engine designed to use premium? In high altitude areas, the octane of all grades is reduced because of lower amounts of oxygen in the air. I'd surmise you can still get an engine to ping at high altitude by running too low an octane.

Note to Tmex: you can't always hear pinging and the damage may take some time to show up. Keep us posted.
Bucko, I can hear parts pinging when I clean them in low octane gas.
Old 03-04-2009, 06:28 AM   #17
Bucko
In a parallel world

Oddometer: 808
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmex
Bucko, I can hear parts pinging when I clean them in low octane gas.
Bucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 10:02 AM   #18
tipler OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 92
I was wondering if you had the remap done. I'm plannning on a trip round the TLH and there's not much premium in most places along that route. Also, a lot a places around the more interesting destinations in Newfoundland don't stock Premium.

How far can you get on a tank before the light comes on with the remap??/

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaner32
I had mine remapped before leaving the dealership. I only had a chance of putting on a little over 800 Km (500 miles) before it got too cold to ride and had to put it away.

The day before I put it away, I rode about 450 Km to the inlaws and back home and had to gas up. Speeds were around 80 to 120 KPH (50 to 70 MPH).

IIRC I put in 14.6 litres and travelled app. 330 kilometers. Which for mileage would end up being: 22.5 Km/L or 53 miles/USG.

Planning on doing a trip to northern Quebec this summer, and possibly James Bay and the North Rd next year. There would be no premium fuel around there.

Someone could carry some octane booster, but how much would you have to add for every tank?
tipler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 03:39 PM   #19
zaner32
In over my head

Oddometer: 644
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipler
I was wondering if you had the remap done. I'm plannning on a trip round the TLH and there's not much premium in most places along that route. Also, a lot a places around the more interesting destinations in Newfoundland don't stock Premium.

How far can you get on a tank before the light comes on with the remap??/
When I did the TLH on the KLR, I don't recall seeing any premium gas at all. Around St-Anthony, one spot had premium gas pumps, but no premium fuel was available.

I think the light came on at about the 300 Km mark.

zaner32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 01:20 AM   #20
WOLVERINE
Keep her pinned!

Oddometer: 615
I'm wondering if the GS911 down the road will include that feature of changing it on the fly? Should ask Stephan if he's considering it!

2008 R1200GSA
WOLVERINE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 07:05 AM   #21
DiabloBlanco
Intl' Hops Inspector

Oddometer: 301
Random note
I had thought about getting the computer remapped before a South to Central to North America ride... wound up not remapping it and not needing it, high octane was available everywhere
US (MN, WI, IA, KS, OK, MO, TX), Mexico, Belize, Guatemala, El Salvador, Honduras, Nicaragua, Costa Rica, Panama, Colombia, Venezuela. 11 down, 184 to go.
DiabloBlanco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 10:20 AM   #22
LaPorte
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 455
Premium Fuel?

I will soon be getting my 2010 f 800 GS and I was woundering about the premium fuel requirment. Specially if you do a Mexico/Baja trip. I have a KTM 450 EXC and the book says to use hi octane fuel. I have run both premium and regular and have not noticed a problem, nor have I unpluged the mapping wire. Yes it's carbureted, but high compression is hi compression. I would think a tank of regular fuel now and then in the f 800, if you had to use regular, wouldn't hurt. I wouldn't run regular as the only fuel. There is always octane booster.

LaPorte
Old 09-15-2009, 11:27 AM   #23
DiabloBlanco
Intl' Hops Inspector

Oddometer: 301
No a tank here or there of regular wouldn't be such a bad thing, but you shouldn't have a problem finding high octane in Mexico... They have their fair share of Audis and BMWs and high end cars on their roads as well...
US (MN, WI, IA, KS, OK, MO, TX), Mexico, Belize, Guatemala, El Salvador, Honduras, Nicaragua, Costa Rica, Panama, Colombia, Venezuela. 11 down, 184 to go.
DiabloBlanco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 12:25 PM   #24
sturgeon
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 901
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96KLR650
I'm wondering if the GS911 down the road will include that feature of changing it on the fly? Should ask Stephan if he's considering it!
Judging from their FAQ, I'd say probably not. It seems to involve re-flashing the ECU, and since that has a limit on how many times it can be done over its lifetime, they seem to be saying no way to that feature.
sturgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 06:26 AM   #25
Camel ADV
aka Oso Blanco

Oddometer: 1,290
I had mine remapped. Haven't noticed a loss of power or increased fuel consumption. Currently 17,000km into RTW trip and have averaged 4.2L/100km (figured out on paper not the trip computer). No idea what octane some of the fuel was as it was poured out of 4litre oil jugs from behind some guys house. The bike ran great, no issues at all. I'm pretty happy with that mileage considering the varying terrain, speed, fuel quality and altitude not to mention the bike is fully loaded (over 800lbs with rider).
Camel ADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 10:38 PM   #26
Full Power
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,392
90 Octane premium fuel is unavailable over most of Alaska. Only cities, and paved roads have premium.
Dealer talked me OUT of re-mapping the F800, said it would be un-necessary.
When possible, I fill with 90 octane, but had to run 87 for a thousand miles, one weekend.... with no audible harm ( Bike runs great, not sure HOW it can get by on 87 octane with 12 to one compression, but it, apparently DOES. )
Old 07-16-2013, 08:26 AM   #27
too old for dirt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 163
Did re-map on my 2012. Noticed a slight loss of power, but still more power than I need. Did not notice any change in milage. Still 50/51 mpg.

Use it to ride TAT and there are many places where Hi test is not available.
too old for dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 09:42 PM   #28
Full Power
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,392
Here is a question for those that HAVE Re-mapped an F800 for low octane:
... Anyone returned their bike to the HIGH-Octane map, and noted any functional change ?
Thanks..
Old 10-06-2013, 05:16 PM   #29
SOP Dirt-Rider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 557
FWIW, higher octane results in lower BTUs/available energy. The increase in performance comes from the higher compression of the engine itself, not the fuel. IOW, remapping will have no effect. Altering timing may have the desired effect. A simple solution would be to carry along the appropriate octane booster and add as needed. Do your own research here as some of the boosters just aint.
SOP Dirt-Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 06:14 PM   #30
Bayner
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,457
I've considered switching mine back, but in reality I just don't see the point. If there's a performance loss it's not in the RPM range I typically run around at...
Bayner is offline   Reply With Quote